Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Body odor - tell kids to put on deo or not?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 9:09 am
What do you do with preteen and teen girls who sometimes smell?
I've given them the shmooze about hygiene- showers, deoderant, changing smelly clothes, etc.
Don't know if it's okay to remind them to put on deoderant during the day, especially when they smell, or if it's not nice.

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 9:11 am
I would be so upset if I wasn't told that I smell...

amother
Ivory

I do remind mine that it needs to be done daily. I don’t tell them they smell and I just speak about the importance. You should tell them, peers will avoid them if they smell and as their mother it’s your job to guide them and look out for them.

amother
Aster

I’ll tell my girls gently and privately that maybe they should reapply their deodorant.
If it is happening often maybe try a diff brand.
If it’s after excersize you can discuss with them what to do about it.
As long as done gently and privately it should be said to educate.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 9:13 am
I’ve framed it as “as you get older, your body is changing, and one of the things you’ll need to be aware of is body odor and sweat. We are working on building those hygiene habits now, even if you don’t necessarily get stinky every day. I put on deodorant every morning, whether it’s hot or cold out, whether I’m exercising or not. Let’s work on making this part of your routine.”

Last edited by bigsis144 on Wed, Sep 11 2024, 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 9:14 am
If they need to re-apply during the day, they most likely need a different brand. Not all deodorants are anti-perspirant, they may need an anti-perspirant deodorant.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 9:14 am
I think it's one of those things a mother has free license to do even though it would be offensive coming from someone else (anything hygiene related).

amother
DarkYellow

Post Wed, Sep 11 2024, 10:27 am
When my older 2 needed deodorant, all their friends wore, so it wasn't much of an issue.

My next 2 had body odor much younger (son in maybe 6th grade and daughter in 4th). We bought them deodorant and reminded them. My son was better with remembering and putting it on.

I think my daughter is more self conscious as most kids her age aren't wearing yet. When I remind her, she's usually good about putting it on (we let her pick her scent so it's "more exciting"). But I can tell the days she doesn't, and I'll teasingly say, "I think you forgot deodorant today" and she'll laughingly say, "YUP!" I think as she matures and more kids her age use it, she'll be more comfortable.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children