Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What is a BA useful for?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 8:12 pm
My daughter is considering going for a BA.
(As of now) She does not plan on getting a Masters in the future.
She does not want to work with children. She's not interested in doing social work, PT, OT etc . Is there a point in getting a BA?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 8:13 pm
What does she want to major in? If she does computer science or cybersecurity then she can make some serious money

Last edited by amother on Sun, Aug 18 2024, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

pknt

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 8:18 pm
shoshie888 wrote:
What does she want to major in? If she does computer science or cybersecurity then she can make some serious money
yes she likes computers and is actually interested in cybersecurity, coding.. Would she need a BA for that?

shoshie888

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 8:20 pm
pknt wrote:
yes she likes computers and is actually interested in cybersecurity, coding.. Would she need a BA for that?
yes she’ll need a bachelors in CS (computer science) or cybersecurity. Lots of work from home options which is great for working moms. She could also go the course route, as in take a 10 month course and then go work. But I’ve always been more in favor of getting a full bachelors. More stable , reputable, and can be used for different careers paths if she chooses to stray in the future

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 8:21 pm
A Bachelor of Science (as opposed to a Bachelor of Arts) degree in Computer Science seems more applicable if she is interested in cyber. For just coding, she may be able to go to a training academy. But those are very narrowly focused.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 8:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
She does not want to work with children. She's not interested in doing social work, PT, OT etc . Is there a point in getting a BA?

Where do you live? In NY, any care management job (for special needs/behavioral/med fragile kids), requires a BA as per DOH. I got mine just for that. It's rewarding and stimulating. Considering getting a masters but don't need it for this and not sure what I would do with it...

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 02 2024, 5:39 am
A BA in what

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Aug 02 2024, 7:18 am
pknt wrote:

Computers and coding are not a BA. That would be a B.S.

As far as usefulness, some places might want to see that an applicant has a degree. Any degree. But in general I think it's worth figuring out what you want to do before paying for an expensive degree. She should try to fgure out what she might want to do and see what training or education is required.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Aug 02 2024, 7:30 am
A BA in any major can be valuable because it provides career opportunities and flexibility for the rest of your life,

The frum world to a great extent seems to look at education as a trade school which can limit one in the future.

Even if one opts for a career oriented degree like nursing, having a BA means that one has the opportunity to use the nursing background as a stepping stone to a career in which one's health background is utilized.

I have a friend with a nursing degree who went into administration on a higher level and got her MBA. I have another friend who eventually got a PHD in Public Health and works at a major organization. if they had not had the BA their choices and opportunities would have been much more limited.

It is almost impossible to get hired for even a starting position without a BA in the non-frum world. Most corporations hire college grads as administrative assistants and that is the path for promotion so you try to get a job in the industry or department that you want to advance in.

Most people don't have a firm idea of what they want to do when they are 18 and so tunneling them into training that limits to a certain job might not be the best way to proceed for a productive and even lucrative career.

That said, there is no reason to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to get a degree. You can do it inexpensively in most areas by doing community college or even state university for a relatively inexpensive degree.

amother
Melon

Post Fri, Aug 02 2024, 7:32 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
Where do you live? In NY, any care management job (for special needs/behavioral/med fragile kids), requires a BA as per DOH. I got mine just for that. It's rewarding and stimulating. Considering getting a masters but don't need it for this and not sure what I would do with it...

I am thinking of getting my BA so I could become a care manager.
Could you work part time as a care manager?
Did you need to get a BA in anything specific? Did you do it on line?

amother
Diamond

Post Fri, Aug 02 2024, 7:51 am
amother OP wrote:

Shidduchim😀

I’m only partly joking, lots of boys wouldn’t consider a girl not in college, would be stereotyped as not smart.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics