Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Is chicken soup the same as bone marrow soup?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 6:32 pm
whats the difference?

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 6:33 pm
One is made with chicken and ine is made with marrow bones. Different things.

Comptroller

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 6:35 pm
No, in general you take marrow bones from beef.

And you can taste the difference.
But some people combine bone marrow from beef and chicken carcass to make a soup.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 8:46 pm
Comptroller wrote:
No, in general you take marrow bones from beef.

And you can taste the difference.
But some people combine bone marrow from beef and chicken carcass to make a soup.

is there no marrow in the bones of chicken? (legs/thigh)

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 8:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
is there no marrow in the bones of chicken? (legs/thigh)

Very minimal amounts. When people say bone marrow they are referring to beef, not chicken

So one is a beef soup and one is a chicken soup. I have never heard of bone marrow chicken soup (or heard of stores selling just chicken marrow bones to begin with)

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 8:50 pm
Chicken soup made with bones includes not only the juices from the bones but also the collagen which melts down the longer the bones cook. Beef soup made only with marrow bones isn’t that great actually because marrow is fatty and floats but doesn’t dissolve into the soup. If you want good beef soup you need to use the bone ends that have collagen or even tendons which also melt into the broth. This is the same principle as making pitcha/gala.

That mouth feel is from melted collagen. The more solid it is when cold or especially room temperature the better the soup is.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 8:52 pm
Also, if you use chicken skin there’s a ton of collagen which stays in the liquid when the fat floats to the top. My opinion is that chicken soup made with skin is even better than made with bones.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:29 pm
Bone broth can be from chicken or beef. Typical chicken soup cooks quickly. For bone broth you need to break the bones first, or cook low and slow until the bones just fall apart and all the good stuff comes out. But if someone said marrow soup I would assume they meant a broth made from beef marrow bones. Both are very healthful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics