Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much would you pay for this service?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Today at 6:00 pm
How much would you pay for someone to come to your house and give a haircut to your son/s or elderly parent? DH is looking for a side job and has always been giving himself and the kids haircuts. He is good at it, and we are considering this as an idea to supplement our income. I appreciate your thoughts.

amother
Maize  

Post Today at 6:02 pm
$40? Just off the cuff

amother
Wheat

Post Today at 6:04 pm
The going rate for haircuts, plus a charge for housecall. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. But I could totally see dh use this service (if you’re dh is up to working late night hours lol).

SYA

Post Today at 6:07 pm
I know some friends who use a barber who does house calls. It’s $45 per person. That’s in Brooklyn. Not sure what other areas charge.
A haircut in the local Jewish barber is less than $20. Not sure the amount as dh gives the boys.

ysydmom

Post Today at 6:08 pm
My dad could use this service it's hard for him to get out you can also look into giving hair cuts in Rehabs, nursing homes and assisted living facilities.

I would say normal rate plus $30 extra to cover travel, gas, time etc. you might want to start a bit lower until it's built up and you have clientele.

amother
Gray

Post Today at 6:28 pm
My son broke his shulder I would gladly pay $40
It was so hard getting him in the car

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 7:05 pm
Thank you all very much for the responses! It is very helpful. I was thinking: winter is coming. it is hard for people to get out of the house with kids. (Same for older or disabled people). Many families have neurodivergent kids who don't do well waiting in line or find a visit to the barber too stressful. DH has been looking for another job for awhile. No one seems to be hiring. This is something he is naturally good at, although he may have to learn new styles and types of haircuts. He is currently a bit hesitant, but I think he would be really good at it, and that it can bring in extra necessary cash. On the same/different note: If you had kids in Shiduchim, would you consider this a lower-level / not such a respectful job? I don't want my kids to be embarrassed of their father or have their marriage prospects diminished due to it. ( And yes, I know that every honest job is respectful, and that Hashem is in charge of Shiduchim etc. and yet...)

ddmom

Post Today at 7:06 pm
amother Wheat wrote:
The going rate for haircuts, plus a charge for housecall. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. But I could totally see dh use this service (if you’re dh is up to working late night hours lol).

I like this idea because if a family calls for a few boys it's worth it for them and for your DH.
Same price as barber plus a set house call fee.
(Tell him to sweep after himself, he'll get more business like that!!!)

21young

Post Today at 7:09 pm
I know lots of people who would pay for this, and second the suggestion to visit rehabs or nursing homes.
Any job that earns an honest living is respectable, he should hold his head up high that he is doing what is needed to support his family.

amother
Iris  

Post Today at 7:11 pm
I know in lkwd there were mobile barbers. I feel like they charged more than the prices listed here.
A basic haircut in a barber shop is $22 these days. It takes 10 minutes. The travel time to each job would be much more that that.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Today at 7:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
How much would you pay for someone to come to your house and give a haircut to your son/s or elderly parent? DH is looking for a side job and has always been giving himself and the kids haircuts. He is good at it, and we are considering this as an idea to supplement our income. I appreciate your thoughts.

Max 20. If I had multiple kids to do 15 each

amother
  Iris  

Post Today at 7:17 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:

That’s cheaper than the barber shop.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Today at 7:20 pm
We paid $60 for a barber to come down for an upsherin. It did take longer than a regular haircut but still a nice amount of money

mommy3b2c

Post Today at 7:31 pm
I’ve paid for this . It’s a great service and I think many people would pay for it .

amother
Clear

Post Today at 7:34 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:

Most barbers charge 20 why would someone come to you for that price. Obviously you aren't the target audience since this is clearly something you wouldn't pay extra for

amother
  Iris

Post Today at 7:37 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
We paid $60 for a barber to come down for an upsherin. It did take longer than a regular haircut but still a nice amount of money

That is also cheaper then in the lkwd barbershop…going into a barber shop for a first I haircut in lakewood is $65-125. Avg was $90 for first haircut in shop. Some charged 45 under 3 even if not first hair cut.

I was shocked when I brought my son to the regular place and that is what they quoted us.
Coming to the house for a first haircut is typically much much more that that especially bec it can take longer with pics. In the house is more like $150-250 for upsherin.
(I’m in lkwd)

amother
SandyBrown

Post Today at 7:39 pm
I pay about $30 for my boy's haircuts. The guy who does it actually started out in his basement. He got really really good and does amusing haircuts. At this point in life he opened a full-fledged salon. It's actually very hard to get an appointment with him but he's been giving my kids haircuts ever since they got haircuts. He had it completely other job before and was making nice money but is making more money doing the haircuts he's doing. I would not look down on someone who does this. Even if it's a side job. I would look up to someone who takes an unconventional job in order to bring in money and support his family.

It's a great idea!

amother
Seashell

Post Today at 7:50 pm
Was actually just discussing this, I know someone that charges 65 and I think that's outrageous. ( not an upsherin haircut)
I asked around and they said maybe theyll pay around 50

amother
Peachpuff

Post Today at 7:59 pm
Our Barber started doing this during Covid and we have been having him come to our home ever since. It’s definitely a very nice convenience and I love that. I haven’t been in a barbershop in years but honestly, if the rates were super high, I probably would consider it too much of a luxury to be worth it. We pay him $30 per kid which is about eight dollars more than at the barbershop and again I have five boys so that means he’s making $40 extra in total for the house Call.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 8:06 pm
21young wrote:
I know lots of people who would pay for this, and second the suggestion to visit rehabs or nursing homes.
Any job that earns an honest living is respectable, he should hold his head up high that he is doing what is needed to support his family.

Wouldn't he need to be licensed to do it in a nursing home / rehab?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics