Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
If you wash your husband's Talis, what detergent do you use

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 12:26 pm
Someone told me that they wash their husbands Talis (not Tzitzis, the real wool Talis) and it comes out amazing and white. I cant reach her to ask which detergent.

I tried and I used regular detergent thats blue and it absorbed the blue color from the detergent, so I had to soak it in alcohol to get the blue out.

Now I think Ill get Woolite. I see theres a few kinds of Woolite, I assume the one thats Gentle would be best?

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 3:16 pm
Tallisim can go in the washing machine? I'd love to hear how it turns out washed hot or cold? Air dried?

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 3:24 pm
I'm assuming there's no silver atarah on that tallis?
I also can't imagine my husband letting me wash his tallis on my own.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Oct 10 2024, 4:17 pm
No Silver Atara, hand washed, and my friend has been doing it for years because it comes out the whitest that way.

Golde  

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 5:04 am
Handwash cycle or wool cycle (whichever is gentler), and special detergent for wool. I'm not in the US so can't give you brand names for the detergent. But you definitely need a special detergent for wool.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 7:30 am
She probably uses a powder from superio. It says on the bottle perfect for wool tallis though I never tried it

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 7:48 am
amother Peru wrote:
Tallisim can go in the washing machine? I'd love to hear how it turns out washed hot or cold? Air dried?

I’m pretty sure you will ruin a Tallis if it goes in a washing machine. 100% ruined in the dryer.
If you wash it by hand you have to let it soak in a large basin. Secure the strings. After you wash it and rinse , you have to hang to dry. It’s a big job. I’ve never done it.

Golde

Post Fri, Oct 11 2024, 8:02 am
amother Puce wrote:
I’m pretty sure you will ruin a Tallis if it goes in a washing machine. 100% ruined in the dryer.
If you wash it by hand you have to let it soak in a large basin. Secure the strings. After you wash it and rinse , you have to hang to dry. It’s a big job. I’ve never done it.

I wash it in the machine, it doesn't get ruined. But not on a regular program, on a handwash or woolwash cycle. Wool detergent. Nothing else in the machine. And airdry, not tumble dry. It works for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry