Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Why can't it all just be included in tuition?!?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 12:02 am
My girls' school has a bunch of extra fees that year after year irritate me to no end!!
-nit fee
-book fee
-supplies fee
- lunch fee
-shabbos party fee (preschool only)

Also, they will ask for more fees throughout the year, such as sukkos project, ice cream etc...

Seriously?!?! I pay tuition, don't nickel and dime me!!
In my son's school, everything is included b'h!
I'm wondering if it's a boy school vs girl school thing? Or it's each school and it's own story?

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 12:17 am
yes!! drives me nuts!!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 4:55 am
It's very annoying, I agree. I wonder if your daughters' school has so many people paying a reduced tuition that if they tried covering all these things that are really directly going to your own kids they wouldn't be able to be sustainable. This way shared expenses can get breaks but at least lunch and textbooks etc can be distributed to each student with money covering it.

Boys schools usually are more financially sound (more people willing to donate, ask for less of a break...)

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 6:29 am
Could there be some tax or funding issues involved?

Or maybe it's a way to hide costs if anyone inquires about tuition, so they won't be put off by the fact that the total cost is actually $1k (or whatever) higher than the advertised tuition cost.

Kind of like how low-cost airlines advertise $400 round trip flights, but to pick a seat costs $30 each way, and meals are an extra charge, and oh by the way it doesn't include fuel tax and airport fees, etc.

Or maybe it allows them to control costs when they give tuition discounts to families with multiple siblings or for teachers' children?

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, Sep 05 2024, 10:44 am
Because than the as is huge tuition bill will look even more monstrous than what they already are, and people might resent or put up a fight.

When splitting it up, these little amounts look petty next to the large tuition bill.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 6:30 am
Shabbos party fee ?! that got me laughing. I teach and never heard of this.
In my kids schools and in my friends' school as well, they rotate with 2 kids each week who brings the nosh. I remember bringing a snack for Shabbos party and feeling so special.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Sep 06 2024, 6:36 am
My sons day camp asked for a major trip fee of “only” $60.

They informed us, the cost is much greater and they “will absorb” the remainder of the cost.

Hello, I paid big money to send to a day camp, that is known for it’s weekly trips!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics