Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
ExerSaucer/Jumperoo? (want physical therapists viewpoint)
1  2  Next

queen

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 8:13 pm
Looking to hear from those with experience as to the pros and cons, or which is preferable for development..... The typical exersaucer, or the Jumperoo?

(Jumperoo similar to an exersaucer- but has springs so baby can bounce up and down)

Jumperoo link: http://www.target.com/gp/detai.....XC1AI

ExerSaucer link: http://www.target.com/gp/detai.....PR43O

TIA

Last edited by queen on Mon, Mar 27 2006, 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

shoy18

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 8:19 pm
I only have experience with the excersaucer, my son loved it!

The jumperoo would make me nervous, the excersaucer seems safer to me, but thats jus tme

Frumom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 8:43 pm
My son loves the exersaucer too. The one we have does have springs for him to bounce in.
I agree the jumparoo looks a bit dangerous

daisy

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 9:01 pm
my daughter loves her exersaucer, as did her sister.

shopaholic

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 9:10 pm
Even before I read everyone's posts I decided to say the exersaucer is safer. All 3 of my kids loved it. It has a lot more for the kids to play with too & the seat can spin around.

ChavieK

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 9:25 pm
This is my only baby that had an excersaucer, they weren't around with my others, the older ones had walkers.My baby loved the the exersaucer.But I also have from some of my older ones a Jolly Jumper. It hangs from the doorway & also has a spring. My physical therapist said its fine but as with anything that you are putting the baby into limit the time.Anyway he LOVES jumping. He cracks himself up.
Which one can you use the longest?

youngmom

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 9:31 pm
my daughter loves her exersaucer too.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 10:48 pm
My vote is for neither. Get the fisher price hop n pop!!! SHimon Moshe loves it. it's less expensive, takes up less room, can be folded, and both hops and can be used stationary. Here is a pic of him having a ball in it:

you can get it at target, free shipping.

queen

Post Sat, Mar 25 2006, 11:52 pm
Just heard from a friend whos child went to physical therapy- say how the therapists can't stand these things. They support the child so much that the baby isn't strengthening the necessary muscles himself. She said her child that didn't use it is far ahead physically than her daughter who used the exersaucer. She recommended not getting one at all.......

Any thoughts on the above?

Mandy

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 2:57 am
yes, that is true queen. Both the jumperoo and the exersaucer are not good at all for children's muscular development as they have them basically sitting in there and not developing the muscles needed for independent standing and movement.

They say to only use them for up to 30 min. at a time.

shopaholic

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 3:39 pm
I don't agree with that Queen. My middle child has PT for weak muscle tone but KA"H my other 2 are totally the opposite.

queen

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 8:03 am
are there any physical therapists on this site who could respond?

newmom

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 8:46 am
I asked my friend who is a PT before using the exersaucer. She said that as long as you use it sparingly it should be okay. The reason is because they want the muscles to develop in a certain order so that the baby will learn to crawl before walking, and the saucer works on the standing/walking musles.
Any PT feel free to correct me, but wanted to give queen an answer in the interem.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 10:01 am
My son has a very tight, high muscle tone and is getting therapy for it. The therapist said not to use it for more than 15 minutes at a stretch. In our case it is actually helpful as it forces him to bend his knees and put his feet down flat. I would buy it but not use it as a 'babysitter' - I.e. leave the kid in for 1/2 hour or more...

queen

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 10:44 am
for only 15-30 minutes a day.... is it really worth investing in such a toy???
Approx until how many months do they play in such a toy anyhow?

ektsm

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 10:51 am
The problem is what do you do with when you don't need it anymore. Are there any of them that are easy to store?

amother

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 11:29 am
I have a really expensive deluxe exersaucer that I got for my oldest and this link- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi.....42472walker, they make it safe now with stoppers for stairs, and to make it not move the wheels like a carriage, and it folds real flat for storage, the younger kids who had the choice of either or preferred the walker to the exersaucer.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 12:42 pm
queen wrote:
15-30 minutes at a STRETCH, not a day! I put him in several times a day.
They can use this toy from when they have good head control until they start walking around iwth assistance.

As for storage,t he hop n pop folds and is easier to store.

daisy

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 1:48 pm
This is my feeling on the matter for what it's worth. I'm not really one for shticky baby stuff. I hold my babe a lot and also use slings and wraps. However, sometimes you just need to put the baby down. Someone gave us an exersaucer a few years ago. I wasn't so excited, but since I had it, I tried it with my daughter (I was desperate, she literally did not let me put her down). Well, she loved it! I finally got a few minutes to get stuff done without holding her. It was really worth it. For us, 30 minutes + at a time is a nonissue, because my babies don't have that long of an attention span. B"H my current baby also likes her gymini and her carseat, so we can vary the nonholding activities, but she does get very excited about the exersaucer.

I wonder (from a therapist point of view) if other activities that put babies in positions before they are doing them on their own are also problematic? (e.g. swings and strollers that put babies in a sitting position before they are sitting.)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 2:16 pm
Mindy wrote:
queen wrote:
15-30 minutes at a STRETCH, not a day! I put him in several times a day.
They can use this toy from when they have good head control until they start walking around iwth assistance.

As for storage,t he hop n pop folds and is easier to store.

my exersaucer folds as well...
sometimes we take out the toys and so our son can play with those not in the exersaucer.
I think it's a good investment; sometimes it's used more than others, but it doesn't get used up or suffer too much wear and tear.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics