Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Matching up socks per child

shiro

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 5:28 pm
Any ideas how to label or mark many socks of the same look and color so children know which is theirs? I tries puff paint different colors but they came off in the first wash.

teachkids

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 6:35 pm
I buy each child a different brand

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 7:25 pm
Don't know anything about what boys wear on their feet. For my girls we buy the "camp socks" (my favorite is me moi but I've seen at least one other brand in the Jewish stores) that have a white space on the bottoms to write name/initials with a sharpie.

They do fade with many washings but I can still see them well enough, and socks die at some point anyway.

If the kids are different sizes also, some brands have the size printed on each sock somewhere (me moi it's right inside the top. A different one I have, not sure the brand, it's on the sole. I think some of DH's have it near the toe?)

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 8:32 pm
1. Use dimensional fabric paint. Apply to the toe, not to the ribbed part of the sock.
2. Don't lay on a thick rope that "floats" on the surface. That will peel off easily. Use a moderate quantity and press the nozzle into the fabric so the paint sinks into the fibers a bit. Go over the mark a few times if needed.
3. Let the paint cure for 24 hours before using the item.
4. Turn the socks inside out before washing.

For kids going to camp you'll write the name on the foot, but for everyone else just draw a short line or dot at the top of the toe. Use a different color for each person. Don't use red unless you don't mind being startled over and over thinking someone's bleeding.

Reapply paint as needed.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 8:47 pm
Of course, if your kids are capable, you could simply give each kid his or her own labeled zippered mesh bag for dirty socks, wash and dry the socks right in the bags and let each kid collect his or her own bag and put it in his drawer.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Oct 17 2023, 8:51 pm
zaq wrote:
Of course, if your kids are capable, you could simply give each kid his or her own labeled zippered mesh bag for dirty socks, wash and dry the socks right in the bags and let each kid collect his or her own bag and put it in his drawer.

I was thinking mesh bags too! Great for so many purposes. For example, I use them so clothes don't get caught in fitted sheets in the dryer and stay wet. And they can save small items like baby socks from being 'eaten' by the machines.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics