Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
WWYD? Uniform skirt RIPPED at school!

momx6

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:28 am
My dd came home from school yesterday with her uniform skirt completely ripped. She had been playing on the roof of the school during recess and somehow went up against part of the fence that was sticking out/jagged.
I don't think it can be fixed. If course it's a brand new skirt!
Do I just throw it out?
Can I ask the school to replace it?
WWYD??

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:34 am
Why would the school have to replace it?
Does your daughter have more than one uniform skirt?
If not, I would say go out and get two.
Take the ripped skirt to a professional seamstress. You never know.

yOungM0mmy

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:11 am
Why on earth was your daughter on the roof, and why should the school replace it? When I was in a high school one of my classmates climbed on top of the janitor's van to get a ball that was up there, and fell on the way down, catching her skirt on the handle of the back door and ripping it. It was her own fault that she was up there, and no one even dreamed of asking the school to pay. All my kids have at least three sets of uniform, in high school we had maybe two, but you never have just one uniform set...that's just asking for trouble.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:22 am
I assume the playground is on the roof.

In any case, I don't think you can ask the school to replace it.

momx6

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:35 am
My dd has 4 sets of uniforms!
The school brings the girls to the roof instead of a yard/gym!

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:51 am
If the fence is jagged, perhaps you can legitimately ask them to replace the skirt. And have them fix the fence so nobody gets hurt!

sbs

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 9:41 am
I just had this yesterday,

my dd got a big hole in her uniform skirt from something sticking out of her chair,

when she went to the office to tell them she needs a new chair, they gave her tape to cover it,

so now I'm out one skirt, but give it a few days and more will keep ripping!?!?

what kind of craziness is this? give the girl a new chair,

and they didn't offer to pay for her skirt...

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 6:28 pm
The school has zero obligation to pay for your dd uniform. Kids play, they fall, they snag on things, things get torn. That's life, babe. If you know how to sew, you sew it; if you can't sew, buy some Stitch Witchery (iron-on fabric adhesive) and patch it together with that (you may need a piece of thin fabric to which to fuse the torn section). If not, take it to a pro to see if it can be mended somehow, though that may cost as much as a new skirt. Yes, it hurts to see a brand-new garment wrecked, but consider it a kapparah. Etzim vaavanim, my friend--it was only a skirt that got damaged, not your dd.

I would tell the school because if something is sticking out, the next time it could be a child who gets hurt ch"v.

itssimplyme

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 7:04 pm
The school doesn't take responsibility for this kind of thing, my school had nothing to do with uniform problems it was all done through the store. I'm sorry it happened though. I don't know the uniform code there, maybe you could just get her a plain coloured skirt in whatever colour the uniform is.

momx6

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 8:32 pm
Op here
And now a 2nd dd came home today with her skirt RIPPED from the same fence on the roof!
Grrrrr! At least her skirt has a smaller hole and can be fixed!
I have to call the school tomorrow so they can fix it!
So frustrating! A brand new skirt down the drain!

lech lecha08

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 1:27 pm
momx6 wrote:
My dd has 4 sets of uniforms!
The school brings the girls to the roof instead of a yard/gym!

I understand it's annoying but my kids' school DOES have a yard. DD fell during gym class and ripped a huge hole in her sleeve. Having a yard doesn't necessarily eliminate ruined clothes

nimmy

Post Sat, Sep 20 2014, 6:26 pm
well I actually once ripped my skirt in high school in the computer room - they had a nail sticking out or something.

I went to the office to ask for a safety pin to close it up and told them what happened.

later the principal came to my class and asked who was the girl who ripped her skirt and told me the school will pay for a new one!!!

I was surprised bec I didn't even ask!- but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask them - and either way tell them about the fence so no one else rips their skirts on it!

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 21 2014, 12:22 am
nimmy wrote:

tell them about the fence so no one else rips their skirts on it!

You must not have any children yet. The fence should be fixed so no one rips her SKIN on it, fool.

nimmy

Post Sun, Sep 28 2014, 4:48 am
zaq wrote:
You must not have any children yet. The fence should be fixed so no one rips her SKIN on it, fool.

seems like you have very kind words to say - shows a lot about who you are!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children