Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
I’m a Malka girl!

amother
OP  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 8:46 pm
Reading all these threads on Camp Malka is so hard…I’m so curious why they sold their property which led to all of this happening…
I just want to put it out there- I’m in my early 20s. I went to Malka for years, both as a camper and staff. I had the best summers ever! It was so well organized, great program and ruach, the food was great….really loved it all.
Not sure what will happen going forward, but I would hate to let this bad summer ruin my awesome camp! For those who can’t believe it, it really is great:)

amother
Taupe  

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 8:48 pm
Same!! I was there from the first year they opened and have the best memories!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 8:54 pm
Same it was the most organized camp ever and was amazing I’m so sad to see it end this way. But they messed up big time, I have two nieces there and the situation is not ok on any level. Girls are missing luggage , terrible communication with parents , and sad tired girls

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 8:58 pm
I’ve sent to malka in the past and I’ve been thrilled. My daughter was there this year and what went on was inexcusable. As a mother I would never send back to a camp that can treat girls with neglect like this. Im sorry but unless it’s sold to new owners it should not be operating any more. As a grown up you should understand that children’s safety comes before warm and fuzzy feelings.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jul 11 2024, 9:23 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
Same!! I was there from the first year they opened and have the best memories!

Same!

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 6:16 am
My daughter was planning to fo to camp Malka next year. I have to say that in an emergency times is when you see a school or camps (or persons) true colors. It's possible that all camps would have done the exact same thing had the been in this situation. Let this be a lesson for camps to set up new policies and protocols. updated communication systems. They say "comomon sense is not so common." It's hard for people to forgive the camps lack of good judgment.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 6:45 am
Op, Can you explain what you mean they sold a property and that caused this? Was this their first year on a new campsite?

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 6:51 am
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
Op, Can you explain what you mean they sold a property and that caused this? Was this their first year on a new campsite?

Yes

amother
Acacia  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 1:40 pm
New ownership this year?

amother
  Taupe  

Post Fri, Jul 12 2024, 2:02 pm
Was anyone there during hurricane Irene?

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 10:21 am
I'm also a Malka girl! I went there for at least 6 years as both camper and staff. They were the most incredible summers of my life, and they really changed me as a person.
The place is well-run, the people in charge have yiras shamayim and care very deeply about the welfare of the campers.

I'm just appalled by the quick reactions of people who just hear something and go on a rant bashing and slandering people.
Let's see all of you try to handle this situation and do a better job. Have any of the bad-mouthers ever heard of ratzon Hashem or perhaps the new-fangled idea that Hashem is in control of the world, not people??
Just putting it out there...
Yes, I have a close relative who was sent home and is perfectly intact emotionally and physically, just pretty disappointed. Why can't people just be resilient?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 10:25 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:
I'm also a Malka girl! I went there for at least 6 years as both camper and staff. They were the most incredible summers of my life, and they really changed me as a person.
The place is well-run, the people in charge have yiras shamayim and care very deeply about the welfare of the campers.

I'm just appalled by the quick reactions of people who just hear something and go on a rant bashing and slandering people.
Let's see all of you try to handle this situation and do a better job. Have any of the bad-mouthers ever heard of ratzon Hashem or perhaps the new-fangled idea that Hashem is in control of the world, not people??
Yes, I have a close relative who was sent home and is perfectly intact emotionally and physically, just pretty disappointed. Why can't people just be resilient?

You can be resilient and still angry at how it all went down. It isn't a mutually exclusive situation.

amother
  Taupe

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 10:43 am
amother Whitesmoke wrote:

I agree 100%
My sister is there now (CIT) and having a blast! Not traumatized at all.

amother
  Acacia

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 12:32 pm
And what is happening to the rest of the girls that were sent home? Are they having a camp in another location for them?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 12:37 pm
Another former Malka parent. Also, I worked there as married staff a few years. My girls are now too old for camp. But they have the best memories.
Camp was the highlight of my girl's years. They absolutely loved camp, and claim that they have the most incredible special married staff.
Mrs Bajnon and Mrs Openheimer, and Mrs Brecher are iconic and so beloved. I have seriously never heard anyone have a bad word to say about this camp before.

I am truly sad for what happened here. An amazing camp that worked hard to build a great reputation is now in a terrible matzav.
I feel sorry for all involved.

Thank you for starting this thread, OP.

amother
  OP

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 2:47 pm
I guess Malka’s days are over. But yes, I was there when Mrs. Oppenheimer was. We had the funnest time…Motzei Shabbos Nechama dancing, being OD, the bunkhouses were comfortable and the food was good, Shabbos morning iced coffee, golf carts…so many memories.

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Jul 14 2024, 2:55 pm
Why did they sell their camp last year?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps