Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Over weight husband
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 1:29 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
You can't make someone lose weight. Theyhave to do it thesmevles, and a spouse or child is not the Food Police.

This reminds me of a story - once when I was about 9 my sister decided that me and my other sis should stop her from eating - after a day or 2 trying this she smacked me cause I wouldn't let her go in the fridge - I ain't helpin her no more! (she was 14)

That being said I think a person definately needs his/her own inner desire and nudgin someone can just push them more into eating - I know cause the first thing I do to start a diet is get so nervous I EAT! crazy but it's true. I need to take the bull (or my fat _ _ _) by the horns and do it for myself and so does OP's H.

I know someone (male) who eats dietetic foods but enough for 3 people - so I keep telling him what's the point.

Anyway - gotta go get something to eat

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 2:05 pm
Momof3, it's very hard. In the beginning you're excited and you get a lot of compliments cuz the weight comes off.

After a while the compliments and the fun it wears off - I lost my weight at the end of 2004 and now, 2007, the compliments have stopped, I have clothes that fit me, and somehow the cakes and goodies are calling my name again . .

I'm tired of walking around hungry or semi full. I'm tired of seeing e/o else have good things !

Losing isn't easy, but it's easier than maintaining. IMO.

gold21

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 2:11 pm
amother said:
Yup, but I know a woman with a really overweight husband. She cooks huge meals smothered in oil and margerine, has only full fat milk etc in the house, no lack of junk food.

You can make sure there is no junk food in the house and lots of fruit and veg and healthy snacks. Try leaving plates of cut up fruit, veg, a little plain nuts out for him to snack on.

Once he wants to, you can help him - make lunch for him, so he doesn't have to buy. Get a thermos flask so he can go to work with hot soups. (supposed to be good for weight loss)

Also cook a lot less meat and carbs, and make more salads and veg.

hellooo amother! op said she cooks healthfully......
the guy can buy a danish for breakfast, chips from the machine for snack, etc., and then coming home to a healthy supper isnt necessarily good enough! Rolling Eyes

cindy324

Post Wed, Jan 31 2007, 2:19 pm
Quote:
I have clothes that fit me, and somehow the cakes and goodies are calling my name again . .

I'm tired of walking around hungry or semi full. I'm tired of seeing e/o else have good things !

Losing isn't easy, but it's easier than maintaining. IMO.

Boy, are you right! I'm soooo tired of not being able to eat what I want when I want it. And I don't believe anyone who tells me they're on a "great" diet, and never hungry! Yeah , right! The maintenance part is my problem , too. You lose the weight, so you feel like you can reward yourself. But then you reward one day, and the next, and the next... Rolling Eyes

julia

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 8:52 am
It must be frustrating to want this for someone else. I know I would hate to have to loose weight for an outside reason. I think it is all internal. Good healthy foods in the house is the first step. Really wanting it for yourself is the way to go. It's hard to make the connection. I think a full sized mirror you see everyday helps. Very Happy

Mint Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 01 2007, 11:20 pm
why dont you try to tell him you want to start being even more healthy..losing 5 more pounds. there is nothing like seeing someone else getting really into a diet and blabbing about it all day long to you.

btw I go tthe book 100 Days of Weight Loss (it's kind of like Ha Yom Yom l'havdil) and every night before we say Shma I read alloud from it and ask hi s opinion. It has been working so well and he has started really thiking about the things he eats more. like yesterday he made an achlata to drink 8 cups of water every day! believe me this is big!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 02 2007, 10:08 am
How about incorporating a daily walk or some such? Ppl like that even if they aren't dieting.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 5:18 pm
WHy not just buy a treadmill?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 5:57 pm
A treadmill is great . . you can hang a lot of shirts on it.

lubcoralsprings

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 5:58 pm
I use my treadmill everyday. It's been the greatest thing to mankind. It keeps me trim and I am able to do it when the kiddos are sleeping. The great thing about it is when it's at home you can use it anytime. Good luck.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 6:02 pm
That's because you want to, Lub Coral Springs! I have a recumbant bikes that I've used often, and it's 15 years old!

I think the OP has a husand who doesn't want to diet and exercise (am I wrong?)

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 04 2007, 9:15 pm
You can even take away one bad habit and take off 10 lbs over the course of prob 6-12 mos. Don't drink sodas (unless 0 cal) skip one bad snack a day...it's a start

amother

Post Mon, Feb 05 2007, 4:38 am
My dh has a weight problem too.

I learned that there is little I can do. I try to make healthier suppers and keep junk out of the house (or hide it well, so he can't find it).

But in the end, it has to come from him. He believes he just needs to exercise, while I say he needs to diet and exercise. At the moment he is just exercising, which at least is keeping him from gaining more weight.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise