Home
    Private Messages   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is this a normal amount of independent play?
1  2  Next

amother
OP  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 8:35 pm
It's been a few years since I had a baby.
She's 5 months old.

First thing in the morning, I can usually count on her playing happily on the floor for 15-20 minutes. Throughout the day, right after a nap or a feed I might be able to get another 5 minutes out of her (maybe).

The rest of the time, either I am down on the floor playing with her or I'm holding her.

Remind me, is this normal at this age? And if it is howwwww does anyone get anything done??

amother
Bellflower  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 8:37 pm
get stuff done during naps. or get a bouncy seat like baby bjorn bouncer so she can bounce while she watches you cook/fold laundry etc.

amother
Crocus

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 8:39 pm
I use a baby carrier

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 8:44 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
get stuff done during naps. or get a bouncy seat like baby bjorn bouncer so she can bounce while she watches you cook/fold laundry etc.

She naps 2x a day for one hour each. After 3 hours of holding/playing with her I really need to use naptime to sit on the couch and have a bit of a break.

I use the bouncer here and there, but she doesn't last too long in there either.

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 8:45 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
I use a baby carrier

She hates baby carriers (I've tried 4)

amother
Pansy

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 8:46 pm
She sounds like a high needs baby

amother
  Bellflower  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 8:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
She naps 2x a day for one hour each. After 3 hours of holding/playing with her I really need to use naptime to sit on the couch and have a bit of a break.

I use the bouncer here and there, but she doesn't last too long in there either.

sounds likes she doesn’t nap not nearly enough. maybe she’s overtired and this kvetch? babies this age typically have 3 naps minimum

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 9:16 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
She sounds like a high needs baby

I don't see her that way but you're saying this isn't normal? (The amount of independent play)

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 9:24 pm
My baby is 6 months, but this is her normal for at least a month- naps after being awake for about an hour or two. Plays in her bouncer or stationary seat for 20 minutes or so a few times a day. Plays on playmat for 5-10 minutes, usually by herself, occasionally with me or toddler. She's held in between by myself or siblings for a few minutes here or there, as needed.
Definitely not much playtime with me- but I think that I'm not "correct" with what I do. But BH it works ok here.

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 9:26 pm
amother OP wrote:

How's your nap schedule? My baby is over a year and does 2 naps at 1-1.5 hours each. She should be doing way more.

amother
  OP  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 9:29 pm
sounds likes she doesn’t nap not nearly enough. maybe she’s overtired and this kvetch? babies this age typically have 3 naps minimum

The drop to 2 naps is recent and because she started refusing her 3rd nap. I've experimented with giving her more sleep and it always results in being up in the middle of the night. She may be low sleep needs but I don't think she's overtired.

P.S. Total nap sleep can be up to 2.5 hours depending on the day but more than that and we have split nights.

the world's best mom

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 9:30 pm
It sounds normal to me.

amother
Crimson  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 9:41 pm
Disagree with those saying she needs longer naps. My daughter never did more than 45 min at a time. She’s a year now and still can’t play independently very long. It’s very normal

amother
  Bellflower

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 9:44 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
Disagree with those saying she needs longer naps. My daughter never did more than 45 min at a time. She’s a year now and still can’t play independently very long. It’s very normal

your baby is over an year and still doesn’t nap for longer than 45 minutes at a time?

amother
Marigold

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 9:56 pm
My baby is now 20 months old and never in his life did he have a quiet playful even 10 min!
His sleep has always been difficult too. We sleep trained him at a year- so now at least we have 11 hours at night. (If He wakes up, something is bothering) Naps are another story.
He's been having very frequent ear infections, we are putting in tubes, well see if that helps.
I just started sending him out to a playgroup and it's amazing to see that he learnt that toys are meant to be played with. He still won't go out of the room I'm in, and prefers I sit on the floor to play with him. But if he's in a good mood, he'll play on his own for like 3 min. I guess some kids are just easier than others.

Rappel

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 10:03 pm
Yes. 5 minutes max, until they're old enough to get up and pull everything out of the kitchen drawer next to you

amother
  Crimson  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 10:28 pm
your baby is over an year and still doesn’t nap for longer than 45 minutes at a time?

Yup, 45 min twice a day. Rare occasions it’ll be an hour. Pediatrician say as it’s completely normal as long as she’s sleeping enough at night.

imaima  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 10:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't see her that way but you're saying this isn't normal? (The amount of independent play)

I don’t know what you call independent play at this age…

imaima  

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 10:57 pm
amother Crimson wrote:

No it’s not

amother
Nectarine

Post Sat, Jul 06 2024, 11:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's been a few years since I had a baby.
She's 5 months old.

First thing in the morning, I can usually count on her playing happily on the floor for 15-20 minutes. Throughout the day, right after a nap or a feed I might be able to get another 5 minutes out of her (maybe).

The rest of the time, either I am down on the floor playing with her or I'm holding her.

Remind me, is this normal at this age? And if it is howwwww does anyone get anything done??

Maybe she is bored, did you try rotating her toys every few days? You can also rotate through places to play whenever she's bored. Like she's bored of the floor, so try bouncer or a different position, facing a new direction with different toys. You shouldn't have to spend 3 hours straight interacting.
Something like this:
Floor play on tummy with toys ab+c until she gets bored
Pick her up and sing her a song
Put her in bouncer with toys de+f until she's bored
Hold her for ten min
Floor play on back in different location with toys g+h

You can also start off independent play with interacting and then sneak away when she's engaged, instead of just putting her down with her toys and walking away. That could keep her engaged longer.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics