Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Are we all being ripped off?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 1:28 pm
English3 wrote:
The crazy thing is that cheap stores are nerdy.
My sil's wont step in to certain stores bc they are cheap. They are not middle class people,regular woman.

amother Firebrick wrote:
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read

About 10+ years ago I was at a Bar-Mitzvha and a woman was complaining that clothes for her 11 year old startes at $100 a dress.
Someone said I went to xyz and they sell everything for $5-$7 a piece. A few more ladies said that they also went to that store and spend around $50 for their kids full summer wardrobe.
Lady A said I would never walk into that place. My mother looked at her and said the problem is not that your daughter needs expensive stuff the problem is you.

When the Mama is to embarrassed to shop at an affordable store what do you expect from the daughter.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:31 pm
Great summer maxi. I just got this. Really nice quality. Neck is a drop wide, so I'll wear a shell.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CB.....tails

amother
Mimosa

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:33 pm
English3 wrote:
The crazy thing is that cheap stores are nerdy.
My sil's wont step in to certain stores bc they are cheap. They are not middle class people,regular woman.

Op and everyone else complaining could shop there. No one owes you trendy nice dresses for cheap

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:37 pm
keeptrying wrote:
Who wants to invest with me? I would love to open a store that dresses are $50 and tops are $25

I actually tried working on this, but there's no way to make money. The only reason Tottini and Kidichic make money is becaust they sell TONS of stock.

We are not being ripped off. Try investing in a business and you'll see. It costs a lot to manufacture the clothes. And it takes a lot of time. Perhaps some companies are overpriced, but the average prices you're seeing are not a rip off.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:50 pm
The thing that gets me angry about all these comments is that NO ONE is forcing ANYONE to buy clothes in expensive stores. If the store chooses to sell for the prices they're selling for they are absolutely entitled to. And like some people said why shouldn't they if people buy it? Never mind the insane amount of time and energy that goes into running a clothing business plus all the losses risks and stress

aria3578

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:53 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
OK now I'm pissed. I rarely ever buy from Jewish owned clothing companies but I have been browsing a bit as I'm trying to find some things for my daughter.

I've bought in the past and spent 150 on dresses that look like they came from Sheinn and the buttons have fallen off after one wear.

I'm not even talking about that. I'm complaining about the prices. How is it possible that every website I went to today the dresses are just about MINIMUM 85 dollars. FOR A COTTON WEEKDAY MAXI DRESS!! Most dresses are 140!!

I guess I'm going to answer my own question is it because it is small businesses and they need to make a profit? Is there no where to get just a normal freaking tznius dress for I don't know I'm being generous here.... 50 dollars?

I agree with u
And I talk abt this all the time

I have to say tho that Dress Blank keeps their prices at an incredible level

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:12 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
I didn't read the responses, and these have probably been mentioned, but in case not-
Weekday clothing - tottini is very well priced, especially on sale
Shabbos clothing - kidichic is great, the most expensive is $45 and can get nice things for less usually
Shabbos robes- tottini usually has, very well priced

I used to shop more from target/old navy, etc. but tottini on sale is cheaper ($7 per item!), and as my kids have gotten older I need long enough skirts and sleeves, etc.

Basics like shorts and leggings for the younger ones I still usually do target

Editing to add- I live OOT, so maybe I'm clueless and Tottini and kidichic are nerdy. To me the clothing looks the same as ads I see for the more expensive places...

Tottini cottons are super thin, not stain resistant, inconsistent size. kidichic clothing are better quality. Better quality them more expensive stores. Kidichic has some outfits every season that are stylish and huge hits. And some and styles that sit on the shelf till 80 percent off sale. It's such a shame. With shabbos summer clothing the necks are so wide its such an issue.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:47 pm
I think the problem is more with adult clothes. They sell dresses for a minimum of $200 and are made of cheap polyester fast fashion fabric. I know an owner of such a store/brand and he is mega rich because of the huge markup.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:09 pm
I actually don’t mind spending more for the convenience knowing when I walk into a store majority of the stuff is tznius. I am however very upset with house of lancry this season the stuff is so cheap looking and feeling like from SHEIN. I’m so surprised because usually their stuff is great quality! I also find Byrd, and by Tess to be worth the money.

Success10

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 2:39 am
This just arrived. Adorable (I got the blue leafy "South Beach" one) I got for 3 boys. True to size. So so cheap. Good fabric, a bit thin. I will let you know how it washes.

https://www.aliexpress.com/ite.....bZMIc

justforfun87

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 5:59 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
I think the problem is more with adult clothes. They sell dresses for a minimum of $200 and are made of cheap polyester fast fashion fabric. I know an owner of such a store/brand and he is mega rich because of the huge markup.

Coming back to this conversation. Yes, I was specifically talking about adult women's clothing. When I feel a long dress I got at TJ Maxx or Shein and conpare it to a dress I paid 140 + for at a Jewish store I literally can't feel a difference.

What triggered this conversation is a friend posted herself in a workout dress that now I see didn't even cover the knees like at all.
I thought was pretty cute. I assumed it was like 30 bucks. When I went to the site it was 160 dollars!

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 10:03 am
For woman clothing. I think it depends. I'm wouldn't compare it to Ali. Tj max type store you have to sift through aisles.A store try on like Macys and nordstrom clothing could be quite comparible to jewish stores. Jewish stores I have the option of buying clothes that don't need mending. Select items that are ultratrendy and over the top being an exception I'm impressed at certain family members and friends that make it acceptable to gave less clothing by reusing outfits at Simcha and wear it twice #nice2weartwice
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics