Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Everything Salmon With Creamy Caper Sauce

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 22 2024, 10:06 am
What a fun recipe this was - easy to cook as well.

Making my own everything bagel mix was easy and less expensive than using the pre-made stuff.

I did use the inexpensive disposable latex gloves I have to do the onions so I didn't have super onion scented hands. LOL I have a few of these I have collected from my doctor visits. Smile

Covered in a crisp, everything-seasoning crust and served with a creamy, tangy caper sauce, this quick, weeknight salmon dinner is inspired by the beloved flavors of bagels and lox. The application of everything bagel seasoning forms a crisp crust on the fish fillets, adding deep flavor while preserving moisture. (You can use store-bought everything bagel seasoning, if you’ve got it, or create your own blend using pantry staples like sesame seeds, poppy seeds, granulated garlic and granulated onions.) Beneath the salmon, there’s a tangy cream cheese caper sauce laced with a subtle hint of lemon. For a refreshing bite, typical bagel and lox toppings — red onions and tomatoes — make a refreshing salad that rounds out the dish.

Everything Salmon With Creamy Caper Sauce

Yield: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS

1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 lemon
Salt
4 tablespoons neutral oil, such as avocado or grapeseed oil
2 medium beefsteak or heirloom tomatoes, halved and thinly sliced
⅓ cup everything seasoning (see Tip)
4 skin-on salmon fillets (6 to 8 ounces each)
4 ounces cream cheese
2 tablespoons (drained) capers in brine plus 2 tablespoons brine, plus more as desired

PREPARATION

To a medium bowl, add the onions. Fill the bowl with cold water and swish the onions under the water. Drain the onions and repeat this step one more time, to soften the raw onion’s sharper notes.

Zest the lemon and reserve the zest for later. To the onions, add 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (about ½ lemon), a pinch of salt and 1 tablespoon of oil. Using your hands, massage the onions, squeezing them as you mix, until they go from crisp and snappy to soft and lightly pink. Add the tomatoes and toss to combine. Taste and add salt as needed.

To a plate, add the everything seasoning.

Season the fish with salt on all sides. Leaving the skin portion of each fillet uncoated, dip each fillet in the everything seasoning until evenly coated on all remaining sides.

Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the fillets in oil, skin-side down, and sear for 4 to 5 minutes, until the skin easily releases from the pan and is crisp and golden. Adjust heat to medium-low. Flip the fish and sear, seasoning-side down, until crisp to the touch, 2 to 3 minutes. Lift the fillets every now and then, peeking underneath to make sure the seasoning is not burning and adjusting the heat as necessary. Transfer the cooked fillets to a plate.

Remove the pan from the heat and, using a clean paper towel, carefully wipe the pan clean, removing any leftover seasoning.

Place the pan over low heat. Break the cream cheese into chunks and place it in the pan. Add the capers and caper brine, 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (from the remaining lemon), 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 3 tablespoons water. Using a silicone spatula, vigorously mix until the cream cheese is fully melted and sauce is creamy, about 3 minutes. Taste and season with more salt or caper brine as needed.

Dollop the sauce onto serving plates, top with the fish and place salad to the side. Garnish with more capers, if you want.

TIP

To make ⅓ cup of your own everything bagel seasoning, simply toss together 2 tablespoons each sesame seeds and poppy seeds with 1 tablespoon each onion granules and garlic granules. The garlic granules can be substituted with onion granules and vice versa.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics