Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Kitchen Mavens: I need a Crash Course Quartz/Granite counter
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 10:54 pm
Kitchen Mavens: I need a Crash Course Quartz/Granite counter

Kitchen Mavens: I need a Crash Course explaining the pros and cons of Quartz/Granite counters.

I hear there's a type of Quartz thats as strong as Granite, and there are Quartzes that arent durable, and chip.

Can anyne offer whatever theyve learned about the pros and cons of Granite/Quartz, and which Quartz to consider and not consider?

Do the (Lakewood area) dealers always tell the truth about what theyre selling?

What advice would you offer someone looking for new counters, after either a good or bad experience, that left you satisfied or unhappy with the counter you chose?

If anyone had a very good experience with a dealer (or a bad one?) please save others heartache.

TIA

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 11:06 pm
following

Amarante  

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 11:13 pm
Quartz is a man made material.

Granite is a natural stone and comes in an almost infinite variety of patterns. The resiliency and resistance to staining varies as some are basically maintenance free and others are more easily stained and have to be sealed periodically.

I looked at quartz and I went to a few stone yards to look at granite slabs. I didn’t like the man made look of Quartz as it seemed a bit plasticine.

I got a granite called Black Galaxy which is maintenance free. I didn’t want a string patterned granite because I had a lot of other design elements. Black Galaxy is black with copper flecks and is very striking when the light is on at night. I have a lot of copper in my kitchen - copper sink, copper hood, copper ceiling and so the counter with the copper flecks shining complements the copper

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 11:16 pm
The counter seller told me the white quartz cleans easily and is low maintenance. That was a lie. Sad

amother
Scarlet  

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 11:32 pm
Granite is like a natural rock.

Quartz is natural rock gravel size pieces mixed with a resin like material and molded into counters.

Some people prefer granite. Some prefer quartz.

I have had both and I had the quartz stain & chip and would not get it again. But there are many brands. Ours was a name brand but don't recall which.

mompower

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 11:51 pm
Quartzite, not be confused with Quartz is the winner.

Indestructible and a natural stone so you get beauty and practicality. The down side is that it can be a bit expensive. Although you can find cheaper Taj Mahal Quartzite that’s beautiful.

Quartz isn’t as pretty because it isn’t a natural stone and can stain and chip.

Marble is gorgeous but not very practical.

Granite, but only a true granite can be very practical as well but most designs are super busy. You can find some that are beautiful but always get them from a reputable source that won’t try to sell you a stone that isn’t as durable as granite while still calling it granite.

Rubber Ducky  

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 11:55 pm
I am a kitchen designer in Baltimore.

Engineered quartz is more likely to chip than granite, and because of the resins, it can melt a bit (look blurry) if you you put a hot frying pan down on it. Use trivets.

Cambria is the best looking of the engineered quartzes, but my granite guy does not love it. He prefers granite and quartzite as far as durability.

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 11:56 pm
amother Oak wrote:
The counter seller told me the white quartz cleans easily and is low maintenance. That was a lie. Sad

I have speckled white quartz and I’ll attest to this. I wouldn’t get it.

amother
  Scarlet  

Post Sun, Jul 28 2024, 11:58 pm
Get samples of whatever you are considering. Take them home and test them for durability & staining.

amother
Butterscotch  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:28 am
We went with granite cuz I didn't like what I was hearing about quartz (and I can't remember why we stayed away from quartzite too, feel like I heard from people who were unhappy with it? I don't think it was just cuz of the price but maybe?)

The downside of granite is that most patterns are on the darker end. We wanted something in the white family and that's basically impossible. After searching for a while we ended up finding a super light gray with some darker gray streaking and we were thrilled, that's about the closest you're going to get to white with granite.

So far I'm really happy with it. We put down hot stuff on it, we cut on it, we spill on it. The only issue I've had is that on the inside rim of the sinks, where I suppose pots have been banging against it as we wash them, it's been chipping a bit. Also where it meets the oven, maybe the oven banged against it as it was installed? It chipped a tiny bit there. Overall though I feel it was an excellent choice and it makes me so happy to look at it every day.

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:35 am
amother Scarlet wrote:
Get samples of whatever you are considering. Take them home and test them for durability & staining.

Pour marinara sauce on samples
Wine too

Cut with a knife directly on them

Put a hot pot down on them

Please report back Smile

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:39 am
amother Mimosa wrote:
Pour marinara sauce on samples
Wine too

Cut with a knife directly on them

Put a hot pot down on them

Please report back Smile

You don’t want to cut directly in any hard sirface because it is terrible for a good knife.

Also it is possible to crack stone if you put a hot pot on it because it is cool. It doesn’t happen all the time but it is very possible so it is still good practice to use a trivet or other insulating pad. It won’t melt like formica or quartz but can crack.

FWIW the issue with quartzite is that it is often not actually quartzite which is sold but other stones. Authentic quartzite is very expensive but is very durable and looks like marble essentially but much more durable. There is a test for quartzite which you should use because you can’t trait sellers to be selling authentic quartzite.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 12:57 am
I have quartzite and it’s beautiful and very easy, doesn’t stain etc It was a splurge though.

hello12341

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 1:29 am
Slightly off topic, but to all those complaining that their white quartz stains... use magic eraser. It really works!

mamalooo

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 5:33 am
one more important thing to take into consideration is that granite can be kashered while processed stones have glue therefore most rabanim will not approve them to be kashered.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 8:37 am
I have granite countertops that are not really granite - they are more of a dolomite or marble. Instead of going for a shiny look, I went for a leathered finish, and I love it. I have them for 2 years already, and they show absolutely nothing. I put hot things down on it, I cut on it, I do everything, and they are so durable.

I also love the stony feel of leathered granite. I have no regrets.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 9:19 am
Chayalle wrote:
I have granite countertops that are not really granite - they are more of a dolomite or marble. Instead of going for a shiny look, I went for a leathered finish, and I love it. I have them for 2 years already, and they show absolutely nothing. I put hot things down on it, I cut on it, I do everything, and they are so durable.

I also love the stony feel of leathered granite. I have no regrets.

Sounds like you have marble or "soft quartzite." Marble etches — that means it loses its shine — from lemon juice and other acids. Soft quartzite is similar. By getting it leathered, it cannot lose its shine because it already has no shine. A honed surface would be similar but with less texture.

Stone is most likely to chip around the sink. That is a major advantage of farm sinks (aka apron front sinks) — there is no granite at the front of the sink. I have had 2 farm sinks with quartzite counters for over a year now, and no chips.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 11:49 am
mamalooo wrote:
one more important thing to take into consideration is that granite can be kashered while processed stones have glue therefore most rabanim will not approve them to be kashered.

Thats a biggie!

amother
  Scarlet

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 11:52 am
I never kasher because of the danger of scalding as well as ruining the cabinets & under flooring.

In theory, I'd love to. But practically speaking, I can't get myself to do it.

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 29 2024, 11:58 am
So if Im leaning towards granite, and I want to stay in the white/black/some gray color family, Im not finding anything with more contrast than these, in granite.

1- Has anyone seen a black and white granite with more contrast, bolder stripes?

2- With so much white, how is granite with stains?

Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries