Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What do you do with vegetables from chicken soup?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Today at 2:04 pm
I make a big pot of soup every week. I have too many leftover veggies and always throw them out. Is there anything to make with them or just toss?

amother
Peony

Post Today at 2:10 pm
I just toss them. What vegetables do you use? The carrots are great to mash as baby food

hodeez  

Post Today at 2:12 pm
I've heard of people making it into a knish or crepe filling. Maybe someone here can elaborate. I just feed them to my kids bh they like vegetables

Elfrida  

Post Today at 2:13 pm
We eat them in the soup!

I've heard of people mashing them and making soup vegetable kugel. I don't know how, but you'd need flour, or some kind of binding agent.

hodeez

Post Today at 2:14 pm
I think you could also mix with matzah ball mix and egg and fry

ra_mom  

Post Today at 2:24 pm
I usually just make myself a big bowl of fresh chicken soup, pile in the veggies, and enjoy. Then I toss the rest.

If you'd like you can make a blended vegetable soup. But only if your veggies haven't cooked for hours. If they have, they have zero nutritional value since the nutrients have transferred to the chicken soup broth (my veggies cook in the chicken soup for 45 min - 1 hour).

Pureed veggie soup: Sauté lots of onion and garlic for great flavor. Add all cooked soup vegetables. Pour in water to almost cover. Heat through until it starts to bubble. Puree with immersion blender until creamy. Season very very generously with salt to taste.

flowerpower

Post Today at 2:27 pm
My kids eat it with the soup. Yum!!

observer

Post Today at 2:30 pm
We eat them in the soup, it's the best part!

Elfrida

Post Today at 2:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I usually just make myself a big bowl of fresh chicken soup, pile in the veggies, and enjoy. Then I toss the rest.

If you'd like you can make a blended vegetable soup. But only if your veggies haven't cooked for hours. If they have, they have zero nutritional value since the nutrients have transferred to the chicken soup broth (my veggies cook in the chicken soup for 45 min - 1 hour).

Pureed veggie soup: Sauté lots of onion and garlic for great flavor. Add all cooked soup vegetables. Pour in water to almost cover. Heat through until it starts to bubble. Puree with immersion blender until creamy. Season very very generously with salt to taste.

Does this thread bring back memories?

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....90419

(Note. Don't start posting on the old thread.)

ra_mom

Post Today at 2:37 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Does this thread bring back memories?

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....90419

(Note. Don't start posting on the old thread.)

Lol, yes! I definitely just toss them, since that thread.
Once in a while, like when I'm cooking chicken soup before pesach and we need some dinner at the same time- I throw together a veggie soup from those veggies, to serve alongside dinner, since there's not much "extra" in the house yet.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Oct 07 2024, 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tanzanite

Post Today at 2:50 pm
Put them in another pot, add water in small amounts and blend into a thick vegetable soup! (or thin if you add even more water)

Freeze it if you don’t need it for that night. Delicious!

ShishKabob

Post Today at 2:51 pm
Some people make kishka out of it.

Amarante

Post Today at 3:31 pm
I toss if these are the vegetables that have been there from the beginning.

They have given their all to the broth Very Happy and so there really isn't anything to be gained from them.

If I wanted vegetables to eat with the soup I would just add carrots, parsnips or whatever other vegetables you would want to eat and let them cook in the broth for a bit.

amother
Pistachio

Post Today at 3:34 pm
We eat them and since frozen vegetables don't taste so good I make fresh soup every Friday!!!

imaima

Post Today at 3:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I make a big pot of soup every week. I have too many leftover veggies and always throw them out. Is there anything to make with them or just toss?

I have an older home organizing book from Artscroll where they recommended serving veggies from the soup separately as a side dish as a frugal Kollel family option for hosting bochurim etc.

Hard to imagine how high standards were raised nowadays that I don’t think that‘s feasible anymore.

amother
Stone

Post Today at 3:55 pm
We eat them in the soup.

shabbatiscoming

Post Today at 4:04 pm
I dont get it. Why put so many veggies into thr soup if they are not going to be eaten? We eat them with the soup.
And if left over, we eat them with a basari meal.
What baal tashchit to throw them away.

watergirl

Post Today at 4:14 pm
We eat them! Yes, even though it's been simmering away on the stove for many hours. Yes, even though they are soggy. I love soup carrots and onions! Everyone in my house has their favorite thing to pull out of the soup pot. The carrots and sweet potato (I use a whole one) still has a lot of flavor.

If I have a lot of leftover soup, on a Tuesday or Wednesday I make creamy chicken noodle casserole with the leftover broth, chicken, and veg. It's one of the best meals we have.

amother
Maple

Post Today at 5:03 pm
:את חטאי אני מזכיר היום
I eat 'em!!

Seriously though, veggies from chicken soup are so delicous, I can't fathom y'all throwin' 'em out... Sad

amother
Hotpink

Post Today at 5:06 pm
watergirl wrote:
We eat them! Yes, even though it's been simmering away on the stove for many hours. Yes, even though they are soggy. I love soup carrots and onions! Everyone in my house has their favorite thing to pull out of the soup pot. The carrots and sweet potato (I use a whole one) still has a lot of flavor.

If I have a lot of leftover soup, on a Tuesday or Wednesday I make creamy chicken noodle casserole with the leftover broth, chicken, and veg. It's one of the best meals we have.

How do you make the casserole?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics