Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Peanut butter chocolate rice krispie treats

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 10:43 am
I want to make these with only healthy ingredients (except the chocolate). Will it work if I just melt peanut butter and dark chocolate chips? I have seen recipes where they sub honey for corn syrup. I would be OK with that if it's needed for texture but if it's just for sweetness, rather not. (My family is always saying desserts are too sweet.)
Any other tips?

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 10:45 am
maybe try oats instead

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 10:46 am
amother Peony wrote:
maybe try oats instead

Not opposed but why?

bsy  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 10:46 am
I made a brownie with peanut butter chocolate crunch on top. I don't see why you can't make just the crunch. I melted peanut butter and chocolate chips and then mixed in rice crispies. Flattened it out and put in fridge for 30 mins to harden.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 10:49 am
bsy wrote:
I made a brownie with peanut butter chocolate crunch on top. I don't see why you can't make just the crunch. I melted peanut butter and chocolate chips and then mixed in rice crispies. Flattened it out and put in fridge for 30 mins to harden.

Thank you! That's funny because originally I was going to make a pie crust that way but one of my kids said why don't we just have the crust?

What are proportions?

cinnabon

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 10:50 am
I have a recipe

MELT in microwave:
​1 cup peanut butter
​1 cup honey ( I use raw honey)
​½ lb. (8 0z.) baking chocolate (18 small squares)
​1 T water

ADD:
​4 cups Rice Krispies

SHMEAR onto cookie sheet and put in fridge for a short while until it becomes firm

MELT:​1 ½ cups peanut butter
​2 ¼ bars white chocolate (16 0z.)
​OR 9 oz. black chocolate
POUR over first layer and put back in fridge until firm

Cut out circles, drizzle melted black chocolate and ENJOY!

amother
Blush  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 10:53 am
I use organic rice crispies, maple syrup, natural peanut butter.

For the topping, dark chocolate (can use hu, or pascha) mixed with some natural pb.

Rorie has a recipe for crispy treats sweetened with dates.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 11:03 am
amother Blush wrote:
I use organic rice crispies, maple syrup, natural peanut butter.

For the topping, dark chocolate (can use hu, or pascha) mixed with some natural pb.

Rorie has a recipe for crispy treats sweetened with dates.

I have the organic (sprouted) rice crispies, etc. But was hoping to do this as one (lazy) layer . Also is maple there for taste or just for texture? If it's for taste I would leave it out.

bsy  

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 11:05 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! That's funny because originally I was going to make a pie crust that way but one of my kids said why don't we just have the crust?

What are proportions?

1.5 cups chocolate chips
1/3 cup PB
3 cups rice crispies (I added a little more)

amother
  Blush

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 11:06 am
amother OP wrote:
I have the organic (sprouted) rice crispies, etc. But was hoping to do this as one (lazy) layer . Also is maple there for taste or just for texture? If it's for taste I would leave it out.
I can imagine just pb having the right texture but maybe with melted chocolate it will? I don't know.

imanotmommy

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 11:41 am
PB will continue to have pb texture, and chocolate will harden into chocolate. You'll have the right flavors, but they won't stick together the way rice krispy treats do.
When I just want the crispy-pb-chocolate combo, I melt pb in the microwave, stir in some cocoa powder, and mix with rice krispies or other cereal. I freeze it for a bit if I want the coating to thicken. It's a great snack
But that won't work if you want a dessert that you can cut into squares

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 12:39 pm
If you're switching from corn syrup to honey, be aware that honey has a much stronger flavor. You should probably reduce it, maybe even by half.

But yes you'll need the honey to give it that pull-apart texture that you're looking for. Unless, as other posters wrote, you're OK with a more crunchy dessert, then you can melt pb and chocolate and mix with the cereal on its own.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 29 2024, 12:47 pm
How are you defining healthy? this recipe is all carbs and fat

amother
  OP  

Post Today at 6:59 pm
I made them today based somewhat on bsy's recipe (thank you!!) and they turned out perfect for my taste. I melted 3/4 of a cup of natural peanut butter (salted) with 1 1/2 c of 70% chocolate chips. When it was completely melted I mixed in a box of organic sprouted rice krispie cereal (probably 5 cups or so). I put it in a deep pan lined with parchment and fridged it for about an hour.

bsy

Post Today at 8:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
I made them today based somewhat on bsy's recipe (thank you!!) and they turned out perfect for my taste. I melted 3/4 of a cup of natural peanut butter (salted) with 1 1/2 c of 70% chocolate chips. When it was completely melted I mixed in a box of organic sprouted rice krispie cereal (probably 5 cups or so). I put it in a deep pan lined with parchment and fridged it for about an hour.

So happy it worked! The recipe I used is from table for two, just want to give the credit where it is due. My kids love that dessert. It's a flat brownie, smeared with fluff, and the peanut butter chocolate crunch spread on top

amother
  OP

Post Today at 9:10 pm
bsy wrote:
So happy it worked! The recipe I used is from table for two, just want to give the credit where it is due. My kids love that dessert. It's a flat brownie, smeared with fluff, and the peanut butter chocolate crunch spread on top

I was thinking that some time I would make it as a pie crust. It's nice and crunchy. Wishing you a sweet, happy and chocolatey year.

amother
Hyssop

Post Today at 9:35 pm
I melt baking chocolate and mix with peanut butter until smooth.
Then I mix in rice krispeas or similar cereal.
I spoon into mini muffin tins, then put in the freezer.
Once frozen I pop them out of the tins and put them in a container.
Keep them in the freezer and take them out a little before ready to use.
Small little treats of chocolate/peanut butter rice krispeas. Yum!

amother
Thistle

Post Today at 9:37 pm
I substitute the corn syrup for honey. Equal amounts .my family much prefers the honey. The texture stays very soft and doesn't get that hard corn syrup texture

berger7

Post Today at 9:46 pm
I made my own modified pb cookie last week ,delicious and super easy
1/2 c honey
1/2 c p butter
1 egg
2 c oats -blend to flour
Drop vanilla
I made flat cookies and put 3 chocolate chips on top yum!
Bake 10 min on 350
I Keep in freezer, defrost in a min
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking