Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Why isn’t baby wearing like keeping kid in container?

amother
OP  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 7:58 pm
I’m always reading how baby shouldn’t be in swings or seats, it’s bad for development etc. However baby wearing is the gold standard as far as “containing” child. Just wondering why that’s not detrimental for them? I understand the connection it creates etc, I’m asking from a physical point of view.

amother
Chestnut  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m always reading how baby shouldn’t be in swings or seats, it’s bad for development etc. However baby wearing is the gold standard as far as “containing” child. Just wondering why that’s not detrimental for them? I understand the connection it creates etc, I’m asking from a physical point of view.

In a way it actually is, especially if it’s all day. Babies need to be on the floor too! But it’s better than being on their backs in a car seat. Atleast with a baby carrier for a newborn they’re facing you so they’re head isn’t laying flat

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:08 pm
I’m not an OT just an experienced wearing mom; I don’t know anyone who’s capable of baby wearing (physically) for as many hours as they can keep baby in swing/bouncer/mamaroo. For most moms it’s not babywear vs put down, it’s babywear vs hold , so all babywearing does is free up their hands.

amother
Salmon  

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:10 pm
I know people who baby wear most of the day. So I don’t think that’s it. It is a good question.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:12 pm
Babywearing helps baby develop head and neck control and core muscles. It actually counts as tummy time! Also, being close to your body is great for their nervous system overall and a healthy nervous system is good for overall development, which includes motor skills.

amother
  OP

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:13 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Babywearing helps baby develop head and neck control and core muscles. It actually counts as tummy time! Also, being close to your body is great for their nervous system overall and a healthy nervous system is good for overall development, which includes motor skills.

See this is what I wanted to know. It’s really considered tummy time? So interesting

amother
  Salmon

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:16 pm
But why is it not bad for the hip and spine. It doesn’t look so great that baby can’t move most of their body.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:17 pm
I read it's like a gentle Pilates for the baby. They need to keep moving to accommodate the mom's movement.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:19 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
But why is it not bad for the hip and spine. It doesn’t look so great that baby can’t move most of their body.

That’s why certain hip positions while carrying are recommended.

amother
  Chestnut

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
See this is what I wanted to know. It’s really considered tummy time? So interesting

It shouldn’t be in replace of actual tummy time. Meaning it definitely does count to an extent. Just like if a baby is sleeping on your chest that’s also counts. But a baby should also be on the floor it’s super important (I’m also an Ot)
But obviously when baby is awake at home, it’s great for baby to be out during the wake window on the floor for a bit! Nothing wrong with doing every nap in the carrier, as long as hips are positioned correctly. But I don’t think they should be in the carrier post nap just chilling in it if they’re at home. In a public setting that’s different obviously bc can’t always put baby down.

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Jul 16 2024, 8:29 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
You need to use a recommended baby carrier that is designed to avoid hip dysplasia. Very important.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 17 2024, 10:03 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
You need to use a recommended baby carrier that is designed to avoid hip dysplasia. Very important.

Which carriers are recommended? Is there a list?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics