Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Splitting or separate bill

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 11:53 am
A group of us are going out to eat together. I am mindful of my spending as well as what I eat. Is it very weird for me to insist on a separate bill for myself. I plan to just enjoy a salad. The rest of them will most definitely split.

Molly Weasley

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 11:57 am
Depends on the social situation.

If the rest are expecting to split the bill, and it's not a prohibitive amount of money it's probably x worth being the outcast for a couple of dollars.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 11:57 am
I don't think I've ever split a bill except when discussed in advance and we order loads of dishes buffet style, no individual portions.

You can mention something whilst looking through the menu.

"I'll be paying my own bill, okay?"

agreer

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:07 pm
You do you. No shame in your game.

amother
White

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:17 pm
This is why I stopped eating out with friends/family it always gets sticky and I can't afford take out so if friends want to get together I offer a walk in the park or something similar.

I would eat before and let them know you are just there to socialize due to diet restrictions or something like that . . . .

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:20 pm
That's why we don't ever split bills unless it's discussed prior, like a party or if we're treating someone.
Experience has taught it's always best for everyone to pay their own way. We share food sometimes but everyone pays for what they ordered.

pause

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:23 pm
Usually people decide when they order. Does everyone want to taste from others' dishes? Is someone on a restrictive diet?

Often with 2 people it's easier to pay your own and with more people it's easier to split. However if for whatever reason you prefer one way, say it when you order. "I'll pay for my own food." Or "Let's each order our food but then split the cost." As long as you are up front about it, any way works.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:24 pm
It depends on who I am eating with.

My close friends and family are not shnorrers so we split. In the event that someone has an obviously more expensive meal or get cocktails or equivalent, my experience is that they add that to the amount and so the split is fair.

I also am in situations where I vary picking up the tab with a friend because it is nicer.

With some people I do either ask for a separate tab or people just add up what they ate/drank - add 25% for tax and tip and then pay together. Again I don't typically eat with people who are shnorrers so no one has ever been cheated by someone paying less than what is owed - typically the amount is a bit more than what bill, tax and a generous tip would be.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:40 pm
Unless splitting has been discussed beforehand, the auto assumption is everyone pays their own bill

You can tell the waiter at a point during your meal you’d like to pay for your items, so when it’s time for the check you can play dumb and say you already paid your portion

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:41 pm
I never split. I just say at the start of the meal, I need to have a separate check. Don't make it weird. If it gets weird, I say, I'd love to split but I can't, sorry. That's all.

Cheiny

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 12:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
A group of us are going out to eat together. I am mindful of my spending as well as what I eat. Is it very weird for me to insist on a separate bill for myself. I plan to just enjoy a salad. The rest of them will most definitely split.

I’m not a fan of splitting, because inevitably there’s usually someone who orders a lot more dishes or more expensive items than some others and it can get sticky. Also, others might hesitate to order something more pricey that they might want because they won’t want to seem like they’re taking advantage of the others who will be splitting the bill.

I think there’s nothing wrong with saying, “It’s easier if the waiter gives us separate checks…” and it also eliminates the problem of having to figure out exactly how much each owes… if they choose to split anyway, you can tell the waiter you’d appreciate a separate check.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 1:40 pm
I don't eat out very often, but when we do we all pay individually for what we order.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 1:42 pm
I wouldn’t even imagine splitting the check, unless a very obvious situation like we got a pizza pie and a few large drinks and shared everything…
I don’t see how this could be a positive at all.

I would just tell them casually, if they make it a big deal I find that really weird

amother
Carnation

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 1:50 pm
I’ve gone out many times with freiends. Every single time each person pays for what they order.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 2:24 pm
I don't eat out often so when I do we all have a nice time and we split everything evenly . Means I'm paying more for items I didn't have or drinks that some people savored. It's not often and it's par for course

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Aug 26 2024, 3:30 pm
Thanks for your replies!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette