Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can’t afford fancy shabbos foods
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP  

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 10:53 am
Like a million dips, chicken fingers, fancy meat or small roasts or steaks, even regular cholent meat is expensive.
I feel so dumb cuz I see everyone filling their carts with all the expensive foods even if they’re not rich bec they’re on food stamps and we’re not eligible.
Just wanted to get my feelings out. Just went to the store and literally had anxiety

Success10

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:12 am
Sometimes it seems like " everyone" has the things we don't have, when it's really only a small percentage. You are BH able to make a bechovedige shabbos, even if it's a bit old fashioned. You are responsible with your spending. You have many blessings.

hodeez

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:13 am
Why feel dumb? It would be dumber if you filled up your cart with food you can't pay for. Hashem should help you with your situation bkaarov

flowerpower

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:18 am
I do basics every week. Who needs fancy?? So much of it ends up in the garbage. How much can a person eat? The meal is big already as is- challah, fish, soup, chicken…

amother
Linen  

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:25 am
I’m having
Challah and homemade sourdough
Chummus and sautéed eggplant
Chicken soup
Brownies

Chulent
Deli roll
Turkey salad
Brownies and fruit

Am I a nebach? Idk my kids 1-11 are very happy

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:26 am
I can't either. No dips. Gefilte fish. One salad. Maybe soup. Chicken and kugel. A very small peice of meat in cholent for flavor. Noone is deprived bh everyone is full and happy. The more food you have does not mean the happier you are. Change your attitude and count your blessings and you will truly be happier.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:27 am
It's smart to be responsible.

Dips are relatively inexpensive to make.

Chicken fingers too. And candied or hasselback salami

amother
Arcticblue

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:33 am
Dh is a professional we make over 200k and I’m careful what I buy. It’s dumb to end up in debt for these overpriced mishegasin. We have up to 3 dips salmon but no gefilta and 2 nosh. No sauté liver, cold cuts herring ect. But I totally relate to the feeling of being poorer than all these people who can get anything they want for free.

tichellady

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:34 am
Come move out of town where none of these things are available. People are impressed if there is more than one protein at a meal

scintilla

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:40 am
I'm on food stamps and cholent meat is a special treat. Plenty of shabbosim we have grilled chicken or something with ground meat for shabbos day instead, and I make all our dips - most are really easy and can be frozen in big quantities.

Shabbos can definitely be special and delicious on a budget!!

amother
Cinnamon

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:44 am
us neither but honestly it grosses me out. Insane level of gluttony. I don’t know if this is what hashem intended for people to do lekovod shabbos.
We’re so happy to our salmon and chicken soup. We do one dip per meal. Yom tov we’ll do 2 per meal, but only 3 dips total.
Dessert is canned fruit. Yum.

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:46 am
I can easily afford all of those, yet we don’t because I think about our poor stomachs. Our society is overly obsessed with food, and then we’re completely befuddled why we struggle with weight and health. Dh and I have gone back to the basics. We feel overly cool that most of our food is homemade.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:47 am
tichellady wrote:
Come move out of town where none of these things are available. People are impressed if there is more than one protein at a meal

Two proteins is a lot for one meal. Fish and chicken or fish and cholent with some meat in it at the same meal is as fancy as we get. I make my own dips when I have time they’re cheap. We don’t have deli meats, deli roll, salads with meat in them. Salads at our house are made of vegetables. Potato kugel is a favorite and costs next to nothing. Ditto for kishka in the cholent. When we have company I get fancy and make two types of chicken. I won’t look into your shopping cart op if you don’t look in mine.

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:47 am
Thanks everyone
I feel a little better
You’re right I can make a lot of these things at home. I just didn’t think about it until I was in the store, and I felt bad
I just started making shabbos myself so it’s a learning curve
Thanks for all these great ideas

Cheiny

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:49 am
amother OP wrote:
Like a million dips, chicken fingers, fancy meat or small roasts or steaks, even regular cholent meat is expensive.
I feel so dumb cuz I see everyone filling their carts with all the expensive foods even if they’re not rich bec they’re on food stamps and we’re not eligible.
Just wanted to get my feelings out. Just went to the store and literally had anxiety

I’m sorry you’re struggling financially.
There is a concept of Hashem paying back every dime that a person spends l’kavod Shabbos. That’s why you’ll see lots of people buying special foods, which we are told to do in honor of Shabbos, even things that they normally wouldn’t buy. I learned it’s especially good to buy some special items on Friday morning.

You don’t have to buy “a million dips,” but I would suggest to buy one special thing for Shabbos and trust in Hashem that He will pay you back for it.

Last edited by Cheiny on Fri, Aug 16 2024, 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
  OP  

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:52 am
Cheiny wrote:
I’m sorry you’re struggling financially.
There is a concept of Hashem paying back every dime that a person spends l’kavod Shabbos. That’s why you’ll see lots of people buying special foods, which we are told to do in honor of Shabbos, even things that they normally wouldn’t buy. I learned it’s especially good to big some special items on Friday morning.

You don’t have to buy “a million dips,” but I would suggest to buy one special thing for Shabbos and trust in Hashem that He will pay you back for it.

Thanks. I like that idea.

icedcoffee

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:54 am
amother Linen wrote:
I’m having
Challah and homemade sourdough
Chummus and sautéed eggplant
Chicken soup
Brownies

Chulent
Deli roll
Turkey salad
Brownies and fruit

Am I a nebach? Idk my kids 1-11 are very happy

Is this a "nebach" meal? This would be a huge amount of food for me. Ours would be more like challah, salad, deli roll, and brownies.

mfb

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 11:54 am
Also remember everyone prioritizes different things to spend on.
One on better clothing
Another on better shoes
More food
Cleaning help
Car
Ubers……
So the person spending on these foods might be saving on something else you do spend on

crl

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 12:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks everyone
I feel a little better
You’re right I can make a lot of these things at home. I just didn’t think about it until I was in the store, and I felt bad
I just started making shabbos myself so it’s a learning curve
Thanks for all these great ideas

I used to feel very similar to you, OP - more also like that people were serving super fancy things, like oyster steak, skirt steak, the chulent has 4 types of meat, 5 salads, 10 dips, all these crazy things that are delicious but also wholly unnecessary. Like how do you justify 35/lb for a teeny skirt steak?

I really started to cut down my meals and I feel physically so much better, as well as it costs a lot less . I also enjoy cooking so I like that I can make my own potato kugel and it cost me about 8 dollars to make 2-3 as opposed to the 12-15 dollars for one - it feels like I hacked the system, lol. Challah is like maybe 10-12 dollars and I end up with 6 large ones versus 8-12 per challah. Broccoli kugel, if you check the heads yourself can cost like 5 dollars to make.

You can absolutely have a delicious, filling, shabbos meal without breaking the bank.

Tonight I am having a roast I dug up from my freezer that I had forgotten about (and I rarely do meat anymore, usually I do schnitzel and it's easy, oven baked and delicious), mushroom barley soup that I made enough to freeze for next week, one dip, potato kugel and veggie kugel. I might make an israeli salad and I have some leftover cake for dessert.

I have a million easy, relatively quick and delicious recipes I rotate - I hate patchkas but like saving money so feel free to PM if it's helpful!

And don't forget that you're being SMART, your family is fed, and I am sure what you make is amazing, delicious and 100% shabbosdik and lovely. Heart

amother
Whitesmoke  

Post Fri, Aug 16 2024, 12:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

I don’t buy or eat any of these and frankly people who fill their carts with 5$ mayo dips have more money than sense !!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics