Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Why am I not losing weight?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 3:56 am
I'm 42 (ok I know that's already the answer), I need to lose about 25 pounds and I've really been quite careful - on shabbos I add some fairly healthy deserts but during the week I eat very little, no refined sugar, almost no carb-like foods, and I lost a couple of pounds but that's it. it's been more than 6 weeks, with pesach in between (though I was pretty careful too)

imaima

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 4:56 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm 42 (ok I know that's already the answer), I need to lose about 25 pounds and I've really been quite careful - on shabbos I add some fairly healthy deserts but during the week I eat very little, no refined sugar, almost no carb-like foods, and I lost a couple of pounds but that's it. it's been more than 6 weeks, with pesach in between (though I was pretty careful too)

You need a solid system and not a random step here and there.
A lot of water and a lot of sleep.

Zeleze

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 5:24 am
Maybe get a Thyroid test if diets do not help

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 6:46 am
Movement- get your body into fat burning mode ❤️

dats me

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:28 am
It might be helpful to take your measurements (such as waist circumference ) and see if you have any progress that way. The scale can be tricky because building muscle and bone density can make you weigh more but it is healthy weight , also drinking a lot of fluids can make the number on the scale high, but it doesn’t mean you haven’t lost body fat.
Also , if you are truly eating properly I would advise you to continue and not expect instant results, depending on many factors it can take longer than you think to actually lose body fat .

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:42 am
On average, people who diet will have lost about 2 kg after two years.

Meaning: People who lose a lot tend to gain it back over time.

So don't worry if you don't lose, most people would gain it back anyway.

Really obese people become obese after multiple diets.
Set a realistic goal of 2 kg (4 lb) over 2 years.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:43 am
I’m also 42. And since 37, the scale has been going up and up. I need to lose 30 pounds. Nothing was coming off. Literally . It was so frustrating. My dr finally convinced me to try ozempic. So I’m on a low dose for about 8 wks, and have lost 8 pounds. Not amazing at all, but the scale was just going the other way without it. Maybe give it a try . Good luck!!

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 7:44 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
I’m also 42. And since 37, the scale has been going up and up. I need to lose 30 pounds. Nothing was coming off. Literally . It was so frustrating. My dr finally convinced me to try ozempic. So I’m on a low dose for about 8 wks, and have lost 8 pounds. Not amazing at all, but the scale was just going the other way without it. Maybe give it a try . Good luck!!

See Ozempic threads on this site (or threads about weight loss shots): it does not seem to be a long-term solution.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 9:45 am
Comptroller wrote:
On average, people who diet will have lost about 2 kg after two years.

Meaning: People who lose a lot tend to gain it back over time.

So don't worry if you don't lose, most people would gain it back anyway.

Really obese people become obese after multiple diets.
Set a realistic goal of 2 kg (4 lb) over 2 years.

I've lost about 40 Ibs and kept it down for years. It can be done and isn't as unlikely as you make it out to be

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:01 am
amother Orange wrote:
I've lost about 40 Ibs and kept it down for years. It can be done and isn't as unlikely as you make it out to be

What is your secret?

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:23 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
What is your secret?

Eating less

amother
Quince

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 10:49 am
amother Orange wrote:
Eating less

Same here. And sometimes it's hard to know if you're really hungry or just craving something. When I feel "hungry" I ask myself am I hungry enough to eat a plate of vegetables and if the answer is no then I don't eat anything.

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:05 am
I'm in my 50s and had alot of weight to lose. I tried countless diets would lose a little bit and invariably get stuck. I said I'm trying one more diet and if I'm not successful I'm going for weight loss surgery.
Bh I found out about The Fast Metabolism Diet by Haylie Pomroy. It's been a life changer for me. I lost 100 lbs and am bh keeping it off. I look and even more importantly feel like a new person.

BmoreBubby

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 1:52 pm
You're doing all the right things as preliminaries, but ultimately for your longterm goals need to do more. As others have said, there is a risk of gaining it back (most people do)... in order to lose it and keep it off forever, read Ch. 11 of Body & Soul or at least look at the food resources on Torah Health. Ultimately, if you can afford it, it would help to hire a registered dietitian to create a long-term eating plan for you, but the above resources should enable you to do it on your own, you're clearly highly motivated! Good luck!

Last edited by BmoreBubby on Tue, May 14 2024, 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

tulip3

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 2:03 pm
amother OP wrote:

Working with a nutritionist is a good idea. Also, checking your hormones, thyroid and blood sugar, cortisol.
Are you walking or lifting weights?

BmoreBubby

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 2:24 pm
tulip3 wrote:
Working with a nutritionist is a good idea. Also, checking your hormones, thyroid and blood sugar, cortisol.
Are you walking or lifting weights?

Don't want to nit-pick but in my opinion Registered Dietitian is the way to go, not a nutritionist (they're not the same). At least if you go to a nutritionist you should know that anyone can call themselves that, but an RD is a trained and licensed professional.

amother
Tuberose

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 11:45 pm
Comptroller wrote:
See Ozempic threads on this site (or threads about weight loss shots): it does not seem to be a long-term solution.

Yes. But any time you get off a diet you are at risk of gaining . My dr told me that many of her patients that need to lose weight do ozempic and then lose 20-30 pounds and then they are reset - and work hard to maintain . But it works. Of course any time you get off of any diet you are at risk for gaining back. But that’s not a reason not to try ozempic if indicated and recommended.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise