Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Pesach kugel prices
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 9:46 am
I make kugels from home to sell during the year, I'm thinking of advertising for pesach also, how much would you pay for a potato kugel for pesach? Obviously has to be more because ingredients are more expensive for pesach, Lakewood area

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 9:52 am
40% more (if $30 regularly, then $42 for pesach)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 10:17 am
Thank you

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 10:19 am
Not trying to be rude...just curious...how is potato kugel more? Prices of potatoes, eggs, oil same for me in Brooklyn. Broccoli and cauliflower same prices too...maybe even cheaper with sales. Kugels with crumbs I understand the price increase.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 10:36 am
Oil and MM is more. Many things are more. onions, eggs, tins, preparing for Pesach kitchen. It adds up. Hatzlocha.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:42 am
Why would pesach potato kugel be more? It's literally potatoes onions oil and salt, zero specialty ingredients. Sorry but this is taking advantage for no reason.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:49 am
The oil does cost more and you might have a harder to work with setup. Maybe you're turning over a week earlier than you would've to make kugels.

A markup makes sense to me, no one is forced to buy your kugel.

kenz

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:16 pm
amother Navy wrote:
The oil does cost more and you might have a harder to work with setup. Maybe you're turning over a week earlier than you would've to make kugels.

I agree. It’s a service so you don’t have to make your own kugel. Some people get very overwhelmed and are willing to spend the extra money. You’re not one of them, great - don’t!
That being said, many people who buy from you during the year may not want to for Pesach due to extra chumros in kashrus, so take that into consideration too. You don’t want to end up wasting a lot of extra time for a freezer full of kugel…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:36 pm
I sell by orders only
Thank you everyone

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:41 pm
amother Navy wrote:

You can buy the oil for the same price especially if you buy it on sale

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:46 pm
My kugel would be the same exact price. It's not more expensive to make kugel on pesach. With that being said, you can charge what you want. If someone wants to buy it than it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not.

Busybee5

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:48 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
Why would pesach potato kugel be more? It's literally potatoes onions oil and salt, zero specialty ingredients. Sorry but this is taking advantage for no reason.

No it's not! Of course it should be more expensive. Even if the ingredients are the same price (they're not!) then it's way more work to cook others kugels for Pesach!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:53 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
My kugel would be the same exact price. It's not more expensive to make kugel on pesach. With that being said, you can charge what you want. If someone wants to buy it than it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not.

I use walnut oil only. It’s double the price

Sebastian

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:54 pm
I was going to say a 20 to 25 percent markup. 40 percent is a lot

Cookin4days

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:56 pm
amother Ginger wrote:

Taking advantage?
No one has to buy her kugel, it’s not a necessity. She can charge $1000’s if she wants to and it’s still not taking advantage

Busybee5

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:00 pm
Sebastian wrote:
I was going to say a 20 to 25 percent markup. 40 percent is a lot

Id say go with 40 percent markup and see if you get orders. It's worth a lot for people to get their kugels ready made for Pesach. You can always lower the price, if you see no one is interested but making kugels is a ton of work. Add to that in a kashered, turned over kitchen or Pesach kitchen, and it's even harder. Add to that the more expensive ingredients...

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:32 pm
We sell kugel.
For pesach we did 30% markup. Oil is much more expensive. Anyway eggs have shot up and potatoes too.
Also, the pressure of getting it all done now.
I feel bad. My husband says the same. No one is forced to buy. It's a luxury. You can make potatoes instead.
We have orders piling in. Without advertising.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:37 pm
Everyone can charge what they want. But where does it end? Most foods aren't necessities either. You only really need matzoh chicken and wine. Why can't they mark up everything else? The electrician and plumber should charge a 40% markup before pesach too, it's hard to get around in traffic. The cleaners should charge a 40% markup they are super busy. You should pay your cleaning help 40% more they are working harder...

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:37 pm
Cookin4days wrote:
Taking advantage?
No one has to buy her kugel, it’s not a necessity. She can charge $1000’s if she wants to and it’s still not taking advantage

It's taking advantage of a situation if there is no extra work or cost on her end and she raises the price just because she can.

With that said, I can't see how a pesach setup doesn't involve more work even if the cost increase for eggs, potatoes and oil is minimal. And everyone is entitled to ask for payment for their extra work.

Busybee5

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:43 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Everyone can charge what they want. But where does it end? Most foods aren't necessities either. You only really need matzoh chicken and wine. Why can't they mark up everything else? The electrician and plumber should charge a 40% markup before pesach too, it's hard to get around in traffic. The cleaners should charge a 40% markup they are super busy. You should pay your cleaning help 40% more they are working harder...

No kugels are a staple on Pesach and people struggle to feed their kids on and before Pesach. You cannot compare this to a plumber. His prices for parts stay the same and isn't harder to get for Pesach. I wonder if the people commenting that it's not fair to raise the prices have ever even made Pesach, and kashered a kitchen? And even if you have a Pesach kitchen you need to make sure no chometz goes anywhere near it . It's not that simple. From the shopping to the cooking, for Pesach it's way harder work and usually much more expensive for the ingredients. You need new everything, salt , spices etc etc.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers