Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
First time fasting yk for ds

amother
OP  

Post Today at 5:39 pm
Ds had his bar mitzvah a few months ago. While this won't be his first fast, it will be his first yk fasting. It is clear from the fasts he has done so far that he is not a good faster. He has managed by basically watching videos all day. Obviously that's not something he can do on yk. I want to figure out what he can do to get through the fast. No, he will not be spending the whole day in shul. That's just not going to happen as much as we (ds included) wish it would. He will go for as much as he can, but will at some point be at home laying down. He's not a big reader, there's only so much of the day he can take up with that. Anything else to help him manage?

miami85  

Post Today at 5:54 pm
can you get him kali zom? Make sure he hydrates well beforehand?

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 5:58 pm
Are the pills ok at that age? I thought they're mainly caffeine which he doesn't drink much of to begin with. And we would want him to sleep a good bit as that helps too... we will be on top of him hydrating this week, hopefully that will help.

oneofakind

Post Today at 6:16 pm
Make sure he drinks electrolytes for two days before so he's well hydrated. It's mainly dehydration that causes poor fasting, not lack of food.

miami85

Post Today at 6:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
Are the pills ok at that age? I thought they're mainly caffeine which he doesn't drink much of to begin with. And we would want him to sleep a good bit as that helps too... we will be on top of him hydrating this week, hopefully that will help.

I generally take the ones for pregnancy/nursing and I find that they help. I don't notice any effects from caffeine, and while soda doesn't affect me at night, coffee does. Maybe they don't have the caffeine. But I think that if it had caffeine that would be antithetical to their purpose.

Generally 13 year-olds can take adult dosages of medication.

amother
Red

Post Today at 6:26 pm
Comic books? Riddle books? Maybe one person games.

amother
  OP

Post Today at 6:35 pm
Thanks. Oooh he'll be thrilled to be allowed Gatorade for 2 days. How much should I give him? Will see if I can get ahold of some good comics.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur