Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
If you dont do laundry on Chol Hamoed...
1  2  Next

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 7:52 pm
Seriously, how do you manage?? Do you have enough underwear/socks/Shabbos shirts and outfits for yourself and DH??? I was just wondering... I did all my laundry cuz we just didnt have anything to wear today... I have 2 Shabbos robes, my DH has 2 Shabbos shirts, which all got dirty by the 2nd day Y"T (he was helping me in the kitchen). So in my situation, do you wash or wear dirty clothes...?

jaysmom

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 7:58 pm
From what I understand its okay to wash something if you need it to wear. I did laundry erev sukkos, but I think I will have to do a load on wednesday, because there will be things we will need clean for shabbos/yom tov. I think that because laundry isn't what it used to be (a headache and a half) its much easier for a rav to say if you need clothes then just do the laundry.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 8:00 pm
I dunno. I have to call a rav and ask. I have no yom tov clothes left for my older kids. (younger kids too but I know I can wash those) I can get away with not washing some of the skirts and cardigans, but t shirts and shirts and my sons trousers I can't.

as for me maybe its a good excuse to invite no guests and stay home with a book???? or at the very least buy some new clothes!

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 8:01 pm
what about tablecloths?

the world's best mom

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 8:04 pm
You can wash underwear, socks and little kids clothing. I was told I should spot wash my robe, but can't wash it in the machine.

imabima

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 8:05 pm
THANK YOU for this thread! I totally forgot about not doing laundry. Eeeeek. I already started a load. Thank you again!

5S5Sr7z3

LOL Raisin - if I could afford it I would buy enough clothes just not to do more laundry!!! I also had to wash my tablecloths - I wasnt sure it was white LOL - after 3 days my kids kinda spilled and shmeared everything they ate and drank into it. And my son went through 5 shirts, and 4 pairs of pants....

zigi

I do have enough things for everyone to wear, somethings the kids wore twice b/c it wasn't that bad and anyways it was going to get dirty outside.

5S5Sr7z3

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 8:06 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
You can wash underwear, socks and little kids clothing. I was told I should spot wash my robe, but can't wash it in the machine.

Uh, it was kinda hot here, what about sweat???

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 8:08 pm
Ask your LOR.

We were told that if we are doing a load anyway (wet beds, little kids stuff) we could add adult things that we need to the load. The issue is doing the wash, not having clean clothing and once we are washing we are allowed to fill the machine.

Aidelmom

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 8:42 pm
jaysmom wrote:
From what I understand its okay to wash something if you need it to wear. I did laundry erev sukkos, but I think I will have to do a load on wednesday, because there will be things we will need clean for shabbos/yom tov. I think that because laundry isn't what it used to be (a headache and a half) its much easier for a rav to say if you need clothes then just do the laundry.

per the shmiras shabbos kehilchasa that's not at all ok - (you may hold differently just posting in case people take a heter from reading the above). it does say that certain items like socks and I forgot what else are ok to wash.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 10:08 pm
this year the first days were hot but the end will be cooler, so it's a totally different wardrobe.

OP, when you buy for your dh and kids, keep both the "9 days" and "chol hamoed" in mind.

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 10:55 pm
I wash for dd and add watever I need for dh and myself to the load
dh dint exactly like seeing his underwear going into the wash I told him sorry at the rate he was changing during the first 3 days of yt( he was sweating loads in this heat) I dont have enough. his shabbos shirts he also used up but I have other white shirts that are not as white but enough reason not to wash and iron his other ones so I didnt. my underwear joined the load as well. my only robe that I unfortunatly had to wear 3 days is going into the wash depending on the weather so im sill waiting for that. otherwise we try to get by with watever we have lol

kitov

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 11:03 pm
Liba wrote:
Ask your LOR.

We were told that if we are doing a load anyway (wet beds, little kids stuff) we could add adult things that we need to the load. The issue is doing the wash, not having clean clothing and once we are washing we are allowed to fill the machine.

Got the same psak.

Isher

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 1:37 am
My husband is very against my washing laundry on chol hamoed so I try to have enough of everything for everyone. This year in a way was harder since it is a full 6 days of shabbos clothing however, it is also a little easier since we're using clothing from two seasons. Underwear, socks and pantyhose I try to make sure that I have enough although it does seem that I will be visiting the hosiery store in order to get me through YT.

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 1:49 am
One wonderful reason to cloth diaper! Seriously though, I've done two loads of diapers, one load of bedsheets (DS#2 got overexcited and overheated and threw up in his bed motzaei chag), and today I'm doing a load of clothes. It's children's clothing, and something for me to wear for chag, since I sweated through my one outfit that fits properly. I'm planning another diaper load on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, so that the first load motzaei chag is whites...DH is running out of EVERYTHING!

Amital

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 11:43 am
I have the same psak - to do the kids' laundry and anything really needed, but other things can go in to fill up the load. With three small (and messy!) boys who bathe in dirt and sweat (it seems) and shred plastic table covers, I really needed to do tablecloths, too! But once we're done, I'll have a lot of other loads to wash, anyway.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 4:37 pm
I was told the same as others, if I do for the kids, I can add my stuff.

I just cannot have ten sets of shabbat clothes for each kid, some of the younger ones need to be changed twice a day....With the exception of a 3 day YT (something in abundance this year), we will never use that much shabbat clothes before they are outgrown.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 5:10 pm
Raisin wrote:
what about tablecloths?
You use those clear plastic ones over the cloth for times like these. I know, it ruins your children's shidduch prospects, but what can you do?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 27 2010, 5:18 pm
I've never heard of people adding their own clothing to the loads of their kids clothes.

We were always taught that it is no problem to wash any clothing items for kids of the ages that get dirty readily, but that adult clothing (and tablecloths) cannot be added to those loads (even if they're not full).

And, that one must purchase additional clothing rather than laundering adult clothing during chol hamoed.

I guess not everyone holds as we do, but until know I hadn't heard of people doing otherwise.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics