Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cooking in a non kosher kitchen

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 11:32 am
What type of Kitchen aid / appliances are useful when you are away in a place without a kosher kitchen.
Looking for the best way to reheat mains and to cook side dishes & starchy (carbs) foods.

blank

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 11:38 am
Betty crocker

fleetwood

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 11:38 am
Electric burner,plug in grill,hot plate

amother
Leaf  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 11:39 am
I always kasher the oven and microwave

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 11:39 am
I dont know your budget but I like the instant pot with the air fryer lid. It can be a regular pot, a pressure cooker, you can air fry. Its a lot of features for one item to shlep.

tichellady

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 11:44 am
Rice cooker, kashering a stove and microwave is easy and double wrapping in the oven works

NotInNJMommy  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 11:49 am
I kasher microwave and oven if I can. I bring my Betty Crocker. Lots of foil/pans if I need to double wrap in the oven. Crockpot if I’m going to want to put something on for shabbos or say for dinner after an afternoon out—though if I’m somewhere I can get take out, we maximize that.

Obviously cutting board, knife, peeler, bottle/can opener. Bowl for salad or mixing things. (Or I just use a metal disposable pan). Flipper, serving spoon, etc.

And whatever you want for coffee. We use coffee makers per our rav but you do you. Also, we get iced coffee concentrate etc for shabbos since I don’t usually want to bring an urn.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 12:04 pm
I double bag for the microwave

And used a griddle to cook/warm up during the week and as a hot plate for shabbos

When we go by car I sometimes take along my small toaster

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 12:11 pm
sandwich toaster for lunch. George foreman for cooking meat for supper. (not essential, frying pan works too)

We kasher stovertop and just bring a couple of small pots/frying pans for milk and meat.

Double wrap anything to go in oven.

The only thing we can't do is make cakes or bread, so if you have toaster oven/air fryer you can bring that if you will want to bake.

amother
Anemone  

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 12:49 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
I always kasher the oven and microwave

Everyone should ask their own shela about Kashering tried appliances.
Not so clear cut depending on who you ask.

amother
  Leaf

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 1:07 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
Everyone should ask their own shela about Kashering tried appliances.
Not so clear cut depending on who you ask.

I’m not recommending others do it I’m
just saying what we do.

amother
  Anemone

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 1:24 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
I’m not recommending others do it I’m
just saying what we do.

...I didn't say you did recommend.

We don't warm only cook fresh. George foreman crock pot and grill cheese machine . Weve Have been told not to use microwave or oven in tried house. Stove top usually glass so gets nixed too

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 2:03 pm
Before we go on vacation, I prepare food and freeze it, some already cooked in foil pans and some raw in Ziplocs, depending on what it is. When we get to where we are staying, most of the food goes straight from the cooler back in the freezer, except what we need for that night and the next. I triple wrap the foil pans and heat the food in the treif oven. Some chicken or fish dishes I prepare ahead in a marinade and freeze raw and I pour it into a foil pan and cook fresh, also triple wrapped. We also bring a disposable grill to BBQ and just recently acquired a Betty Crocker.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 2:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
What type of Kitchen aid / appliances are useful when you are away in a place without a kosher kitchen.
Looking for the best way to reheat mains and to cook side dishes & starchy (carbs) foods.

I bring a set of 2 frying pans (find on Walmart for about $16) and 2 spatulas (from target or 99 cents store) to use on the stovetop. One for dairy and one for meat. (Clean stovetop kashers itself each time the fire turns on.) I throw out the pans before we leave.

We make scrambled eggs, omelettes, grilled cheese, toast.
Burgers, chicken cutlets, baby chicken, thin sandwich steak, hot dogs. Can serve these in buns with fresh sliced veggies and condiments.

Sides with boiling water; 5 minute rice, bulgar, Mediterranean couscous, ramen noodles, idahoan mashed potatoes,

I also like to bring along container of already cooked pasta that I can make into a fresh pasta salad, baked potato that can be made into potato salad, sometimes a ready corn salad.

Bring cans of baby corn, pickles, chickpeas. Drain there and add in diced red onion and halved grape tomatoes (season with mini bottle olive oil and s&p). Also can of corn niblets, can of pickles, add in diced onion and kirbies, squeeze of a lemon (and oil s&p).

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Jul 26 2024, 6:59 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
Before we go on vacation, I prepare food and freeze it, some already cooked in foil pans and some raw in Ziplocs, depending on what it is. When we get to where we are staying, most of the food goes straight from the cooler back in the freezer, except what we need for that night and the next. I triple wrap the foil pans and heat the food in the treif oven. Some chicken or fish dishes I prepare ahead in a marinade and freeze raw and I pour it into a foil pan and cook fresh, also triple wrapped. We also bring a disposable grill to BBQ and just recently acquired a Betty Crocker.

I absolutely do this (bring prepared, frozen food) if we’re only traveling a few hours max.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen