Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach prep-where r u holding?
Previous  1  2

amother
Feverfew

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:34 am
Shopping list is done
Cars are done
Upstairs and basement done
Kitchen is fully cleaned
Kashering happening today

Still need to clean the main floor
Need to shop
Need to cook and bake

amother
Butterscotch

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:37 am
amother Lily wrote:
I have no help and work fulltime. Bh we are only home chol hamoed and last days. I do need to bake to take along so we have breakfast and snacks.

I hope to kosher tomorrow night. It means I have to clean my fridge and stove in the next 24 hours.

My teen kids refuse to help. They don't say it outright, they just tell me that they will help at 2 pm, in 10 minutes. Dh just tells me he is exhausted because he works. I feel like crying.
No idea how I will manage when we do stay home all Pesach (which is likely next year, for various reasons)

Crying I know the feeling of overwhelm and having able bodied people home who won't help.
Please sit down with your teens and tell them that you NEED their help and can NOT make pesach on your own.

My teen dd helps tremendously bli ayin hara, but is resentful that her brothers aren't.

yesterday I gave teen ds 4 jobs. One he completed, 2 he did3/4 job and felt it was enough, and the fourth he started and made a mess and dh told him to stop.
We had an open conversation last night. He doesn't want to do spring cleaning type jobs that give me menuchas hanefesh and simcha, like gardening and wiping hand prints off walls. He wants to do essential pesach cleaning. And he likes jobs that have very measurable goals.
I told him that if it brings me simcha and I asked him to, he should because of kibbud horim, but that knowing that I'll try to give him direct pesach measurable jobs.

heidi

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:37 pm
House is done. Kitchen is half clean- I work tomorrow and don't want to get mad at anyone for messing it up so when I get home I will kasher the ovens (they've been cleaned, just need to be wiped down and kashered) and stovetop. I will clean the sinks and start the timer for 24 hours. IYH will turn over thursday evening and cover till friday. Going away for shabbos b"H so will bake on Friday and cook sunday and monday.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:41 pm
We got this ladies.
One task at a time
completed dining room and brought down Pesach utensils etc.
Will do kitchen tomorrow evening and start cooking Thurs.
The errands are endless but I do have kids who will do a couple each day this week....BH
Personally I just daven for strength.
I've stocked up on Power Aid for what it's worth lol, and let's all remember to eat well and sit down to eat, it really does help.
I try treat myself to a good big salad from the local restaurant which I can eat over 2 days....think pasta or quinoa....

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:06 pm
amother Navy wrote:
Going away for shabbous want to cover counters wash all linens Thursday maybe even set the Seder table Thursday… most of cooking is done.. I get so stressed about pesach I start right after Chanukah. Not having guest first days unfortunately

Very similar to this, but I've finished cooking until erev BH. And I don't start chanukah. I start after Purim (I did this year anyway) going away for Shabbos, buying all the food, and turning over kitchen on Thursday. My Pesach kitchen is in my garage, not directly off the house, so we need the regular kitchen sorting.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 12:58 am
BH kitchen is kashered and cleaned. Now need to cover
Still have dining room, backpacks, etc.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 1:40 am
I did the bedrooms.
Still need to do bathrooms, laundry area, hallway, living room, kitchen, and cars.
Cars are my husbands issue.
I hope to turn over motzei shabbos/ Sunday.
First time making pesach so lots of shopping to do.
Everything will get done im not worried. I mostly cook fresh on yom tov. We eat very few stuff.
I worked until now and have two toddlers and pregnant bh so im proud of what I did so far

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 4:46 am
Um...Pesach? Hiding

We have family members that needed a lot of help from us this year (due to medical situations, though thankfully B"H out of sakanah - yay!), so my motto for the year - sorry to say but true - is our place is going to look awful but the chametz will be gone.

Forget cleaned, pressed, scrubbed down - everyone is responsible for getting chametz out of their own areas, we are turning over the kitchen, locking up nearly every cabinet, and just turning over some open shelves. The rest of the groceries may land up living in grocery delivery boxes until the stuff on the shelves gets used up. Laundry is happening, dry cleaning may happen, and I have told my crew that if anyone needs anything ordered like clothes, shoes, etc they are responsible for getting me the links, and I will put in the order from there. I am not hounding them to remind them, they are old enough that the worst that will happen is they won't have something super new for Pesach (yes, everyone has stuff that fits and is in ok enough shape).

We are mostly shopped for the first days, though I need to pick up more perishables as we get closer. And some more odds and ends. The last day stuff I will worry about during chol hamoed (sigh). Kitchen usually doesn't get fully turned over till the last minute, so that's fine, but the place usually looks really nice for that once a year LOL, and that's soooo not happening this year. It's a little annoying, but as one of my seminary teachers used to say - girls, dirt is not chametz and your children are not the korban Pesach! (If any of you went to Sara Schenirer many many years ago in Boro Park, you maybe remember the teacher - what a sweetie, and great about teaching us what was important in life).

LeMortedeLilac

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:57 am
Basement cleaned. Just need to make the beds for guests but bedding is washed. Bedrooms were cleaned but will do a quick vacuum on Sunday. My office and first floor will get done tomorrow by the cleaning woman. Gazebo and light fixtures, today by my teenage daughter. Cars, Friday by husband. He'll turn the kitchen over Sunday morning. That's it. We shopped for all the dry pesach foods and stuff already, just need fridge foods, meats, fresh things. Uch. Feels like a lot. But you know what I have the most of? Toys for the Seder. We have sticky frogs that hang off our cups. Matzo ball men that you squeeze and they shoot matzo balls from their hat. Masks. Tons of different frogs for the table. Since I got the fun stuff already, whatever else is secondary. Iyh, the seders will be lovely and fun.

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:03 am
So I turned over on Sunday and I started cooking.
The thing is, I still have chometz in my kitchen. One side of the kitchen- table area is where my chometz food boxes are including the toaster oven and sandwich maker. I blocked off the area where I’m cooking with tape so no one walks there aside for me. We are using the bathroom sink for washing since the kitchen sinks are kashered.
After shabbos we have to clean the kitchen chairs and the whole eating area.
Although I cleaned my fridge, I still have some chometz items that I need to get rid of after shabbos.
I also have to clean out my freezer but it’s getting close to empty now so hopefully it won’t be too hard. I’m using my extra freezer in my garage to store my pesach food.
So I’m cooking for pesach but there is still chometz going on which makes me very nervous. I have a lot of people I need to cook for and this is the only way I can do it. Maybe next year I’ll have a proper pesach kitchen?
My dining room is done but I’m waiting for my husband to go through his seforim.
My son did my car but I see some areas he definitely didn’t do so it’s not completely checked off the list yet.
I’m cooking but I’m not completely done with cleaning. IyH by Sunday we’ll all get there!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics