Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Naming for October 7 victims …
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:35 am
… or any other related name like Beeri.
Has it been done or would you do it as a more right wing couple?

Would you use this name even though it’s not usually done in your circles, because it’s a name of a tzadik/ah who had died as a kiddush Hashem?
Many of them had more modern names that are not usually done in yeshivish/chareidi circles.
Do you think it would make a difference if you were in IL or abroad? Would you assume it would be more acceptable to name „outside your circles“ in IL because people would relate to it more?

Asking because the tragedy is one of the reasons why I decided to have another child.

Ridethewaves

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:47 am
That's really moving. In chareidi circles, I think it's not usually advisable to name after someone that died in a tragedy unless they're family and then it's with an added name. It is a serious question for a rav and usually a gadol is the one that will give a psak.

salt  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:50 am
Of course it's been done. Beeri. Nir Oz. etc.
And names of fallen soldiers or civilians.

I wouldn't give a name to way out for my circles, unless the person I was naming after was a family member or someone I had a specific connection with, and that was the reason I was naming for him.
Then I might go out of my comfort zone.

If you are looking to name after some who died al kiddush hashem, unfortunately there have been so many killed over the last 9 months, you are bound to find a name you like.

There are also names like Menachem, Geula, Amichai, Nechama - which can be given for the current situation in Am Yisrael.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:51 am
Ridethewaves wrote:
That's really moving. In chareidi circles, I think it's not usually advisable to name after someone that died in a tragedy unless they're family and then it's with an added name. It is a serious question for a rav and usually a gadol is the one that will give a psak.

I once consulted a Rav about naming about my predecessor who was killed in a pogrom and I was told, we don’t need to add a name if we name for a tzaddik. I ended up adding to honor another relative too.

Anyway I would add a name anyway and will also try to talk to a gadol.

LovesHashem  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:51 am
Most people in yeshivish/chareidi circles I know will only name a name from tanach or that has a mesorah to it.

Most rabbanim will say not to name most of these names, regardless of October 7th.

I feel like many of these names are beuaitful but we follow our daas Torah.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:55 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Most people in yeshivish/chareidi circles I know will only name a name from tanach or that has a mesorah to it.

Most rabbanim will say not to name most of these names, regardless of October 7th.

I feel like many of these names are beuaitful but we follow our daas Torah.

Okay I have gone over the list of victims and there are many many who have names from Tanach or accepted in right wing circles.

So I guess I don’t need to choose the most modern one.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 3:56 am
salt wrote:

I wouldn't give a name to way out for my circles, unless the person I was naming after was a family member or someone I had a specific connection with, and that was the reason I was naming for him.

If you are looking to name after some who died al kiddush hashem, unfortunately there have been so many killed over the last 9 months, you are bound to find a name you like.

There are also names like Menachem, Geula, Amichai, Nechama - which can be given for the current situation in Am Yisrael.

Yeah, I have been thinking about the names like Nechama, just to honor the occasion.
I just don’t think I have been consoled, at least as long as the war is not over.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 4:01 am
Many of the names of those who died or related to the locations do stem from tanach. It is definitely appropriate to name after them. Just like you might name after someone who died in the Holocaust even if they weren't a relative, or some one historical (post-Tanach or even more modern times) who died al kiddush Hashem even if it wasn't a relative.

Also, Beeri is from Tanach (10 points to anyone who knows who he is without looking it up).

My cousin was killed fighting against terrorists and in Aza trying to rescue hostages, and protect all of am yisrael, including the chareidim. He was a 19 year old religious boy, he purposely was at the front of his team in order to do what he could and so he died while many behind him did not. He was a tzaddik. Would a Rav seriously say not to name after him, even if he wasn't your cousin? And if you don't feel comfortable with the name or because he died tragically and young or because it is not a name used in your circles, a name can be added, or you can do a name from the same shoresh etc. Our mesorah is important, that is why honoring those who died to protect it and to protect you is so important.

(Please be sensitive in your responses, there are people here including me who lost relatives on Oct 7 or in the aftermath).

amother
Sand

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 4:08 am
I would only use a name I would have used otherwise. But I do think naming something relevant and still suitable is a very special idea.

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 4:11 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
Many of the names of those who died or related to the locations do stem from tanach. It is definitely appropriate to name after them. Just like you might name after someone who died in the Holocaust even if they weren't a relative, or some one historical (post-Tanach or even more modern times) who died al kiddush Hashem even if it wasn't a relative.

Also, Beeri is from Tanach (10 points to anyone who knows who he is without looking it up).

My cousin was killed fighting against terrorists and in Aza trying to rescue hostages, and protect all of am yisrael, including the chareidim. He was a 19 year old religious boy, he purposely was at the front of his team in order to do what he could and so he died while many behind him did not. He was a tzaddik. Would a Rav seriously say not to name after him, even if he wasn't your cousin? And if you don't feel comfortable with the name or because he died tragically and young or because it is not a name used in your circles, a name can be added, or you can do a name from the same shoresh etc. Our mesorah is important, that is why honoring those who died to protect it and to protect you is so important.

(Please be sensitive in your responses, there are people here including me who lost relatives on Oct 7 or in the aftermath).

I am asking more for my dh, he usually likes to stay in his lane . He also has zero ideas for names unless it’s his family name. Also, we are considering aliya, so I want to fit in.
I wouldn’t hesitate to use a name I want.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 4:20 am
From what I've seen people are definitely told there's no issues to name after family members, even a name that's not accepted in their circles so much.

I didn't know Beeri was a name from the Tanach. I lots of the names I've seen, Israeli modern names are in the tanach but not neccesarily as names (many definitely are and many aren't) . Off the top of my head names like Omer, Arbel, Oz, etc.

Personally OP I'm definitely in the same space as you. Its been something on my mind for a while, that with my next child I feel like I need to send a message in a way, and name something deeply connected to October 7th, the land of Israel, or something that signifies Am Yisroel.....

amother
  OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 4:22 am
Ridethewaves wrote:

It’s not just a tragedy. Those who died for being Jews are named after.

salt  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 5:08 am

ok I'm not looking it up - is it Yirmiyahu or Yishayahu's father, something like that?

(now I'll look it up to see if I was right...)

salt  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 5:09 am
Plenty of traditional names here.
https://noflim.org.il/

amother
Banana

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 5:16 am
OP same here I very badly want to name after a hero from October 7. I’m not pregnant at the moment as far as I know, so we’ll cross the bridge when I get there as far as DH cuz I doubt he’ll be on board…

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 5:20 am
OP That is such a special idea you have. may you have Hatzlocha.
There are also our soldiers who passed away Al Kiddush Hashem. Yeshiva names you might be comfortable with.

salt

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 5:29 am
salt wrote:

I wouldn't give a name too way out for my circles, unless the person I was naming after was a family member or someone I had a specific connection with, and that was the reason I was naming for him.

Miranda Wright

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 5:29 am

Without looking it up I feel like it's someone's father's name? Something ben Beeri
edit: I was right lol

PinkFridge  

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 8:45 am
salt wrote:

There are also names like Menachem, Geula, Amichai, Nechama - which can be given for the current situation in Am Yisrael

This might be best.
And maybe, instead, making some small regular contribution to a related fund.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 25 2024, 8:46 am
amother OP wrote:
Yeah, I have been thinking about the names like Nechama, just to honor the occasion.
I just don’t think I have been consoled, at least as long as the war is not over.

It's aspirational.
And maybe, sometimes we can tap into the truth that one day we will have great clarity.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names