Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How long should self clean cycle be?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 12:25 pm
how long?

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 12:26 pm
Your oven tells you how long it takes. It's not like you can set it for 30 minutes vs 4 hours.
It usually takes 3 hours, and then stays locked another hour.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 12:31 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
Your oven tells you how long it takes. It's not like you can set it for 30 minutes vs 4 hours.
It usually takes 3 hours, and then stays locked another hour.
The oven says 3 hours but if less time is needed, I would shut if off earlier.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 12:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
The oven says 3 hours but if less time is needed, I would shut if off earlier.

The kashrus agencies say to run a self clean cycle. Cycle means "a complete set or series".

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 12:48 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
The kashrus agencies say to run a self clean cycle. Cycle means "a complete set or series".

You absolutely do not need to run self-clean more than once. Self-clean is a cylce meaning it has different stages it goes through but to clean and kasher it needs to be at the correct temp for a set amount of time. The cooling stage is for safety.

It is entirely possible that a shorter time is sufficient but I personally have not asked.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 12:50 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
You absolutely do not need to run self-clean more than once. Self-clean is a cylce meaning it has different stages it goes through but to clean and kasher it needs to be at the correct temp for a set amount of time. The cooling stage is for safety.

It is entirely possible that a shorter time is sufficient but I personally have not asked.

Of course you don't need to run it more than once. And you shouldn't, if you still want an oven to use.

OP asked if she can stop it mid way through the cycle, and not wait for the oven to finish self clean.

I answered that the kashrus agencies say to run a self clean cycle (that means one cycle where the oven runs through a cleaning process that takes 3 hours, and yes that means one time for self clean). Not to close it mid way and call it a day.

Bubby6

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 12:54 pm
Don't forget to put your stovetop grates in the oven to get kashered at the same time.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 12:56 pm
Bubby6 wrote:
Don't forget to put your stovetop grates in the oven to get kashered at the same time.

Only do this if:
1. You want the rubber little feet of the grates to melt off
2. You don't mind discolored grates
3. You don't mind that the grates finish will become dry and you'll need to physically lift pots to move from burner to burner, instead of sliding across.

Best way for grates is to:
1. Clean well
2. See if you can remove rubber feet
3. Once oven has been kashered with self clean, turn oven to 550 and place grates in there for 40 minutes of libbun kal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics