Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Price gouging Tu Bishvat Fruit
Previous  1  2

Highstrung

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 9:50 pm
Lita wrote:
Anyone know if there are any Asian markets in the Monsey area?

Not Asian but Food Fair in Spring Valley has all kinds of fruits
I don’t know prices though

Cmon be nice

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 10:10 pm
I have news for you. You don't need to eat anything, and if you want to, one thing is enough

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 10:11 pm
Rule of thumb is to not buy items that don’t need a hechsher in Jewish stores

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 24 2024, 10:24 am
I am curious as to why anyone is *shocked* that prices at "Jewish" stores are significantly higher for everything - which includes items which require no hecksher and can be bought at any store.

It is no different than purchasing food at convenience stores in Manhattan. When I lived there, there were a lot of Korean small stores and their prices were high because you could pick up what you needed on your walk home from the subway.

Asian markets are fabulous for produce. The one I got to even has fresh fish in large tanks.

It is a bit inconvenient but I always go in June because I love fresh litchi fruit and the difference in price is astounding - even in terms of my regular large supermarket. It will be $2.00 a pound in the Asian market and $7.00 per pound in my local large supermarket.

I have found their produce to be of exceptional quality for the most part because most Asians who shop there are very into high quality produce as they tend to be foodies - not intentionally but because their culture places a high value on good home cooked food.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics