Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Need idea for boy's name

amother
OP  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 1:27 pm
Be"H we are due in Elul. My husband would like to name a boy "After his father". His father was a "righteous gentile"--was always very supportive of my husband who became a baal teshuva, was so proud of him becoming a rabbi and never ever gave us a hard time about being frum, but he had a non-kosher Conservative conversion (was never shomer shabbos) his "Hebrew name" was Asher Chaim. His life was actually very difficult so hard to call it a "mazel-dik name", it has no halachic bearing. I personally have never liked the name "Asher"--I don't have many names that I don't like and that is one of them, I didn't think he would be "gone so soon" that this would become an issue. Chaim rhymes with our last name in a weird way and my husband agrees that it wouldn't be nice to do that our kid. (My FIL never really used his name, so he probably didn't realize it). He was a very nice and helpful person, loved his grandkids, helped us when we were in kollel and needed financial and substantive support due to some misfortune.

Need ideas.

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 2:08 pm
That's tough.
Can you take the meaning of Asher-happiness and use Simcha?
Meir Simcha is a very common name and is also after a great man.

Of course depends on what type you classify as there are other options.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 2:27 pm
1) add something to the name, especially since he wasn’t Jewish and had a rough life, and call him the addition
Baruch Asher Chaim
Simcha Asher Chaim
Meir Asher Chaim
Something with a good meaning, or just something you like , whatever
2) name him after a trait your FIL exhibited.
3) name him after a righteous gentile in the Torah, Eliezer comes to mind

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 2:31 pm
Presumably your FIL had a name in another language before he converted? Can you translate it into Hebrew?

zebra111

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 2:59 pm
What about an 'avi' name? Avichai, aviad, avidan (fits into elul time too!), aviel etc etc
A name I heard for a father who passed away was 'betzalel avichai'

amother
  OP  

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 5:50 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Presumably your FIL had a name in another language before he converted? Can you translate it into Hebrew?

It was Christopher--so no not really.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 3:26 am
amother OP wrote:

I know someone who use Ofer from Christopher, just removed you-know-who's name and voila Smile

amother
Linen  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 4:03 am
Avraham, the first Ger?

FiL sounds like a great man, but what good trait stands out most?

Pleasantness? Noam

Being very succesful in the outside world without letting it corrupt him? Daniel

Etc

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 5:10 am
I know a few men and boys named Aba. It's unusual. Personally, I quite like it. Maybe that's an option?

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 5:40 am
How about simply naming him Abba

WhatFor

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 6:27 am
You can also give a name to commemorate his strongest qualities that you'd like your son to emulate.

Like Natan or Nosson (depending on your community) means to give, and he seemed to be very generous.

Zevulun supported Yissachar in learning.

Aharon was known for running after shalom (or Shalom is its own name), if you think that's a middah that represents him.

And so on. If you're interested in that idea, you can tell us what middah you're thinking of and we can try to give you names connected to that.

imaima  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 6:44 am
amother OP wrote:
Be"H we are due in Elul. My husband would like to name a boy "After his father". His father was a "righteous gentile"--was always very supportive of my husband who became a baal teshuva, was so proud of him becoming a rabbi and never ever gave us a hard time about being frum, but he had a non-kosher Conservative conversion (was never shomer shabbos) his "Hebrew name" was Asher Chaim. His life was actually very difficult so hard to call it a "mazel-dik name", it has no halachic bearing. I personally have never liked the name "Asher"--I don't have many names that I don't like and that is one of them, I didn't think he would be "gone so soon" that this would become an issue. Chaim rhymes with our last name in a weird way and my husband agrees that it wouldn't be nice to do that our kid. (My FIL never really used his name, so he probably didn't realize it). He was a very nice and helpful person, loved his grandkids, helped us when we were in kollel and needed financial and substantive support due to some misfortune.

Need ideas.

How about just Avichai? „My dad is alive“.
And there is a chai in it…

Last edited by imaima on Mon, Jul 15 2024, 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total

imaima

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 6:45 am
amother Marigold wrote:
I know someone who use Ofer from Christopher, just removed you-know-who's name and voila Smile

This is so smart!

amother
Snowflake  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 7:55 am
amother Aster wrote:
I know a few men and boys named Aba. It's unusual. Personally, I quite like it. Maybe that's an option?

I would then probably go instead with Avimelech. Not a common name, but calling him Avi makes it really normal.

amother
  Snowflake

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 7:58 am
I personally like naming after a trait he exemplified.

Think about it. Why are you naming it after him? His English name is not something you would use. His Hebrew name was never used and probably doesn't mean much. You want to name after who he is. The goodness that comes to mind when you think of him. So if he was a generous person, pick a name that reflects that. If he was a happy person, go with Simcha, etc. His positive traits that he passed on to your husband are his legacy.

If no specific trait comes to mind, sitting down with your husband and thinking about it could be a very meaningful exercise.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 8:08 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
I would then probably go instead with Avimelech. Not a common name, but calling him Avi makes it really normal.
that's not such a great name

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 9:22 am
amother Marigold wrote:

And it's so great because if you remove it in greek it's also someone who carries and he helped /carried your husband's life

amother
  OP  

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 11:00 am
amother Starflower wrote:
How about simply naming him Abba

My husband goes by Abba, and that was his own choice, his father was "Dad" so that wouldn't work.

amother
  OP

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 11:02 am
imaima wrote:
This is so smart!

Interesting, my husband isn't into "weird names" and that name might be considered "weird" where we live/not our style. Besides he mostly went by Chris.

amother
  Linen

Post Mon, Jul 15 2024, 11:44 am
amother OP wrote:

So name him Yeshua, it's a good Hebrew name 😉
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names