Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Money making jobs for a 9yr old boy

amother
OP  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 5:39 pm
My 9yr old son would love to earn money.

I can b"h afford to buy him what he needs and wants, but since he has such an interest, I would love to take this opportunity for him to learn about the value of earning money.

My question is, what sorts of jobs can he realistically do that are appropriate for a main stream yeshiva boy?

The typical, wash cars, walk a dog, mow someone's lawn, help seniors are not usually needed in our Frum circles.

A carnival and the like become more of a job for me than him.

He's tried lemonade stands, bake sales and the like and made a few dollars.

I don't think he's at an appropriate age to babysit responsibly.

He's also realistically in day camp for the majority of the day, but Fridays/Sundays are open.

Looking for ideas to satisfy his creativity and inquisitive nature.

amother
Nectarine  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 5:56 pm
Can he learn a skill like making balloon animals that he can hire himself out at little kid birthday parties? Or something along those lines?

amother
  OP  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 6:00 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Can he learn a skill like making balloon animals that he can hire himself out at little kid birthday parties? Or something along those lines?

What a great suggestion! Thank you!

Open to all and any other ideas.

honey36  

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 6:07 pm
Why would mow the lawn not be needed in frum circles?

I personally would not let my 9 year old use a motor lawn mower for safety reasons, but there's lots of other yard stuff he can do, like clean up trash and twigs from people's lawns, spray the cracks with weed killer, trim bushes etc. Once fall comes, rake and pack the leaves,. These jobs are all very time consuming (believe me, I know I do them all myself Whew ) and I would gladly pay a boy to do it for me. If most of your neighbors pay gardeners to do this for them, he can offer to do it for cheaper than the gardener.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 6:09 pm
Bind books

honey36

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 6:10 pm
Wash outdoor windows
Sweep driveways and patios
Clean BBQs

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 6:11 pm
My 10 yr old fixed bikes!!! LOL
Great learning experience! Some things he needed help with. He asked us to look at YouTube videos that explain how to do some jobs.
He made a little bit of money that way!

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 6:13 pm
He can be a mother's helper for a mother who is at home. He can read to or play with one child while the mother is with another child(ren).

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 6:14 pm
Pick up trash from the fronts of ppls houses. For an additional fee, he can put toys away neatly in front of a garage/porch/whatever. I’m sure there are plenty of families that would pay to have scooters/bikes/cozy coupes lined up neatly instead of strewn about.

amother
Navyblue

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 6:31 pm
We have a 9 year old neighbor that we pay $12 to mow our lawn. There’s also a boy in our neighborhood who people hire to remove unwanted pests and animals - we called him to remove a snake from our house once for a few dollars. A couple brothers in the neighborhood make and sell cholent on Thursdays. My dd9 gave roller blading lessons for $1 per 10 min. A 10 year old in the neighborhood sells flower arrangements. A 12 year old does face painting. During snowy weather he can shovel walks.

Basically, find something he is comfortable doing and start spreading the word!

amother
  Nectarine

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
What a great suggestion! Thank you!

Open to all and any other ideas.

Sure! ☺️

amother
Ebony

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:22 pm
My son is the same way Smile

Trying to think if theres anything not mentioned here that he's done🤔

Hes rented out his Segway once in a while (making sure the other kids get permission from their mother) . Does your son have anything he can do that with?

I've also paid him somtimes to watch his younger siblings or entertain them when I had to get things done (he has regular things he does to help out at home that he doesn't get paid for. This was like an extra)

He once got paid to hang up posters around the neighborhood...

This summer when the person who usually does this goes away - he pays my son to straighten up the shul (put the seforim away, straighten out the chairs...)

Will post more if I think of anything...

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:48 pm
Collect mail or take out the garbage cans for neighbors. Especially now when many go away.

Learn some magic tricks or juggling and make little shows. Or for parties.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:51 pm
I had one of these. He liked cooking and baking, so I helped him organize food sales. Like during the nine days he'd maybe sell pans of ziti. Or he'd sell cookies or blondies for Shabbos. Or kugels.

It was work for me -- I'd help him figure out his budget (the first time I think I donated the money for the ingredients, after that I started making him pay me back), write up a form to ask neighbors and friends/relatives who lived nearby. I'd also have to make sure the kitchen was available to him the night he was supposed to cook. He only made as much as people ordered, so he knew exactly how many he needed. And I'd usually have him make a couple for us (for Shabbos, or for the freezer) as my payment for letting him use the kitchen for his business.

He made a decent amount of money that way, but it did take some work from me -- buying the ingredients, helping him clean up afterwards, delivering anything that wasn't within walking distance -- but you could probably streamline it by making it only local neighbors and planning well in advance so you could just pick up the ingredients on your normal shopping trip.

strawberry cola

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:52 pm
If there is a relative or someone you know well who has an Amazon business, he might be able to use his services packing boxes, attaching shipping labels, or the like

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 7:57 pm
Is he interested in photography my nephew assisted a photographer starting at this age, he was also hired by his camp to take pictures used for their newsletter for a few bucks, and now he does little events on his own.

amother
  OP

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 8:22 pm
Thank you everyone!!! Such awesome suggestions!!! They are all great! Going to run the ideas by him to see what interests him the most.

Still open to any new suggestions 🙂

bestme

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 8:26 pm
Some boys in my neighborhood make A small boys day camp on fast days. They charge a little money.

wanttobehappy

Post Wed, Aug 07 2024, 11:16 pm
My son made packages for boys to give there siblings on visiting Day. He made small medium and large. He actually made them buy the nosh and took empty boxes from the canteen. Surprised the kids paid. He was supper proud
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children