Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
My spelt challah needs troubleshooting

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 6:57 am
Hi!
I've started making challah around a year ago. Moved around quite a bit, tried a couple of recipes.
I'm using spelt flour and I'm finding that My challah never has a pretty shape to it. I make it and it looks all pretty and then once I leave it for a second rise it goes a bit wonky.
Also every challah I try to make turns out different shape, long and skinny not fat and high (I do 4 strand so it should get height) they're all different sizes.
Also I find that when I roll out the dough it looks quite veiny not so smooth like in the recipes people show. I usually just put a bunch of crumb topping to cover up how it looks. For taste it's great! Soft and yummy and fluffy. Just need troubleshooting help for the looks of it!
If anyone can help and give tips I'd be appreciative !

Ruchi

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 7:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Hi!
I've started making challah around a year ago. Moved around quite a bit, tried a couple of recipes.
I'm using spelt flour and I'm finding that My challah never has a pretty shape to it. I make it and it looks all pretty and then once I leave it for a second rise it goes a bit wonky.
Also every challah I try to make turns out different shape, long and skinny not fat and high (I do 4 strand so it should get height) they're all different sizes.
Also I find that when I roll out the dough it looks quite veiny not so smooth like in the recipes people show. I usually just put a bunch of crumb topping to cover up how it looks. For taste it's great! Soft and yummy and fluffy. Just need troubleshooting help for the looks of it!
If anyone can help and give tips I'd be appreciative !

Bumping. I have the exact same issue

Debbie Rose

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 8:07 am
I make spelt sugar free challah and it’s delicious
Maybe it’s the company flour you use or your recipe

fireworker

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 10:20 am
Debbie Rose wrote:

Can you post your recipe and which brand flour you use?

amother
  OP

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 10:42 am
Debbie Rose wrote:

I've tried many different recipes and ovens and flour. Feel like it's something in the spelt because wheat flour holds beautiful

amother
Bone

Post Fri, Aug 23 2024, 10:43 am
You need to follow a specific spelt recipe. You can’t just substitute for other flours.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note