Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Why does being nice backfire
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:03 pm
Why is it that the people who talk tough and put their foot down and arent always 'nice'or pleasant when they speak get what they need quicker and faster

Vs the ones that are more soft spoken, easier to deal with taken for the ride..
I've had a few instances recently where because of my soft spoken, calmer nature, where it seems like I'm unheard and people end up taking advantage because we are nice and not going to give an issue and be understanding
For instance we hired a service that promised us a quick turnaround and it's been weeks for the service to be completed after politely following up and not being a nudge... but if I start questioned and sounding frustrated then suddenly it's taken seriously-
This happens in different scenarios

So Is it better to be more tough and intimating to get thing done?

amother
DarkRed

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:08 pm
No good deed goes unpunished.

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:08 pm
I have the same question ....
Sometimes I'm on the other side, meaning where I work, and the nature of the business we deal with, tbh, its so much easier to serve the pleasant customers. where on the other hand when there is a tough intimidating customer no-one wants to pick up the phone for them and if they end up getting their services done, it's not because they deserve it, but just cuz we got so fed up with them. Being nice is the right way, except in cases where the one providing the services can't supply I guess?? we have a policy in my business, if you're nice and work with us, you will get all the service we have to offer

B'Syata D'Shmya  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why is it that the people who talk tough and put their foot down and arent always 'nice'or pleasant when they speak get what they need quicker and faster

Vs the ones that are more soft spoken, easier to deal with taken for the ride..
I've had a few instances recently where because of my soft spoken, calmer nature, where it seems like I'm unheard and people end up taking advantage because we are nice and not going to give an issue and be understanding
For instance we hired a service that promised us a quick turnaround and it's been weeks for the service to be completed after politely following up and not being a nudge... but if I start questioned and sounding frustrated then suddenly it's taken seriously-
This happens in different scenarios

So Is it better to be more tough and intimating to get thing done?

I always had the theory that people fear bullies and it brings out the fear of their parents, so they give the bullies what they want.
They also fear that the bully will turn on them.

People dont fear the soft spoken, nice easy to deal with folks, they feel safer acting and behaving as they truly want to be. Even if it means hurting the nice person.

As to when to be tough and when soft spoken, that is your choice.

tweety1

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:16 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:

This is a very sore topic for dh and I. It's something we talk about almost every day sometimes multiple times a day.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:17 pm
amother IndianRed wrote:
I have the same question ....
Sometimes I'm on the other side, meaning where I work, and the nature of the business we deal with, tbh, its so much easier to serve the pleasant customers. where on the other hand when there is a tough intimidating customer no-one wants to pick up the phone for them and if they end up getting their services done, it's not because they deserve it, but just cuz we got so fed up with them. Being nice is the right way, except in cases where the one providing the services can't supply I guess?? we have a policy in my business, if you're nice and work with us, you will get all the service we have to offer

Thanks! I should deal with your company whatever service it is, It sounds pleasant and the right way of doing business.

But as you point out, the tough one got their request/service fulfilled so much quicker..I guess it's the fact of life

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:23 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
I always had the theory that people fear bullies and it brings out the fear of their parents, so they give the bullies what they want.
They also fear that the bully will turn on them.

People dont fear the soft spoken, nice easy to deal with folks, they feel safer acting and behaving as they truly want to be. Even if it means hurting the nice person.

As to when to be tough and when soft spoken, that is your choice.

It's not in my nature at all to be tough, I don't know how..
After weeks or month its frustration.. in which I'm still polite and so apologetic for even questioning the process..
The frustrating part is hearing of others that get serviced or requests fulfilled right away because they are more outspoken

ShishKabob  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:24 pm
You can come across nice but firm, not a pushover and not a bully. It's not either or. You can always start nice and if you need to bring some more cards to the table you should use them.
There's a time and place for everything.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:26 pm
amother DarkRed wrote:

True.

Better to be known as nice vs hard to deal with

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:28 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
You can come across nice but firm, not a pushover and not a bully. It's not either or. You can always start nice and if you need to bring some more cards to the table you should use them.
There's a time and place for everything.

Yes thats probably it,
Firm is the right word
But somehow I end up always feeling bad

B'Syata D'Shmya  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's not in my nature at all to be tough, I don't know how..
After weeks or month its frustration.. in which I'm still polite and so apologetic for even questioning the process..
The frustrating part is hearing of others that get serviced or requests fulfilled right away because they are more outspoken

If your life depended on it, would you develop assertiveness?
Maybe you need coaching. Practice being assertive ( not aggressive).

amother
Crocus  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes thats probably it,
Firm is the right word
But somehow I end up always feeling bad

You probably have boundary issues. Which if so, would show up in other areas of your life too.

amother
Raspberry

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
True.

Better to be known as nice vs hard to deal with

But to what extent? Being a nice pushover ho always gets shoved to the side isn't so great. Developing assertiveness is very important lest someone really gets fed up after being all nicey-nicey their whole lives and suddenly develop a mean and manipulative streak.

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:41 pm
You can be nice and still be firm and have boundaries. You can address your frustration to a company without being mean. Try that and see if you are getting results before assuming you have to be mean.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:41 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
But to what extent? Being a nice pushover ho always gets shoved to the side isn't so great. Developing assertiveness is very important lest someone really gets fed up after being all nicey-nicey their whole lives and suddenly develop a mean and manipulative streak.
That's called working on your middos aka character. Sometimes in the process of developing the middle road, you go to the other extreme. As long as you right yourself afterwards.

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:44 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
You probably have boundary issues. Which if so, would show up in other areas of your life too.

Can you explain this more with the boundaries? Thx

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:46 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
If your life depended on it, would you develop assertiveness?
Maybe you need coaching. Practice being assertive ( not aggressive).

How can I practice? Where do I start?

B'Syata D'Shmya  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
How can I practice? Where do I start?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/hea.....44644

https://pumble.com/blog/assert.....tion/

amother
  OP  

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:57 pm
B'Syata D'Shmya wrote:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/assertive/art-20044644

https://pumble.com/blog/assert.....tion/

Thank for taking the time and being so nice & helpful.

Implementing it is the hard part

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Sep 03 2024, 12:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank for taking the time and being so nice & helpful.

Implementing it is the hard part

Practice makes it easier.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette