Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Advice on damaged Shabbos cutlery

Rugelech

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 5:56 am
When we got married over 30 years ago we were given very smart looking cutlery to be used on Shabbos. Over a long time period this expensive cutlery set is ruined. We have tries using silver polish on the cutlery but that made it worse.

It looks like we need to buy a new Shabbos cutlery set. I want to buy cutlery that looks elegant for Shabbos but can be put in a dishwasher and not get ruined by doing so.

What cutlery would you buy that can be used regularly in a dishwasher and will still look smart in years to come IY"H?

hodeez

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 5:59 am
I got Mikasa cutlery a year or 2 back and they're holding up well so far. Can't comment on whether they'll last 30 years though

Mommyflower

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 6:20 am
I bought a set of stainless steel Wallace cutlery on Wayfair about 8-10 years ago. It has a very nice basket weave handle and a good heft in the hand. They go in my dishwasher and come out looking great. I happen to have a beautiful set of silver, but the upkeep was getting too difficult. I also bought dishwasher safe Shabbos dishes at the same time. It has changed my cleanup and freed up my Saturday nights.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 8:41 am
Oneida has a guarantee. My friend sends back her set some years over pesach to get refurbished.

Cutlery
25-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: Certain Oneida cutlery items are warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship for 25 years following the date of purchase. Applicable items found to be defective under normal household use and following proper care instructions will be repaired or replaced at no charge with the same item or an item of equivalent value. Minor imperfections such as scratches, stains, and discolorations are normal. Warranty excludes items damaged from misuse or abuse, such as improper cleaning, overheating, neglect, accident, fire, or theft. Warranty does not apply to incidental or consequential damages.

Plonis

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:38 am
Stainless steel washes best in the dishwasher. Make sure it is 18/8 or 18/10 steel, lower quality can and will rust.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 9:45 am
Get good quality stainless. Fewer issues than silver plate and you don't need to polish it.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 10:43 am
Stainless steel, full stop.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics