Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ABA doesn't settle w me

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:05 am
I'm getting ABA for my son because he needs help in the classroom. He doesn't truly need ABA but the yeshiva insists he has a shadow. This is the only way to go through insurance. I'm getting him language as well. The whole concept doesn't settle w me. Some male singling him out and giving him treats every time he behaves. I really don't love this idea... has anyone asked their ABA therapist not to give the incentive?

Molly Weasley  

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:31 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm getting ABA for my son because he needs help in the classroom. He doesn't truly need ABA but the yeshiva insists he has a shadow. This is the only way to go through insurance. I'm getting him language as well. The whole concept doesn't settle w me. Some male singling him out and giving him treats every time he behaves. I really don't love this idea... has anyone asked their ABA therapist not to give the incentive?

You can ask him to give somthing else besides food.

Molly Weasley

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 2:32 am
Why do you have a problem that the para is a male?

Is the teacher a woman?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 3:03 am
My child has aba and has never received food treats at all. I don’t think you’re fully understanding what the therapist will be doing. He should be sitting at the back or side of the room and intervening when necessary. If your child needs to regulate, is being disruptive, or any other personal need, the therapist steps in to help your child one on one. They will motivate your child to do what they need to do with whatever methods are pre discussed. You have a say in what they do.

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Sep 09 2024, 7:15 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
My child has aba and has never received food treats at all. I don’t think you’re fully understanding what the therapist will be doing. He should be sitting at the back or side of the room and intervening when necessary. If your child needs to regulate, is being disruptive, or any other personal need, the therapist steps in to help your child one on one. They will motivate your child to do what they need to do with whatever methods are pre discussed. You have a say in what they do.

Lol ok yeah I worked in many schools and the discrepancy between what was meant to happen and what happened…
Let’s just say many times it ends up getting boiled down to treats for positive behavior.
They will tell you that aba isn’t really aba but bietzem it always is.
Op is it the school or the individual Rebbi/teacher? If it’s the school and not the Rebbi I would try to be in contact with Rebbi/teacher asking constantly for updates and always asking if it’s still necessary. Hopefully they will be on the same page as you and can tell their administration that your son is fine without.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)