Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Pesach kugel prices
Previous  1  2

amother
Gardenia

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:47 pm
I sell kugels too and it never occured to me to charge more for Pesach. Do the caterers and takeout charge more for potato kugel than they do all year round?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:49 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
No kugels are a staple on Pesach and people struggle to feed their kids on and before Pesach. You cannot compare this to a plumber. His prices for parts stay the same and isn't harder to get for Pesach. I wonder if the people commenting that it's not fair to raise the prices have ever even made Pesach, and kashered a kitchen? And even if you have a Pesach kitchen you need to make sure no chometz goes anywhere near it . It's not that simple. From the shopping to the cooking, for Pesach it's way harder work and usually much more expensive for the ingredients. You need new everything, salt , spices etc etc.

Potatoes and oil are no harder to get before pesach. Honestly it makes no difference to me what people charge I don't buy takeout. I just think how it's funny when people justify it when they raise prices but complain when others do.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:55 pm
The ingredients may not be more expensive but labor is more. You have to kasher and make sure nothing chometz or kitniyos comes into contact. Koshering is a chore. You have to get all new pans and can’t use an open box. If people pay the price she’s asking then it’s fair. It’s not for you or me or some random stranger to decide.
The supermarkets that have been around for years charge more for Pesach food. You can say they have their things from past years, why do they charge more? Same thing. Just like hamentashen on taanis ester are way more expensive than on shushan purim.

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 5:18 pm
Just psa.
Make it clear what kind of oil you use.
We have severe nut allergies and we can't eat anything with Walnut oil. Usually potato kugel is a safe food for my kids to eat but not on pesach.

Im extremely grateful that we are very makpid not to mish.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 5:21 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
We sell kugel.
For pesach we did 30% markup. Oil is much more expensive. Anyway eggs have shot up and potatoes too.
Also, the pressure of getting it all done now.
I feel bad. My husband says the same. No one is forced to buy. It's a luxury. You can make potatoes instead.
We have orders piling in. Without advertising.

Do you mind telling me how much you charge?

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 7:07 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I use walnut oil only. It’s double the price

I hear.
I only use olive oil. So it wouldn't affect me.
Also whoever mentioned eggs are double, Walmart had 60 pack eggs for under $10. Not sure where they are doubled.

zoom

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 7:18 pm
[quote="amother Hyacinth"]You can buy the oil for the same price especially if you buy it on sale[/quote

Where??
What type?
Also only use walnut oil.]

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 7:25 pm
[quote="zoom"]
amother Hyacinth wrote:
You can buy the oil for the same price especially if you buy it on sale[/quote

Where??
What type?
Also only use walnut oil.]

I use olive oil and all the supermarkets had it on sale

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 7:36 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
You can buy the oil for the same price especially if you buy it on sale

Not where I live or based on reports of literally anyone I know.

And I’m not referring to specialty oils.

Prices are insane this time of the year.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 9:20 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
I sell kugels too and it never occured to me to charge more for Pesach. Do the caterers and takeout charge more for potato kugel than they do all year round?

Same thought exactly

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 9:21 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
Not where I live or based on reports of literally anyone I know.

And I’m not referring to specialty oils.

Prices are insane this time of the year.

Where do you live? Bingo runs huge sales and things are actually cheaper than during the year so I even stock up. Many stores in major cities such as bklyn, lkwd, Monsey have really big sales pesach time.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 10:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I make kugels from home to sell during the year, I'm thinking of advertising for pesach also, how much would you pay for a potato kugel for pesach? Obviously has to be more because ingredients are more expensive for pesach, Lakewood area

Potatoes are more expensive? I don’t think the price should be significantly raised.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 10:55 pm
Where are potatoes and olive oil MORE expensive this time of year? I've seen them be cheaper or the same price everyone I've been

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:44 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:

Umm, YES!!!
Let OP charge what she wants. People who will buy will buy. She also needs to make Pesach. Matzah isn’t cheap!

kenz

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 12:16 am
Perhaps there are sales for a limited time but the price of oil definitely goes up now and olive oil is expensive to begin with. And you bet caterers are raising their prices when it comes to Pesach food. Walk into any of the fancier supermarkets that have takeout for Pesach and check out the menu. Way higher than year-round.

camp123

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 4:08 am
Prices are set by supply and demand, if you are the only person selling kugel in your community you can charge 1000 dollars, if people don't buy it , you'll have to put the price down. And if everyone See's that you could sell kugel for 1000 dollars they'll start making kugel also, and the price will come down.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 8:21 am
amother Ebony wrote:
We sell kugel.
For pesach we did 30% markup. Oil is much more expensive. Anyway eggs have shot up and potatoes too.
Also, the pressure of getting it all done now.
I feel bad. My husband says the same. No one is forced to buy. It's a luxury. You can make potatoes instead.
We have orders piling in. Without advertising.
This, for some it's a lifesaver. (just like they pay for extra cleaning help)

freilich

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 8:26 am
Pesach food cannot be made as much in advance as chometz. Even if the ingredients are the same, the stress is so much higher. Absolutely makes more sense to get paid more for the tircha.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 8:30 am
Does the hashgacha that certifies charge more?
I would use that as my percentage of increase
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers