Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
How do I know if my child is ready?

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 6:46 pm
How do I know if my child is ready for toilet training? What are the signs that a child is ready? Does it have to do with maturity? Is there anything a child does or doesn’t do that lets me as a parent know that he is ready? Do I just start when I think he is the age? Thanks in advance.

amother
Amaranthus  

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 6:57 pm
If he’s showing signs of interest.
Talking you when he’s dirty.
Some kids take off their diapers.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:31 pm
I trained my son after months of him telling us he needed to make (starting before age 2 but I only trained after 2) and discomfort when he was undressed for a bath and not wanting it to go on the floor.
It meant he was self motivated to not have accidents, had awareness it was coming, and had muscle control to hold it in until we made it to the toilet.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:35 pm
Aware when they are dirty and don't like it.
Interest in the toilet and not scared.
Able to pull up and down clothing and can climb onto the toilet.
Can communicate
There are different methods. Some people do bare bottom and others over hydrate so kids learn urinating faster. It usually takes 3-5 days if the kid is ready. Make it fun and exciting.

readreread

Post Sun, Sep 08 2024, 7:49 pm
I did not wait for signs of readiness and started toilet training my son (successfully) at 22 months. I personally think the readiness signs thing is overrated. As long as your child can understand the connection between potty and going toilet and can communicate when they need the potty, you have the foundation ready.

For me the most important things were:

1) A period of several days where he was totally naked and we had towels over everything. We put him on the potty every 10 minutes and also if he started peeing would quickly pick him up on put him on the potty.

2) A reinforcement treat that you only use for potty training. We gave chocolate-covered pretzels.

We also used the little tiny floor potties so we could carry them from room to room.

amother
  OP  

Post Yesterday at 2:47 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
If he’s showing signs of interest.
Talking you when he’s dirty.
Some kids take off their diapers.

He takes off his diaper. Are you saying that this means he’s ready?
Thanks.

amother
  OP

Post Yesterday at 2:50 am
readreread wrote:
I did not wait for signs of readiness and started toilet training my son (successfully) at 22 months. I personally think the readiness signs thing is overrated. As long as your child can understand the connection between potty and going toilet and can communicate when they need the potty, you have the foundation ready.

For me the most important things were:

1) A period of several days where he was totally naked and we had towels over everything. We put him on the potty every 10 minutes and also if he started peeing would quickly pick him up on put him on the potty.

2) A reinforcement treat that you only use for potty training. We gave chocolate-covered pretzels.

We also used the little tiny floor potties so we could carry them from room to room.

I thought the whole readiness thing was overrated as well. Just didn’t have personal experience so didn’t know for sure. Thanks for empowering me.

amother
Ecru

Post Yesterday at 3:12 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks.

My toddler takes of diapers and then makes a mess all over the place. She doesn’t notice that something is coming out of her.
I am convinced she is not ready yet.
My older was like that and I took a break from training and started again later in and he was more successful

amother
  Amaranthus

Post Yesterday at 9:14 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks.

Very possible. Doesn’t hurt to try.

bsy

Post Yesterday at 10:33 am
I wait til almost 3. Why make a difficult thing even harder? When they're older, it's easier
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training