Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
If you dont do laundry on Chol Hamoed...
Previous  1  2

baba

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 5:26 pm
My machine died, so no wash for me...
I bought a new one today though, yeay.

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 5:31 pm
You know, even if I wanted to buy more clothing chol hamoed none of the clothing stores in my city are open. I looked for more tights for one of my kids in the grocery store erev yom tov (she ripped quite a few pairs the week before yom tov...) and they didn't have her size. No where else was even open to look.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 5:31 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I've never heard of people adding their own clothing to the loads of their kids clothes.

We were always taught that it is no problem to wash any clothing items for kids of the ages that get dirty readily, but that adult clothing (and tablecloths) cannot be added to those loads (even if they're not full).

And, that one must purchase additional clothing rather than laundering adult clothing during chol hamoed.

I guess not everyone holds as we do, but until know I hadn't heard of people doing otherwise.
what if you just cant afford more clotihng?

Liba

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 5:36 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I was wondering about that too.

Clothing and table cloths are expensive.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 5:39 pm
This is probably a good Rav moment: what is the reasoning behind not using the washing machine (zero effort for maximum results) on Chol HaMoed? BTW I grew up with no laundry during Chol Hamoed and I really don't know why we have that halacha? Minhag? Whatever it is - not too many people I know follow it.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 7:28 pm
A woman in my old neighborhood refused to sell me clothing from her home store on Chol Hamoed - she said she would get no bracha from it.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 7:49 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I think you need to ask a shayla as to what you should do. I don't think that you can just assume it is okay to launder adult clothing together with the children's clothing.

And, I'd think that using a clear plastic over your tablecloth is probably preferable to laundering it, but again, please ask your LOR.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:05 pm
If any of you have the sefer Chol Hamoed by Rabbi Dovid Zucker and fRabbi Moshe Francis, on page 32, it discusses Laundry.

and I quote:

"When washing children's clothing, garments of an adult may not be added to the washing machine. Since laundering any type of adult article, including underwear, socks, or hankerchiefs is generally prohibited on Chol Hamoed, one should see to it that he has an adequate supply for the entire festival."

He then goes on to say ...

"Women's support hose and nfursing bras are exceptions to the above and may be washed if the woman doe snot have a sufficient quantity."

He then discusses dry cleaning and ironing, washing towels, linens, and tablecloths, etc. (which is also forbidden.)

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 8:09 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
If any of you have the sefer Chol Hamoed by Rabbi Dovid Zucker and fRabbi Moshe Francis, on page 32, it discusses Laundry.

and I quote:...

I will just add that Rabbis Zucker and Francis are the Roshei Kollel of Kollel Zichron Schneur, the Lakewood Community Kollel in Chicago and are known as mainstream (Lakewood-type) yeshivish in their psak.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics