Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Any Suggestions?

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Aug 13 2024, 1:11 pm
are there any good articles / books that explain the power/value of naming after someone? and choosing one of their names vs doing both? ex- if I name after my grandfather mordechai yitzchak and I name my son chaim yitzchak...

BH no family drama over it, just feel drawn to use one of the names, but is there a source for definetly using both?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 13 2024, 1:32 pm
I think a Rav would be helpful to ask about this

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Aug 13 2024, 1:34 pm
Speak to a rabbi. A lot of the name stuff is controversial with everyone believing differently. Not everything that people feel so strongly about has a real basis.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 13 2024, 4:44 pm
Not all rabbis will say it's a shzila

Molly Weasley

Post Tue, Aug 13 2024, 4:55 pm
Mordecai Yitzchok and chaim Yitzchok are two different names.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Aug 13 2024, 7:17 pm
There are enough opinions on names to cover anything you want to do. Some say only the exact name, unless the person died young / had a terrible life / didn't have children/ was very ill, and then davka don't give the whole name and add another name. Some say any name you use from the person is after them, even if not the whole name. Some say anything in the spirit of the person (like a good middah they conveyed) is fine. Some say a name with the same letters but a different order or with the same gematria is fine even if the names are totally different. Some say a name with the same meaning is fine, even if they are both Hebrew. Some say ok to make hebrew from yiddish, others say only use the original yiddish, some say no yiddish at all better to use only hebrew names because it is lashon hakodesh. I'm sure there are 8 other opinions that I'm missing. Most of it isn't halacha though, so you won't be doing a sin if you don't use the right part(s) of someone's name.

As the mother of your baby, you get ruach hakodesh to name your baby. So trust yourself and go with the name you feel is best for you baby.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Aug 13 2024, 7:44 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
There are enough opinions on names to cover anything you want to do. Some say only the exact name, unless the person died young / had a terrible life / didn't have children/ was very ill, and then davka don't give the whole name and add another name. Some say any name you use from the person is after them, even if not the whole name. Some say anything in the spirit of the person (like a good middah they conveyed) is fine. Some say a name with the same letters but a different order or with the same gematria is fine even if the names are totally different. Some say a name with the same meaning is fine, even if they are both Hebrew. Some say ok to make hebrew from yiddish, others say only use the original yiddish, some say no yiddish at all better to use only hebrew names because it is lashon hakodesh. I'm sure there are 8 other opinions that I'm missing. Most of it isn't halacha though, so you won't be doing a sin if you don't use the right part(s) of someone's name.

As the mother of your baby, you get ruach hakodesh to name your baby. So trust yourself and go with the name you feel is best for you baby.

this was helpful and comforting - thanks!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names