Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What is the student teacher ratio for your 2.5 yo?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 9:52 am
My dd is in a legal daycare (NJ) and is just barely 2.5. They are following regulations and the official ratio is 1:10 starting from 2.5. It just doesn't seem like enough to me though.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 10:05 am
Not Lkwd- in someone's house. Younger 2's.
1 morah: 8 kids + 1 her own.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 10:15 am
I sub for a bunch of babysitting groups and playgroups.

A babysitting group where there are infants who need multiple naps all over the house and multiple feeds AND toddlers is much much harder than a group of all toddlers (OLDER 2's at that) who need zero or one nap (likely all at the same time on cots and not in 10 different pack and plays in 10 different rooms) and all eat lunch at the same time and don't need to be fed bottles. Plus changing 10 diapers all at the same time (with occasional off schedule poops) is easier than changing all throughout the day when you have breastfed infants and their runny poops all day. And at 2.5 there may be some already toilet trained.

My biggest problem with a group of 10 two and a half year olds is that many of the kids would rather stare at each other and say silly words back and forth than eat at lunch time and I have to keep encouraging them to take bites.

1:10 is TOTALLY do-able at that age in my opinion.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 10:16 am
8 kids per morah. Group of 16.

tichellady  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 10:33 am
Usually 3 teachers, 12 kids. But if one is sick they don’t need a substitute because still follows the law

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 10:53 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
8 kids per morah. Group of 16.

This seems much better to me.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 10:54 am
tichellady wrote:
Usually 3 teachers, 12 kids. But if one is sick they don’t need a substitute because still follows the law

Wow I didn't realize that ratio even existed for that age. Curious how much your daycare costs (if you feel comfortable sharing)?

amother
Thistle

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 10:54 am
2 teachers for ten children

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:00 am
IMHO- 1:10 ratio is acceptable and doable

But an extra pair of hands is always good.
If I had a choice 8:1 is best for 2.5yr old

It all depends how many kids register. Once the Morah hits 11kids she must hire an assistant even if the registration stays at 11
That’s why you see 2 Morahs for 16 kids , but she can take up to 20

My grandkids go to a playgroup that has multiple ages. Each age group is OWNED by a different Morah, but they all have the same rules and regulations and fees, etc.
There are 3 different age groups
The 3 classes share 2 extra rotating ladies, they are really cleaning ladies.
So technically there are 8 adults for approximately 60 children. About an 8:1 ratio

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:11 am
amother OP wrote:
Wow I didn't realize that ratio even existed for that age. Curious how much your daycare costs (if you feel comfortable sharing)?

A lot more than most people pay. Childcare is good and very expensive where I live

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:20 am
In Israel. My son was in cheder at that age. 3 rebbe for 30 kids.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:22 am
1:8

Brit in Israel

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 11:44 am
amother Bergamot wrote:
In Israel. My son was in cheder at that age. 3 rebbe for 30 kids.

The ratio in Israel is 1:10.
My son that age in cheider gan had 21 kids so legally they needed 3 ganenet.
Iriyah ganim will try fill to 30 once they get to 21 and need 3 teachers anyways

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:20 pm
Here the legal ratio is 1:6 with maximum 2:12 for a very high rating by the county, but you can still be approved legally with 1:7 maximum 2:14

It feels plenty to me. My 2 yo is in the 2.5 yo class and I've watched their supervision at an enclosed playground. It's excellent. In the classroom, many kids are doing parallel play or are self sufficient...

They do sometimes have more hands on deck, perhaps to help with transition times/nap...

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:35 pm
We're 2:8. I'm happy with that. It's not just about ratio but having an extra set of hands if a kid runs, gets into something, for an emergency etc. I would not be comfortable with 1:8.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:02 pm
2 morahs
18 kids

amother
Glitter

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:14 pm
1:6 is the required ratio in NY, I believe. Having worked in daycare, I would not send to less.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:19 pm
For legal private daycare in the UK
Under 2 1:3
2-3 1:5 (recently changed from 1:4)
3+ depends on setting, in school nursery with qualified teacher 1:13, in private daycare 1:8

Unqualified staff not counted in ratio, they need to have at least a minimum early years qualification or be working towards it.

I paid most of my wages for childcare but it was safe and amazing quality. Terrifies me what I hear about Israel and the US, with so many children to one morah.

Childcare is super expensive for kids who don't yet go to school but school is much cheaper so overall it works out. That is why so many people don't go back to work so quickly and also use illegal childcare which I would never do.

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:22 pm
I send to a preschool in a school and it’s 2:14 or 3:18 for the twos class and 2:16 for the 3s class.

Honestly, if they’re organized and someone else is bringing them lunch and covering breaks, it works well.

amother
Chambray

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 7:26 pm
My 2.5 year old is in a legal lakewood daycare
There are 2 morahs and 16 kids in the 2 and 3 year old rooms
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics