Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
If you have a non smartphone, what phone do you have
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 12:58 pm
Looking to give up my smartphone. Trying to figure out what the options are and the pros and cons of each.

Please share what u have, what the phone has on it. If you dislike anything

The options I'm aware of: fig (more than one type?) Cat, lg and Kyocera

Am I missing anything?

Odelyah  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
Looking to give up my smartphone. Trying to figure out what the options are and the pros and cons of each.

Please share what u have, what the phone has on it. If you dislike anything

The options I'm aware of: fig (more than one type?) Cat, lg and Kyocera

Am I missing anything?

Yasher koach!!!
I have a Sunbeam Orchid and I love it. Just be aware that like some other flip phones, the CAT S22 (I assume that's the one you mean) is actually a smartphone, although I assume it can be filtered and it may still meet your needs.
I got my Sunbeam because after the end of 3G, the slider qwerty phones I always used (and bought for very cheap off ebay Sad) stopped working, and there were no non smartphones that I would be able to text on without going crazy, until BH Sunbeam came along with a very smartly designed phone for people who do not want a smart phone. It has no browser and no app store at all. It has a touch screen qwerty keyboard option for texting, and even better, voice texting. It has maps (the new ones now have a Waze option) and weather. And camera and picture texting but no video or video texting. It came already approved by TAG without having to do anything because of how it's designed. (FYI the new line of Sunbeam phones has some options with a hotspot, but those options aren't approved by TAG, if that is important to you.)

Ridethewaves

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:37 pm
I have a fig phone. It has texting, waze, weather, zmanim, notes. Texting is t9 or touch. Picture quality isn't as good as an iphone, but I have high standards- I think most people would be ok with it. Can't play any videos. I've definitely saved alot of time and I'm a better mother since I switched over.

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:45 pm
Odelyah wrote:
Just be aware that like some other flip phones, the CAT S22 (I assume that's the one you mean) is actually a smartphone, although I assume it can be filtered and it may still meet your needs.

My son has the CAT S22 flip. I have no idea why people are saying this phone is not a kosher phone (in other threads) or its a smartphone, etc. We have ours through whatever kosher phone person in town and it's so completely locked down it's not even funny. I can't even get in the system to do the updates.

If you get it off Amazon then no, it's not a kosher phone. Like the others, you have to get it through one of the kosher phone retailers. The one near me sells all of the popular options, but the CAT is one of the approved phones through my sons yeshiva, and the retailer says it's the only one that's not breaking.

FWIW, the local retailer by me also won't put whatsapp on any kosher phone, he explained to us that there is no real way to filter whatsapp and anything can get through. His prediction is that TAB will soon stop approving phones with whatsapp.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:49 pm
Ridethewaves wrote:
I have a fig phone. It has texting, waze, weather, zmanim, notes. Texting is t9 or touch. Picture quality isn't as good as an iphone, but I have high standards- I think most people would be ok with it. Can't play any videos. I've definitely saved alot of time and I'm a better mother since I switched over.

Which fig phone do you have? Are there several types?

Hey123

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 1:57 pm
I gave up my smartphone 3 years ago, I've gone thru several different phones and the FIG ll is definitely my favorite.

Be proud of yourself!!

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:00 pm
Hey123 wrote:
I gave up my smartphone 3 years ago, I've gone thru several different phones and the FIG ll is definitely my favorite.

Be proud of yourself!!

I feel like the below is what I would love in my ideal phone. Most probably not an option but maybe can get a majority?

Maps
Some sort of Limited browser
Good camera/video camera
Picture text capabilities
Easy enough texting keyboard
Uber

amother
Vanilla  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:29 pm
I have the kyocera dura xv
Doesn't have everything you mentioned but a huge upside is that it's super strong.
I've had it for 4 years, dropped it millions of times and it's still going.

From what you listed it has
camera/video camera

If you live in Lakewood there's someone you can go to to put on apps for you.
Costs $30, get anything you want pretty much.

amother
Snowdrop  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 2:44 pm
SafeTelecom
No browser. Lots of preloaded apps in the app store. Waze, Gmail, shopping/banking (I think; I didn't opt for that option), Torah platforms, camera, lots more.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 3:07 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
Doesn't have everything you mentioned but a huge upside is that it's super strong.

camera/video camera

Is it a flip?
I don't live in lakewood but would go there

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 3:08 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
SafeTelecom
No browser. Lots of preloaded apps in the app store. Waze, Gmail, shopping/banking (I think; I didn't opt for that option), Torah platforms, camera, lots more.

Hows the typing/texting?

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 4:52 pm
Nokia. It has calls, text, calendar, calculator, alarm and date/time etc. No browser or shopping, banking etc. I love it, I go out and not busy on my phone all the time.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 4:55 pm
had the sunbeam orchid but I got it wet and they no longer make that one. I got the fig (there is regular and mini) and BH happy. definitely best quality I've seen from previous flip phones. Waze. davening app. weather. etc.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 4:55 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:

camera/video camera

Where can I get this phone?

amother
  Snowdrop  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 5:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hows the typing/texting?

OK for a phone keyboard.

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 8:38 pm
I have google pixel phone through safe telecom
No browser.. some apps avail (meaning u can get email/ uber/ music apps- 24/6, jewish music stream and whole bunch of others.. If you need an app you don't see on there you can ask customer service sometimes you can get it.
has a nice camera and very easy to text.. (Kinda looks like a smart phone but it's not in the sense that you can't have social media on it. no browser etc..
I guess it's a kosher smart phone kind of
also, super strong phone.. my kids have dropped it so many times and screen never cracked etc..

amother
Honey

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 8:43 pm
If you get the fig make sure to get a case and the warranty. It's a great phone and I'm very happy with mine but made pretty junky

amother
Tomato  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:02 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
Nokia. It has calls, text, calendar, calculator, alarm and date/time etc. No browser or shopping, banking etc. I love it, I go out and not busy on my phone all the time.

which Nokia? Does it have a full qwerty keyboard for texting?

cnc  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:04 pm
Sunbeam Orchid for over a year and very happy. Did not know that they no longer make it..

amother
  Tomato  

Post Thu, Aug 01 2024, 11:07 pm
amother Snowdrop wrote:
OK for a phone keyboard.

do you mean that it has a full qwerty keyboard? or just t9 on the phone keypad?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics