Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
10 month old hitting,pinching, biting

amother
OP  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 3:11 pm
Iv been recently going to mommy and me classes with My 10 month old and she gets so excited to see other babies she crawls over to say hi but I guess in her excitement she will hit their face or pinch their leg or reach down and try to bite them.
I don’t think she’s doing this to be mean. I think she is just excited and happy to be with other babies (I’m home with her and she’s my first so she’s not in daycare)
But I am not sure if this is normal behavior, should I be taking her away from the other babies?
How do I teach her to be gentle and not hurt them.
I always feel terrible, and spend majority of the time trying to pull her away so she doesn’t hurt the other babies.

amother
Crystal

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 3:47 pm
As the first time mother of a 10 month old myself (so take this with a grain of salt) I think the most you can do is say things like "we use gentle hands with our friends" and show her how to be gentle through modeling. And then also redirect.

But it definitely makes sense that she's super curious about other babies! She's using her senses to try and figure them out as best she can.

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 4:44 pm
My now almost 2yo dd also did this at that age, she also often pinches me and bites me.
With the pinching or smacking I would tell no smacking only make nice and gentle and move her hand into a stroking motion and it seemed to have helped eventually. A few months ago she was getting excited and started pinching she suddenly remembered and started gentle stroking me instead since then it's not been an issue.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 4:45 pm
As amother Crystal said, show and tell her every single time how to be gentle, eventually she’ll get the message.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 4:48 pm
So normal just redirect and teach gentle touch I say “make nice”

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 5:40 pm
Agree with previous poster
"We use gentle hands with our friends" is not a sentence that a child this young can comprehend. Stick to 1 word, while modeling. Also try to prevent it in the first place by redirecting.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 8:33 pm
Thanks everyone. Will try this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics