Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Roasted Acorn Squash With Farro Stuffing

Amarante  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 9:46 am
I made this as a side but I think it could actually be a relatively light main perhaps augmented with a soup. Or an option for a veggie

Odelyah  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 11:38 am
this sounds amazing--do you think I could use baby bella mushrooms?

Amarante  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 12:30 pm
Odelyah wrote:
this sounds amazing--do you think I could use baby bella mushrooms?

I found some Maitake mushrooms at a Sprouts near me.

But if you can't find them of course you can substitute them. I think you would be better with a mixture of shiitake and maybe some portobello mushrooms because Bella mushrooms are pretty bland and the Maitake had a more distinctive flavor. Less pronounced than a shiitake which is why the combination would probably be very good.

Odelyah

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 12:38 pm
Amarante wrote:
I found some Maitake mushrooms at a Sprouts near me.

But if you can't find them of course you can substitute them. I think you would be better with a mixture of shiitake and maybe some portobello mushrooms because Bella mushrooms are pretty bland and the Maitake had a more distinctive flavor. Less pronounced than a shiitake which is why the combination would probably be very good.
OK I never heard of maitake actually so thanks for the info--I love shiitake so mixing sounds perfect, assuming I can't get the maitakes

Amarante  

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 12:41 pm
Odelyah wrote:
OK I never heard of maitake actually so thanks for the info--I love shiitake so mixing sounds perfect, assuming I can't get the maitakes

First time using them for me as well.

I also like the distinctive taste of shiitake mushrooms - the maitake mushrooms also had a more distinctive flavor.

Baby Bellas and standard white mushrooms have a much subtler taste - they are kind of the little black dress of the mushroom world LOL

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, Aug 18 2024, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 18 2024, 12:48 pm
I did drizzle with balsamic glaze - it keeps well and is a nice addition to a lot of roasted stuff

Balsamic Glaze

This balsamic glaze is a must-have accompaniment to drizzle over fish, poultry, vegetables, pasta, salads, and even fruit. It can turn any dish from ordinary to extraordinary with its perfectly balanced, intense flavor of sweet and tangy. It adds a beautiful, deep pop of color to any dish to create a perfect, professional presentation. I make a large batch and have it on hand in the fridge at all times. Once you start adding this balsamic glaze to dishes you will become addicted and crave its intense flavor.

Yield: 1 Cup

Ingredients

2 cups balsamic vinegar
½ cup brown sugar

Directions

Gather all ingredients.

Mix balsamic vinegar with brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to low and simmer until glaze is reduced by half and coats the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes.

Let cool, then pour into a lidded jar. Seal and store in the refrigerator.

Recipe Tips

The flavor of this glaze is intense, so it should be used as a drizzle.

Substitute raspberry or any other flavored balsamic vinegar to suit your taste. Instead of brown sugar, you can use molasses, honey, maple syrup, or agave nectar.

Cook's Note:

Some of my favorite ways to serve it are with Gorgonzola cheese and green onions; on pasta, portobello mushrooms, or grilled beets and carrots; with salmon or chicken; or as a dressing on a salad with toasted nuts, dried cranberries, or fresh strawberries.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals