Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
My husband brought home meat marked "mini beef pockets"--

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:17 am
What are they and how do I cook them? Googling them comes up with meat-filled pastries.

Meat and I don't do well in the kitchen together. I have never yet--and I'm not a newlywed--made a meat dish that was really edible; I don't even make a decent chulent (fortunately my husband doesn't have particularly discriminating taste buds, but my kids care). I hate wasting food and money. I don't want to mess this up but it seems inevitable. Sad... unless someone, somewhere can help?

scruffy

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:22 am
What are they? Small steaks with a slit cut in them so you can fill them?

Do you know the cut of beef they came from?

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:28 am
Yes, they are little squares of meat with a slit. No idea what they originally were.

amother
Blueberry

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:29 am
Probably bake it or microwave

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:32 am
Bake it how? for how long and at what temp? what kind of seasoning?

amother
Steel

Recipe that is basically fail proof.
Miz Evo w blk pepper& thick salt.
Massage it in well liberally. Thicker steaks, cut slips in and push mixture in.
Grill, or bake tightly wrapped/sealed/covered.
Or sear/grill in a pan.

Meat itself has flavor. Doesn't need more that that.

amother
Blueberry

Copied and pasted from the internet
Here are some ways to heat up Hot Pockets:
Microwave
Unwrap the sandwich, put it in a crisping sleeve, and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Cook on high for two minutes for a single sandwich or three minutes and 30 seconds for two sandwiches in an 1100-watt microwave. For lower wattage or compact microwaves, cook on high for three minutes. After cooking, let the Hot Pocket sit for two minutes before eating.
Conventional oven
Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake the Hot Pocket without the crisping sleeve for 28 minutes.
Toaster oven
Preheat the toaster oven to 350°F.
Cast iron
Microwave the Hot Pocket according to the minimum cooking time, then brown it in a greased cast iron skillet until it's crispy.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:47 am
Thanks--I'll try it. Let you know how it comes out.

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 11:50 am
I've never heard of these before but I was intrigued so I did a bit of sleuthing. I think you may have what is known as carpet bag steak, for which there are many recipes if you do a search. ( I've never heard of carpet bag steak either)

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:00 pm
Thank you! I applaud your research skills! Maybe I'll stuff them with garlic cloves.

EMEN

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:17 pm
I'm so curious. Can you post a pic?

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:39 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
Microwave
Unwrap the sandwich, put it in a crisping sleeve, and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Cook on high for two minutes for a single sandwich or three minutes and 30 seconds for two sandwiches in an 1100-watt microwave. For lower wattage or compact microwaves, cook on high for three minutes. After cooking, let the Hot Pocket sit for two minutes before eating.
Conventional oven
Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake the Hot Pocket without the crisping sleeve for 28 minutes.
Toaster oven
Cast iron
Microwave the Hot Pocket according to the minimum cooking time, then brown it in a greased cast iron skillet until it's crispy.

This is NOT what OP has!! Hot pockets are a non kosher frozen ready to eat food-imagine like a big pizza snap. Do not microwave meat ever-it’ll be rubber.

fbmommy

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 12:47 pm
For the future cook any meat low and slow and it will be amazing. 275 covered well with a simple sauce for at least 5 hours. Cool and cut against the grain.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 1:17 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
Microwave
Conventional oven
Toaster oven
Cast iron

Wait - I think this is an error. this post is cooking directions for THESE hot pockets , not meat !

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 1:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! I applaud your research skills! Maybe I'll stuff them with garlic cloves.

That's a good idea. I'd make a paste of crushed garlic, parsley (even flakes), olive oil, s&p. Rub all around and in pockets. Sear a few minutes on each side. Serve.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:27 pm
https://I.imgur.com/ybochQ9.jpeg

giselle

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 2:39 pm

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 4:22 pm
Wow, thanks everyone! You are all so helpful Heart
(I will say, it was much less per lb. at Moisha's, but it didn't come with instructions!)
Wishing you all delicious seudahs and a wonderful Shabbos!

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 7:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
https://I.imgur.com/ybochQ9.jpeg

It looks like it's already seasoned.

DrMom

Post Sat, May 18 2024, 4:36 pm
It is very optimistic of your DH to bring home beef is you never cook it well. 😉

Maybe he was planning on cooking?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics