Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Job search for my husband in Baltimore

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Aug 14 2024, 2:52 am
Hi,
Can anyone point me to any resources for finding a job in Baltimore for my husband? We are looking to move there but he needs a job...
He is interested in Kashrus, school administration or any kind of job where you can be your own boss.
If you have any leads, please reach out!

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Aug 14 2024, 7:42 am
He can call the Star K for a job in Kashrus. They employ a lot of people.

amother
Apricot  

Post Wed, Aug 14 2024, 7:44 am
That’s a very broad range of jobs. What does he do now?
I’d be wary of him getting a job as a school administrator, it’s a long day and definitely not choose your own hours.
I think most kashrus agencies here are looking for mashgichim. Call the star k, that’s the Baltimore kashrus agency. Plus all the other major agencies have mashgichim who work here. I don’t know how much of choose your own hours he’ll get since most places have set times to be open.
(And if you’re coming to Baltimore for cheap housing or vouchers, we don’t have either.)

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, Aug 14 2024, 9:19 am
I’m married for almost 20 years and there were times that my husband didn’t have a job. I’ve learned the hard way that he needs to look for the jobs himself. He needs to feel that this is what he wants/needs to do. If there is no internal motivation, nothing you do will help. Best of luck.

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 14 2024, 12:29 pm
He's currently in kollel and he does some kashrus on the side, but he's not limited to that.
@Apricot, what are houses going for now?

amother
  Apricot  

Post Wed, Aug 14 2024, 12:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
He's currently in kollel and he does some kashrus on the side, but he's not limited to that.
@Apricot, what are houses going for now?

Where do you want to live? What style house? Attached? I’d say expect to spend at least 350 but will probably be over 400. Some neighborhoods are close to a million or more. Popular areas are also more. Look in the advertiser to get an idea.

amother
Emerald  

Post Wed, Aug 14 2024, 12:48 pm
Ahavas Yisroel has a job help program. When my husband lost his job they helped him network. In the end he found a job on his own, but they were very helpful.

email ygoldenberg@baltimorejobnetwork.org

There is also a frum whatsapp group that posts local (baltimore) jobs or sometimes remote jobs

In terms of housing, you still can find under $300k, but probably in the park heights area and a smaller semi-detached (basically a townhouse but only 2 units attached) , but in general housing has sky rocketed in Baltimore in the last few years. Even in the park heights area, where housing tends to be cheaper the cost of houses are more like $400k-upper $500k and as they are older, they tend to need work. Other areas are more expensive.

Not to push you away. Baltimore is a really wonderful community.

amother
Mauve  

Post Wed, Aug 14 2024, 10:01 pm
amother Oak wrote:
He can call the Star K for a job in Kashrus. They employ a lot of people.
Yes, try Star K. Or OU (they're not local, but have many people based here). Also call up local caterers for mashgiach options. FYI, you definitely don't make your own hours in this field of work.
I'm sorry, but I don't think any of the schools would hire a non-local fresh out of kollel guy with zero experience in school administration. But they probably have openings for tutors, davening rebbes, shadows, and positions like that. Again, definitely not make your own hours. Does he have a degree?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Aug 14 2024, 10:08 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
Ahavas Yisroel has a job help program. When my husband lost his job they helped him network. In the end he found a job on his own, but they were very helpful.

email ygoldenberg@baltimorejobnetwork.org

There is also a frum whatsapp group that posts local (baltimore) jobs or sometimes remote jobs

In terms of housing, you still can find under $300k, but probably in the park heights area and a smaller semi-detached (basically a townhouse but only 2 units attached) , but in general housing has sky rocketed in Baltimore in the last few years. Even in the park heights area, where housing tends to be cheaper the cost of houses are more like $400k-upper $500k and as they are older, they tend to need work. Other areas are more expensive.

Not to push you away. Baltimore is a really wonderful community.

It's worth reaching out for job assistance, but in the past we were told thay they only help if you're already living in Baltimore. Could be things have changed.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 3:24 am
Thank you so much! Those housing prices do sound like they're in our range bH so that's not my biggest concern. I did see some potential homes in the advertiser.
Any leads on how to get added to the Whatsapp group?

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 9:35 am
You can't just get a job as a school administrator. You need experience, education, and training. Most administrators are in the classroom for many years. And you certainly are not your own boss as an administrator- you have a board you are working under.

amother
  Apricot

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 10:16 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much! Those housing prices do sound like they're in our range bH so that's not my biggest concern. I did see some potential homes in the advertiser.
Any leads on how to get added to the Whatsapp group?

What WhatsApp group are you talking about? Also know that here you need two cars. Plus if you’re looking to move soon and have kids, schools could be full.

amother
  Emerald  

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:17 am
Quote:
What WhatsApp group are you talking about? Also know that here you need two cars. Plus if you’re looking to move soon and have kids, schools could be full.

This isn't lakewood where people don't get into schools. Yes some schools like Bnos have a cap, but most schools will try to accommodate.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:41 am
amother Emerald wrote:
Quote:

This isn't lakewood where people don't get into schools. Yes some schools like Bnos have a cap, but most schools will try to accommodate.

Isn't school starting in just a few weeks?

amother
  Mauve

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 11:50 am
amother Emerald wrote:
Quote:

This. They won't be happy about adding a kid this last minute, but BY and TA/TI will always make room for a kid that moves to Baltimore.
But I highly doubt OP is considering moving here in the next 3 weeks. Sounds like she's doing very preliminary research and still needs to learn a lot about the job market and housing market here.

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 1:03 pm
Yes, we are planning for after pesach or the summer bezH, looking into a few communities.
@Emerald mentioned a whatsapp group for jobs.

amother
  Emerald

Post Thu, Aug 15 2024, 3:02 pm
Quote:
Yes, we are planning for after pesach or the summer bezH, looking into a few communities.
@Emerald mentioned a whatsapp group for jobs.

I am not sure how to send an invite but it's called (New) Frum Baltimore Jobs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating