Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Where should I Start?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 7:51 pm
Please help me! I'm lost. Basically I've always been overweight, but after I got married and had 3 pregnancies very close to each other the weight just piled up even more (even though I didn't gain that much with each pregnancy it adds up) Over the past year I made lifestyle changes like no eating at night, only drinking water and my weight has barely budged. Just a few lbs. down which easily go up after Yom Tov etc. I've been trying really hard over the past few months to lose weight and I've gotten nowhere even with my lifestyle changes. I'm baffled how this can even be. What do I do now? Is there something hormonally wrong that's not allowing the weight to come off? I easily have 70 lbs to lose. Where do I start? I want to lose this weight for once and for all. I've dieted all my life and I'm just fed up at this point. Forget about looks. I want to be healthy. Who do I go to for guidance. I recently moved to NJ so I don't even have familiar doctors to reach out to. Anyone with any experience or any ideas that can guide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 7:54 pm
Start by checking your thyroid

amother
DarkPurple  

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 7:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Please help me! I'm lost. Basically I've always been overweight, but after I got married and had 3 pregnancies very close to each other the weight just piled up even more (even though I didn't gain that much with each pregnancy it adds up) Over the past year I made lifestyle changes like no eating at night, only drinking water and my weight has barely budged. Just a few lbs. down which easily go up after Yom Tov etc. I've been trying really hard over the past few months to lose weight and I've gotten nowhere even with my lifestyle changes. I'm baffled how this can even be. What do I do now? Is there something hormonally wrong that's not allowing the weight to come off? I easily have 70 lbs to lose. Where do I start? I want to lose this weight for once and for all. I've dieted all my life and I'm just fed up at this point. Forget about looks. I want to be healthy. Who do I go to for guidance. I recently moved to NJ so I don't even have familiar doctors to reach out to. Anyone with any experience or any ideas that can guide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

all I can say is hugs and I feel you Hug im overweight my BMI is 31 and its so hard and depressing. I for real get sad when I see anyone fatter than me because im know how hard it is

amother
Amaranthus

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 7:57 pm
Did you check for insulin resistance

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Oct 07 2024, 8:12 pm
Please see an endocrinologist. Sometimes a medication like metformin can help

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 6:30 am
Thanks. I was thinking of starting at an endocrinologist. Does anyone have any fantastic endocrinologist for this in the tristate area NY/NJ. I would even pay out of pocket for the right one.

shanie5  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 1:18 pm
Cut the carbs. All carbs.
Carbs raise your insulin which is a hormone that stores what you eat as fat. Then you get hungry sooner cyz you need energy which comes from food. And since insulin stored what you ate as fat, you need to eat more. It's a vicious cycle.
If you eat protein and fats, and non starchy veggies, you won't raise your insulin, the food will be used as energy, and you won't need to eat as much or as often.
Fats are important, so don't eat low fat of any foods.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 1:25 pm
I wrote that I have a very healthy eating lifestyle for the past 6 months and weight has not budged. I barely eat any carbs. And after making such a big change my weight defnitely should have moved down more than 4 lbs.

shanie5  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 1:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wrote that I have a very healthy eating lifestyle for the past 6 months and weight has not budged. I barely eat any carbs. And after making such a big change my weight defnitely should have moved down more than 4 lbs.

Everyone's definition of "healthy" is different.
How about you post a regular daily menu of what you eat and maybe we can help.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 5:38 pm
Breakfast is either bran flakes & milk or yogurt
Snack is usually a protein bar/fruit
lunch is usually a salad/protein
supper protein/veggie/a little of the starch
Lots and lots of water
And I don't eat after supper

tulip3  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 5:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
Breakfast is either bran flakes & milk or yogurt
Snack is usually a protein bar/fruit
lunch is usually a salad/protein
supper protein/veggie/a little of the starch
Lots and lots of water
And I don't eat after supper

You're starting your day on a sugar train wreck. You need to eat real protein in the a.m. with fats. Skip the protein bars, they're full of artificial stuff. It's good that you're pairing your fruit with a protein but most bars are full of sugar and artificial chemicals and don't have enough protein.
When you have a salad, what's in it and how much? How much protein are you eating? Are you weighing it?
For veggies at supper, how much are you eating and do you have any fats?

How many calories are you eating? Are you undereating? Are you working out?

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 6:05 pm
tulip3 wrote:
You're starting your day on a sugar train wreck. You need to eat real protein in the a.m. with fats. Skip the protein bars, they're full of artificial stuff. It's good that you're pairing your fruit with a protein but most bars are full of sugar and artificial chemicals and don't have enough protein.
When you have a salad, what's in it and how much? How much protein are you eating? Are you weighing it?
For veggies at supper, how much are you eating and do you have any fats?

How many calories are you eating? Are you undereating? Are you working out?

I think we're getting a little too nitty gritty here. Like I've said I've dieted all my life. By all my life I mean from when I was like 12 years old. I've been to nutritionists and and tried plenty of different diets. I know what it means to be on a diet and eat healthy. Not weighing my vegetables is not what's keeping me back from losing weight when I made big changes in my life and no budge in the weight.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 6:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
I think we're getting a little too nitty gritty here. Like I've said I've dieted all my life. By all my life I mean from when I was like 12 years old. I've been to nutritionists and and tried plenty of different diets. I know what it means to be on a diet and eat healthy. Not weighing my vegetables is not what's keeping me back from losing weight when I made big changes in my life and no budge in the weight.
She's not being nitty gritty. She isn't talking about a calorie deficit. This is about avoiding blood sugar and insulin spikes.

shanie5  

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:08 pm
amother OP wrote:

1-thats not a low carb diet. It may be lower carb than some, but it's definitely NOT low carb.

2-The diets you've tried all your life obviously haven't worked. And nutritionists are generally trained on the SAD diet-Standard American Diet-which is really not healthy.

Forget all you've learned/tried until now. Try a true low carb diet:
Breakfast: eggs fried in butter add cheese f you want to/ full fat cottage cheese (with sour cream if you like it)/ full fat PLAIN yogurt. You can add vanilla and /or berries to the cottage cheese or yogurt if you want. Nut butters are also a good addition to the yogurt.

Lunch and dinner: meat-any kind-with the fat. If you use ground beef, make sure it's not lean. Chicken with the skin. Fish. Eggs. Non starchy veggies. Use extra virgin olive oil to dress your salads.

Eat as much as you need to feel full.
For drinks you can have coffee (without sugar) with real cream , tea-w/o sugar, water, seltzer, broth

Snacks: hard boiled eggs, olives, avocados, hard cheese, 85% cacao chocolate, nuts (almonds and pecans are better than cashews and pistachios), pumpkin seeds

No sugars-real or fake
No grains-they are all carbs-including quinoa

No processed foods!

I lost 65lbs by changing my eating habits-permanently. And I'm not done losing either.

I got this diet from a fellow imamother. The guy who founded this diet has helped morbidly obese people lose hundreds of lbs and keep them off. It works if you are willing to change what you have been doing until now and learn a better/healthier way of eating.

amother
  DarkPurple

Post Tue, Oct 08 2024, 8:47 pm
shanie5 wrote:
1-thats not a low carb diet. It may be lower carb than some, but it's definitely NOT low carb.

2-The diets you've tried all your life obviously haven't worked. And nutritionists are generally trained on the SAD diet-Standard American Diet-which is really not healthy.

Forget all you've learned/tried until now. Try a true low carb diet:
Breakfast: eggs fried in butter add cheese f you want to/ full fat cottage cheese (with sour cream if you like it)/ full fat PLAIN yogurt. You can add vanilla and /or berries to the cottage cheese or yogurt if you want. Nut butters are also a good addition to the yogurt.

Lunch and dinner: meat-any kind-with the fat. If you use ground beef, make sure it's not lean. Chicken with the skin. Fish. Eggs. Non starchy veggies. Use extra virgin olive oil to dress your salads.

Eat as much as you need to feel full.
For drinks you can have coffee (without sugar) with real cream , tea-w/o sugar, water, seltzer, broth

Snacks: hard boiled eggs, olives, avocados, hard cheese, 85% cacao chocolate, nuts (almonds and pecans are better than cashews and pistachios), pumpkin seeds

No sugars-real or fake
No grains-they are all carbs-including quinoa

No processed foods!

I lost 65lbs by changing my eating habits-permanently. And I'm not done losing either.

I got this diet from a fellow imamother. The guy who founded this diet has helped morbidly obese people lose hundreds of lbs and keep them off. It works if you are willing to change what you have been doing until now and learn a better/healthier way of eating.

👆This is keto
ive been on keto and lost weight but its super hard to do long term and I recently read that ppl that go off keto have more risks of developing health issues. the only way its good is if u will stay on forever
what do u do on shabbos??

evaeva  

Post Yesterday at 6:00 am
please cut out all oils, you can get your fat from avocado, nuts, seeds... no oil whatsover, game changer

tulip3

Post Yesterday at 6:16 am
evaeva wrote:
please cut out all oils, you can get your fat from avocado, nuts, seeds... no oil whatsover, game changer

Why not olive oil or ovocado oil?

evaeva

Post Yesterday at 6:31 am
unhealthy meals don’t just cause internal damage decades down the road, but within hours of consumption—and the relative paralysis of our arteries for hours after eating fast food may also occur after consuming olive oil.It’s not only olive oil, however. Other oils have also been shown to have deleterious results on endothelial function: a significant and constant decrease in endothelial function three hours after each meal, independent of the type of oil or whether the oil was fresh or deep fried. Olive oil might be better than omega-6-rich oils or saturated fats, but may still show adverse effects.

I think of oil as the table sugar of the fat kingdom. Similar to how manufacturers take healthy foods like beets and throw outAs even extra-virgin olive oil may impair our arteries’ ability to relax and dilate normally, its use should be curtailed. Cooking without oil is surprisingly easy. To keep foods from sticking, sauté in wine, sherry, broth, vinegar, or just plain water. For baking, I’ve successfully used mashed bananas or avocado, soaked prunes, and even canned pumpkin to substitute for oil to provide a similar moistness. all their nutrition to make sugar, they take wholesome corn and scorch-earth it down to corn oil. Nutritionfacts.org

wanttobehappy

Post Yesterday at 6:41 am
Start working out with weights… just 2/3 hour workouts a week changed everything for me.. I lost 45lbs since last dec. if u build muscles u burn fat while sleeping.. u must must eat a protein like salmon within an hour of working. OutZ I bulk up each meal with a veg eggplant spinach squash cauliflower are my go to meal f I add a drop of cheese and tomato sauce everything is Yumm.. mashed beans are good protein think lentils. Every meal is either eggs fish or chicken based.. then as much vegs to get full. I cut my olives/ avocado into tiny pieces so not overdoing it on the fats. I don’t use sweet or oily dressing just pickles/ hot peppers chick peas/ mustard/ fresh parsley and dill makes everything yummy. Overtime cook. Has a greaf snap peas squash fries/ green bean recipes I skip the oil and spray a drop of Pam.. I use a lot of sweet potatoes. I ONLY cook in the Betty it keeps the moisture in and makes everything Yumm y without the oil and so so easy. I have a Betty group if u want to join PM me

amother
IndianRed

Post Yesterday at 7:33 am
If you've been dieting since you're 12, by now, there's surely an emotional piece involved. Have you tried addressing that? Maybe something like this would help https://thetappingsolution.com/wl-bc/members/

Yes, there's probably something hormonal going on too. Maybe an integrative nutritionist can help. https://totallifecenter.com/ I know everyone loves to say eat this, don't eat that, cut out fruit, don't eat at night. Those might help. They might not. If there's a hormonal balance, correcting it can give you the best results.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise