Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Please help me! DD behavior help
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 10:17 pm
Anyone else have any knowledge

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 10:57 pm
Would you be interested at all in going down the pandas route?

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:39 pm
Sorry I missed this thread. I have two teens who are (and were then as well) very similar.

It's been a year? So.... have any of the therapists/doctors figured out the function of the behavior? Is it attention from you? Wanting sensory input? Something tangible (a new toy or book, etc)? Once you figure out the function of the behavior things start to improve.

For my daughter (she's now 17), a lot of her behaviors were for attention. So putting her in time out, quietly coming back to place her in time out again, quietly coming back to place her in time out again (a la SuperNanny) was a great funny game to her. So I put her favorite THINGS in time out. Whatever she was playing with that day. I quietly locked it up and ignored her. Over and over again. She's doing GREAT now.

For my son (he's also 17-- twins) ---- a lot of his behaviors were for sensory needs. Specifically he needed weighted input (we had OTs and the Board of DD helping us with this)..... we got him a weighted blanket for each floor of the house..... weighted neck and lap pads, a weighted teddy bear, weighted balls to hold, a weighted hat, etc etc etc. He's not doing GREAT, but there's improvement.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:53 pm
amother Phlox wrote:
Would you be interested at all in going down the pandas route?

Have a child with pandas, know about it! It's not pandas because pandas is sudden onset this is literally since she was an infant she was always extremely challenging

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:56 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
Sorry I missed this thread. I have two teens who are (and were then as well) very similar.

It's been a year? So.... have any of the therapists/doctors figured out the function of the behavior? Is it attention from you? Wanting sensory input? Something tangible (a new toy or book, etc)? Once you figure out the function of the behavior things start to improve.

For my daughter (she's now 17), a lot of her behaviors were for attention. So putting her in time out, quietly coming back to place her in time out again, quietly coming back to place her in time out again (a la SuperNanny) was a great funny game to her. So I put her favorite THINGS in time out. Whatever she was playing with that day. I quietly locked it up and ignored her. Over and over again. She's doing GREAT now.

For my son (he's also 17-- twins) ---- a lot of his behaviors were for sensory needs. Specifically he needed weighted input (we had OTs and the Board of DD helping us with this)..... we got him a weighted blanket for each floor of the house..... weighted neck and lap pads, a weighted teddy bear, weighted balls to hold, a weighted hat, etc etc etc. He's not doing GREAT, but there's improvement.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!
What we did realize is a lot is stemming from anxiety. Now I am trying to find the right therapist who can help her and myself and DH with tools to cope with her anxiety.

Though I do still wonder if it is anxiety why is it also playing out in this type of behaviour?

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 8:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Have a child with pandas, know about it! It's not pandas because pandas is sudden onset this is literally since she was an infant she was always extremely challenging
It can still be brain inflammation even if it wasn't sudden onset, but if this isn't what you're looking for, I'm really sorry and hope I didn't cause any bad feelings.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:15 pm
Is she already in primary?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 9:16 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Is she already in primary?

Yes, why?

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 10:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Bumping up this thread it has been a full year now and nothing has changed Crying

When she is with friends she is amazing and bh school she is great but literally this morning she just woke up MAD. It makes me so sad why does she have so much anger in her at such a young age?
Just this morning she hurt my younger kids, spoke with chutzpah to me, bothered the younger kids who were playing nicely with toys, locked the door to my room, hit me.......
She is 6 now.

Looking for recs for a child therapist, best would be someone that would see myself, DH, & DD.

Thank you

I would contact chemed behavioral health and get her evaluated for ADHD or maybe another mental illness. They might match her with a therapist and and best part is they will also have a therapist to speak to parents and give advice (speaking from personal experience)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)