Forum -> The Social Scene
Would you drive though this?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 12:37 pm
Looking to show my DD what Circle Roundabout look like I found this:

I freaked out when seeing it.
Then I was thinking if I lived there I would be used to it and probably dive through it on a regular basses.
Visiting the town I would try to avoid it or get someone else to drive my car though it.

Would this be something that you would want to drive through?

amother
Dustypink  

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 12:49 pm
Try driving through the arc de triumph in Paris, I've seen it and don't know how they do it there.
I find the roundabout by Bear Mountain Bridge in "upstate" New York also quiete busy and can be scary.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 12:50 pm
I've driven through those. They aren't fun and are confusing, but it's less scary than it seems.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 12:53 pm
The first time I ever saw a round about was here in Israel. I had no idea what I was supposed to do. It was terrifying. Now, 21 plus years later, I love round abouts. They help the traffic move and flow without having to stop for traffic lights. And it just all flows better. Im sure the first time someone drives through that it may be a little bit nerve wracking, but after that, Im sure its actually a breeze.

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 12:54 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
Try driving through the arc de triumph in Paris, I've seen it and don't know how they do it there.
I find the roundabout by Bear Mountain Bridge in "upstate" New York also quiete busy and can be scary.

When using the 6 you have to go through that. We just did that last Friday and Sunday

amother
  OP  

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 1:01 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:

Found a video of it for those who are interested

amother
  Dustypink  

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 1:15 pm
amother Steel wrote:
When using the 6 you have to go through that. We just did that last Friday and Sunday

Right, I did it twice in a month lol and you need to cross so many lanes..

amother
Charcoal

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 1:17 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:

We drive through that circle often. Though it can be confusing, you get used to it. I don't look at it as scary.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 1:24 pm
I’d be terrified to drive through. I’ve hardly ever seen or used a roundabout.

My first road test was in another town than I live and I had to go through a roundabout, guess what I failed, I had to make a left and so I went left instead of going right and going around. Unfortunately for me or maybe fortunately since there was no traffic I didn’t realize what it was and didn’t know what I was doing wrong. The instructor was so freaked out he didn’t even explain to me what I was doing wrong, so I couldn’t understand what he wanted from me and why I failed.

shabbatiscoming  

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 1:30 pm

amother
  Dustypink

Post Thu, Jul 18 2024, 2:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Found a video of it for those who are interested

This doesn't even show half of it..
But yes, it's crazy and no lanes

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:29 am
Thank you shabbatiscoming for that clip it was very funny

I tried finding a video of the Bear Mountain Bridge roundabout and could not find one

I did find this it's a town in the US that has 150 or so roundabouts

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 12:56 am
I hate roundabouts. I lose my bearing very quickly, end up in the wrong lane, am never sure if I am at the right street or not. It's much easier to turn left or right than to try to count turnoffs for the "second exit" or read street names while trying to stay in the correct lane and go at the right speed.

I don't have a choice so I do it but I hate them. The one at Grand Army Plaza (Brooklyn) always makes me crazy. No matter how many times I drive there I'm always in the wrong lane.

cnc

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 2:20 am
I've driven through a couple of them but what exactly is the purpose of them?

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 5:35 am
That you don't stop
By an intersection you have to stop at the light, then go. By a roundabout you keep moving. It is also suppose to reduce accidents because there is no left turn.

----------------------

I looked up Grand Army Plaza (Brooklyn) and a few places said that it's like arc de triumph in Paris, not sure if they are talking about the Arch or the traffic
This is the best video that I got.

amother
Mimosa

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 7:31 am
In the UK large roundabouts are very common. I had a difficult one near my house when I was learning to drive which wasn't fun. Later they installed lights at various points.

You do get used to roundabouts.

singleagain  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 7:35 am
Roundabouts are actually safer and help ease traffic. I recently came across this YouTube channel that explains all sorts of road and intersection types and how to improve bad ones. Rounds about a especially help with really large and unwieldy multiple road intersections like this

shabbatiscoming  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 7:49 am
cnc wrote:
I've driven through a couple of them but what exactly is the purpose of them?
The purpose is that they are much safer and there are no full stops. People slow down as they are entering one, but unless there is insane traffic IN the circle, you can keep moving.
And most important, they are much safer than traffic lights.

amother
Puce  

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 8:01 am
I never heard of a roundabout until a few years ago when we were driving in Israel and Waze announced- at the roundabout… I remember saying out loud- what’s a roundabout?
Seems they are very common in Israel and other countries.
When I came back to America I wondered why there are no roundabouts in New Jersey.
You get used to it after a while.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Jul 22 2024, 8:02 am
No
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics