Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Price gouging Tu Bishvat Fruit
1  2  Next

snailmail

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 1:03 pm
Of all the holidays that the Jewish stores price gouge, you may think that Tu Bishvat may get a pass, but oh no, lets over overcharge all our frum clientele for fruit, especially Shehechiyanu fruits. Most of these shehechiyanu fruits are out of season, are tasteless / not everyones taste, so are hardly eaten, but my local Jewish supermarket is selling almost every one for $9.99, Per fruit TMI
Then there are smaller fruits where you would need at least 2 or 3 for each in a family to taste, which are $6.99 each. A small Pineapple (yes I know its Hoadoma) the selling for $6.99, when a regular full sized one is $2.99!
Its not like the rest of regular fruit is priced at regular prices now, but I refused to pay such exorbitant prices. I put the few fruits I picked back and left the store. I will try other non-Jewish stores and mabe another Jewish store for half decently priced fruit before I venture back there again.
/rant

Reality

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 1:07 pm
The stores are importing expensive/exotic/out of local season fruits for a very short holiday shopping season. In two days nobody is buying this fruit.

What do you think a fair price is?

Why does everyone jump on the frum stores? If you don't want to pay exorbitant prices for weird fruit, don't buy it. The end.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 1:30 pm
Exotic fruits are expensive in general & expensive to import.
Regular fruit is not expensive & that's what we buy for tu b'shvat. Regular in season fruit, is regularly priced now at the local stores.

momsss

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 2:30 pm
I bought a pomegranate now for 9 bucks!

happy7

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 2:34 pm
Pomegranates in not Jewish stores are $2 this week.
I am not in NY or Lakewood.
I bought on Sunday.

isrmss91

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 2:54 pm
Shop the Asian Markets. They have tons of exotic fruit and a customer base who are known for not wanting to pay loads of money.

sub

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:02 pm
isrmss91 wrote:
Shop the Asian Markets. They have tons of exotic fruit and a customer base who are known for not wanting to pay loads of money.

Our son did this last year and the fruits were not good.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:02 pm
momsss wrote:

I got for $2.50 at a local jewish store.

snailmail

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:15 pm
momsss wrote:

Exactly my point!

chestnut

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:18 pm
isrmss91 wrote:

Absolutely this

chestnut

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:18 pm
sub wrote:
Our son did this last year and the fruits were not good.

Fruits from Jewish stores aren't guaranteed to be good, either.

snailmail

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:23 pm
Reality wrote:
The stores are importing expensive/exotic/out of local season fruits for a very short holiday shopping season. In two days nobody is buying this fruit.

Why does everyone jump on the frum stores? If you don't want to pay exorbitant prices for weird fruit, don't buy it. The end.

Actual example: When the Jewish supermarket sells 1 Rambutan for $6.99 EACH, but the non-jewish supermarket sells the same thing for $5.99/lb thats about 60 cents each fruit - you know the Jewish store is price gouging.

singleagain

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:53 pm
snailmail wrote:
Actual example: When the Jewish supermarket sells 1 Rambutan for $6.99 EACH, but the non-jewish supermarket sells the same thing for $5.99/lb thats about 60 cents each fruit - you know the Jewish store is price gouging.

But how many cases of rambutan are the supermarkets purchasing? When you only buy one case of a thing, it will cost a lot more than people who buy all the time or buy multiple cases.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 3:55 pm
Reality wrote:

This, I don't feel any pressure to buy Dragon Fruit at $9.99. I won't have it on my table. I may allow myself some star fruit and other cheaper options. Please don't take the pressure. It's just like the other expensive stuff that they have that's meant for certain shoppers.

jfk92

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:03 pm
isrmss91 wrote:

This. 1000 percent. I have plenty excellent experiences buying at these places. But some fruit are not my taste no matter where they are from. Also you should still lookup how to pick them.

STovah

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:04 pm
Definitely try the Asian markets and buy what’s in season.

Sb1234

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:39 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
This, I don't feel any pressure to buy Dragon Fruit at $9.99. I won't have it on my table. I may allow myself some star fruit and other cheaper options. Please don't take the pressure. It's just like the other expensive stuff that they have that's meant for certain shoppers.

FYI Dragon Fruits were 4.59 at Walmart today.

Highstrung

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 4:41 pm
My DS got a bunch of fruit that are sold year round at the international food mart in our town. Didn’t bother shopping in the frum stores for that stuff

Lita

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 6:22 pm
Anyone know if there are any Asian markets in the Monsey area?

relaxation

Post Tue, Jan 23 2024, 6:26 pm
I got passion fruit for 2.49
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics