Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The crazy things we do cuz we don't have money
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 10:31 am
We all have our priorities, yet we all have the ways we "save". Share yours.

I wear stockings with runs in them. Until it's embarrassing Can't Believe It

I wash my bedikah cloths and re-use them. Seriously, how much is a PKG of cloths? But it makes sense in my head cuz then I don't have to buy more.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 10:33 am
I go to 7 different shops because the oil is cheaper by 2 shekel in the other place, and lettuce is cheaper in another place….

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 10:39 am
I do as much homemade as possible.
My kids are picky and hard eaters so I try to cater to everyone. Once every 2 weeks I splurge on frozen pizza. (W a GF kid at 12.99 a pizza it's a splurge! She only ears 1/3-1/2 a personal pie. So it's $6.50 but still! There is also other food. She won't just fill up on that)

I walk as much as possible not to have to take taxis. And I live in suburbia.
We have one car and dh needs it for work.
Even if I took taxis, (which are impossible to get!) It would he cheaper than a second car.

I do mending on last years clothes making them fit another season.

I sew / diy expensive items like linen sets.
I don't sleep comfy in the cheaper options the fabric is not comfortable. So I sew rather than spend $500 +. I spend $200 on fabric and sew it myself.

Stuff like that.

I shop in 3 stores to get best prices.
1 store I do non perishables once a month. The other once every 2 weeks and then the local grocery store for the rest 2x a week for produce.

And then with the saved money I send my kid on an expensive day trip one neighborhood mom arranged and every single kid in her age range in the neighborhood is going on... so is she. Bh she gets to enjoy it!!!

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 10:45 am
We live in a suburban area with no car. We take public transportation to work.

Then I get to spend on fun things like groceries to my door because I have no car.

I also sometimes use cabs or cheap rentals.

All this is waaaay cheaper than owning and maintaining a car.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 10:48 am
amother DarkViolet wrote:
We live in a suburban area with no car. We take public transportation to work.

Then I get to spend on fun things like groceries to my door because I have no car.

I also sometimes use cabs or cheap rentals.

All this is waaaay cheaper than owning and maintaining a car.

This is exactly my point. We own a mini van even though neither husband nor I use it for work. This is one luxury I really feel Im not ready to give up. Just because. Yet I'm wearing torn stockings 🙄.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 10:51 am
Growing up, we used to wear plastic bags on top of our socks to turn our regular boots into rain boots.

amother
Carnation  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 11:05 am
I sew up runs in my tights

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 11:46 am
I do lots of homemade. Take my kids to the park. Wash my Sheitel myself, don’t buy new clothes. Just do my best and daven that I’ll finish school and get a good job.

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 11:51 am
amother Carnation wrote:
I sew up runs in my tights

You must wear heavier than me. I wear 12 denier every day, can't really sew that up. But if I catch it when it's really low, I'll put nail polish on it to stop it for running more.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 11:53 am
I got a minivan that was stripped, that didn't even have electric sliding doors, to save $15 a month.
This was back in the days when minivans were a lot cheaper and you could lease a Honda for 230 bucks a month.

amother
  Carnation  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
You must wear heavier than me. I wear 12 denier every day, can't really sew that up. But if I catch it when it's really low, I'll put nail polish on it to stop it for running more.

I wear 60 denier

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:03 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
I wear 60 denier

In the winter I wear 90 denier black tights, those definitely sew when they get a hole. Those don't really run, usually holes from being so worn out.

amother
Lilac  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:09 pm
I buy 20 year old cars for $5k or less and run them into the ground.

I drive an hour each way from my OOT neighborhood to stock up at a cheaper in town store.

amother
Tomato  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:10 pm
amother OP wrote:

I wear thicker tights because it’s less likely to get holes. I wear discolored socks. I bought knee highs that fall down and didn’t throw it out. And I’m not even that poor. It’s a mindset

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:16 pm
Leftover from harder days:

We gift each other stones. When we're somewhere interesting, or see a nice rock, or just to say I love you, we pick up a rock and bring it home to tell the story to the other spouse. We have quite a rock collection by now!

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:29 pm
Rappel wrote:
Leftover from harder days:

We gift each other stones. When we're somewhere interesting, or see a nice rock, or just to say I love you, we pick up a rock and bring it home to tell the story to the other spouse. We have quite a rock collection by now!

You should start a hobby of painting stones. Might make for an interesting collection.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:37 pm
I challenge myself every week to see if I can light all my Shabbos candles with a single match embarrassed

amother
Topaz  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:42 pm
I'm loving gifting stones.

Things I used to do/still do
Obviously nail varnish tights.
Sew up clothes
Water down all handwash/washing up liquid.
Freeze veg going off and then use for soup
Have a month of eating out the freezer
Only shop 1 x /week and make do the rest of the week
Black coffee for adults, milk only for children
No cheese
Cold showers to save on heating
Extra layers to save heating bills
Turn off lights as you walk out each room
Hang out in the mall in summer as cooler/aircon, make 1 coffee last 3 hours, charge laptop in a coffee shop for free
No bottled water, no prechecked salad, no precut veg, no takeout, no eating out, save coupons for trips
So many more

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:43 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
I buy 20 year old cars for $5k or less and run them into the ground.

I drive an hour each way from my OOT neighborhood to stock up at a cheaper in town store.

Is it worth the cost of gas?

Trademark  

Post Sun, Jul 21 2024, 12:47 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
I wear thicker tights because it’s less likely to get holes. I wear discolored socks. I bought knee highs that fall down and didn’t throw it out. And I’m not even that poor. It’s a mindset

This is such an unhealthy mindset.

Socks cost a few dollars and for heaven's sake just throw out useless knee highs.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics